I'm back and recovering!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back and recovering!!!!

Thank you to all my friends here for supporting me through this transplant!

Me and my husband are back and we are recovering just fine. He is already walking around and off painkillers although not out of the woods yet. I am still very sore but am so happy to be through it all!

Had to have bonus surgery too. Nothing is ever perfect.. When they took out his kidney they found that the major aterial vein leading to 1/4 of his posterior kidney had an annuerism and had ruptured. Thereby constricting the blood leading to his kidney. They said that in the CAT scan from September the vein is just fine and they cant explain why it happened since then. In any case they had to get my consent before going under to take a vein from my leg to use instead. I was told that it wont get as much blood to that area as it would've if it were his proper vein but that it would still get enough blood and even still he is 6'2 and i'm 5'3 and its more kidney than I would have in one normal kidney for someone my size. So grateful that this could be done and still used.

I am only on 3 medicines. This blows my mind. I got out of taking any blood pressure med since I dont have high BP and I got out of any steroids simply because we matched 3/6 so I'm not high risk.

Still in pain though but grateful to be back. i am instructed to eat 9 oz of protein a day. These pain meds are suppressing my hunger. Another cruel joke on us kidney patients. When you finally get your kidney and can eat, you just CANT!.. I actually threw up in the hospital after my first solid meal of roast beef and gravy. Just TOO much after days of broth and days before on the kidney diet for so long. Not to mention I had a stupid nurse give me a laxative when I hadnt eaten solid food yet. Talk about making me sick!

Anyways, so happy to share with you and to rejoin discussions on this site with you all!

LanaB
    TRANSPLANT SCHEDULED NOV 14, 2011 THANKS TO MY AMAZING HUSBAND!!!
    Today oct 11th.Still no dialysis -and at 9% GFR,
    think i'm gonna make it!!!

Diagnosed 2005 CKD3.
    Benign Glomulersclerosis- not hereditary, no known cause
    Non-diabetic, normal BP
    Hospital error 2008 caused me to plummet straight to CKD5
    07/2011 -CKD 5 -GFR 11 - Not on Dialysis
    Awaiting transplant, doing eval, hoping for live donor match

Re: I'm back and recovering!!!!

Great to hear from you, Lana! So glad you and your husband are doing so well.
    sigpic

Comment

So incredibly happy for you both! Prayers continue for a complete & speedy recovery & so good to hear from you! <3<3
      "a true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths.,feels your fears but forrtifies your faith,sees your anxieties but frees your spirit & recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities"

in center hemo awaiting cath placement for home PD
      Type 2 Diabetic
      Potassium/phosphate & protein restricted
      feeling stronger every day! :-)

Comment

Wonderful news Lana! Blessings to you both. Take it easy now.

Toni
        May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
        Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

Thank you everyone!!

Still VERY sore. But very glad to be through it. Missed you guys so much in the hospital that week especially..

xo
          LanaB

Diagnosed 2005 CKD3.
          Non-diabetic, normal BP

Comment

Congratulations !!!!
            My husbands oldest son is starting the process to see if he is a match. Hopefully that will work out !!! We had one other friend that called in ... but her BMI was over the limit. But at leasr she tried !!!

So we are keeping our fingers crossed !!!

Take care of yourselves and here's praying that you both heal quickly !!!

Comment

(((((((((((((Lana))))))))))))

So happy to hear you're back home.
              Yeah you'll be sore for a little bit. Sorry to hear you extra procure done, but
              it sure sounds like you're on the way to great recovery.

WOW, three drugs is excellent. I'm happy to hear you're not on steroids, YAY!!!

I know you were told about drinking water (LOTS OF IT). Drinking plenty of water
              will prevent drug toxicity to your new kidney.

Wishing you both a speedy recovery !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

wow that is awesome!!!!! Happy Thanksgiving to you what a blessing and a true thanksgiving!!!!
                ckd,stage3,due to birth defect/refulx,controlled b/p

Comment

Lana,

Wow, what terrific news!!!! I am so happy for you and your husband!!! Great early Thanksgiving blessing!!! I hope that you both continue to do great with your recovery. You are in my thoughts and prayers girl!!!

Patty
                  Patty Lewis
                  Stage 5 CKD
                  PD Dialysis since Dec 2009
                  On transplant list July 15, 2011
                  patty.lewis 19@ yahoo.com

Comment

Hi hon, just checking in on you to see how you are feeling.
                    Boyfriend is the renal patient:

Diabetes completely controlled with diet
                    Hypertension better with the new med schedule.

PD as of 7/25/2011

Finally got the call on 12/20/2011 that he has been listed at Cedars Sinai.

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!! And thanks for your wishes.

Lots to be thankful for me for sure. I am still extremley sore but doing fine. Nothing more to report right now.

Enjoy your dinners and family time everyone!

God Bless!

LanaB

Diagnosed 2005 CKD3.
                      Non-diabetic, normal BP

Comment

Hi Lana!!
                        I was wondering if you'd be willing to share where you got your transplant. I had mine on July 11th of this year and I'm still on TONS of meds. Also, my mom was a 3/6 antigen match, but they say I'll stay on 5mg of prednisone for life and I HATE IT!! I've gained about 15 lbs since surgery because I am hungry ALL the time! Sometimes pencils and paper even look appetizing! Anyway, I'm just curious about the different protocol of different hospitals. Congrats on the new organ and I can tell you from experience that it only gets better!!
                        Iffer
                        MGN diagnosed 1985, non-diabetic,
                        NxStage home hemodialysis from Feb thru July 2011,
                        Live donor (Mom) transplant on 7/11/11,

Comment

I hope you got to eat a awesome thanksgiving dinner

Comment

Hi llfer!

Congrats on receiving your transplant too! So sorry to hear you are on prednisone. I know it can make people really hungry. Its awful.

I am only on three meds but am taking a lot of them. I have to take 9 in the morning and 11 in the evening. Then still pain meds right now on top as well. Tacrolimus and Cellcept and I think Septra?? in the pm.

I was told in my hospital that it is brand new protocal not to use prednisone if you matched at 3/6. I was told that it depends on the hospital still. I am in Canada actually in Vancouver BC and I had my surgery downtown at St Paul's hospital.

I think you should ask around to see about getting taken off of prednisone. I do think its possible since other hospitals are doing this. To be honest, if their doing this in Canada then they should be doing this around the US. Obviously things move slower in Canada and it must be already being done in the US. Do not stop searching and looking and find the Doctor or nephrologist who will take you off of them. 3/6 is enough and they have done successful trial on this.

So glad to hear you say that transplant will get better! I know it will but just had a rough morning with headache and then threw up this morning from the nausea. I know it will all be better soon, your right.

Keep me updated on what you find out. Will be thinking of you!

God Bless!

LanaB

Diagnosed 2005 CKD3.
                            Non-diabetic, normal BP

Comment

Hi Lana ,Just wondering what your creat.is now? and what foods you can eat now? Im so happy for you and hope all continues to go well for you and your hubby!!

Comment

Working...
                              X