Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post Transplant can Fistula be used for Blood work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• angieskidney
    replied
    Re: Post Transplant can Fistula be used for Blood work?

Wow mine is still going strong and they said here they don't remove it unless it is causing problems. With me it is just smart to leave mine in since they told me they only expect an average of 5 yrs life out of my kidney transplant. Great .. wish I would have known that before hand.

As it is now I go to my kidney clinic who also does dialysis for blood and only they draw labs. I won't go to normal labs as they have trouble sticking with only the one arm and I was told the reason to stay away from the fistula arm is complications can happen when it is still an active fistula with a bruit and thrill. Even if not being used. But once a fistula is no longer active then it is safe to use for blood work again.

Leave a comment:

• katkitlewis03
    replied
    Re:Using your fistula now for blood work

Hi Angie after i got my transplat and I knew I weren't going to be use my fistula anymore I got it removed because my arm was so unattracted with a large vein annoying me so I had the surgery to romove the large vein. Once it became normal size, I never used it for blood work. It was my security arm so when that time come ill be able to use it. and that time is now. I had my fistula put back in and im now using my strong fistula, for my home hemo.

Leave a comment:

• awhess
    replied

My fistula "died" when I got my transplant. It was the first thing I was aware of in recovery. Over a year later and I am fine. Checked with my vascular surgeon who told me not to worry. Lab at nephrologists used fistula arm for blood draw no tournaquet sp! Still use other arm for BP. Hand surgeon told me I'd be back for surgery a year after starting dialysis but I am only now considering hand surgery --both hands-- and it is years later. awhess

Leave a comment:

• Woriarox73
    replied
    Post Transplant can Fistula be used for Blood work

According to the 2 transplant centers I have been to here in FL, the wait it 3-4 years. Id be slap-happy if it were only 6 months lol Of course, it shouldnt make me that happy since I cant seem to even get on the friggin list lol

Leave a comment:

• angieskidney
    replied

Originally posted by Gingerpkd View Post
    On a side note--the results of labs from your fistula arm may be different as they will be getting more arterial blood than venous if it is drawn from your fistula.
    I did not know that but that is important to acknowledge and I will bring that up with my Kidney Clinic next time as I go there in another couple weeks for more blood work.

Thank you. Also I have been reading a lot about Fistula First: http://www.fistulafirst.org/patients/blood_vessels.php

and also found this very informative to print out and show the ones taking my blood: http://links.nephron.com/nephsites/nic/dorsum

Leave a comment:

• Gingerpkd
    replied

The general rule in the US is that the fistula arm should always be protected. There should be no BP's taken on that arm and no blood draws or IV's. In the case that it is impossible to get blood from the non-fistula arm, the MD is contacted and a special order may be obtained to draw from the fistula arm. When I had my transplant, the roommate I had had to get just such an order as they were unable to get blood from her other arm and they needed lots as she was there for a transplant. I had my transplant 2yrs and 2 months ago and still protect my fistula arm and will continue to do so as it is my lifeline in case my transplant stops working.

On a side note--the results of labs from your fistula arm may be different as they will be getting more arterial blood than venous if it is drawn from your fistula.

Leave a comment:

• Post Transplant can Fistula be used for Blood work?

I am wondering .. because I have very bad veins and everyone who tries to take blood out of my non-fistula arm has the hardest time that now the local labs, the local Kidney clinic, and the transplant hospital lab all want take blood out of my fistula arm saying that now I am post transplant that they can.

I heard of the Fistula First program and know to protect my arm EVEN AFTER TRANSPLANT) because I am still young enough to know I could end up back on dialysis some time in my life. I also know someone who only has one vein feeding blood to their hand on their fistula arm who has told me NOT to let them do blood work on the fistula arm. Yet I am tired of fighting the lab staff .. I have nothing to back this up and since I can't find anything online about this I can't help but wonder if I am only over reacting. Do staff have a right to draw blood labs from the fistula arm if I am no longer on dialysis? Am I being a B**ch by fighting them on this issue?? What reasons should I allow or deny?? I really need input on this! Thanks!

Talking with medical staff has not helped at all as it seems like an issue no one is educated enough in to be able to take a firm stand.
Working...
X