My transplant journey....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My transplant journey....

I wasn't ever told anything about plants. I started watering my little orange tree, which is inside my house for now, a month after the transplant, when I was finally allowed to go home.

About yogurt, the Cellcept gives me loose stools, and I was told to eat MORE yogurt, bc it has a bacteria in it that will help regulate the digestive issues. I also take Metamucil to help with it.

I too was told no raw fish and all, and not to eat my steaks bloody but that a little pink was ok. lol Fresh fruits and veggies were fine... Was told to stay away from buffets for the first 6 months, but that it's ok after that, but I don't eat at buffets very often anyway.

It took me a whole month to get over my stupid cold. lol Lost my voice for a week, but no fever or anything, and I could still go to work just fine. It was just a nuisance...I didn't even really feel that sick.
    Shannon
    KidneyFun // Kidney Korner // Organ donation awareness products!
    If the world didn't suck...........We'd all fall off!

Comment

I haven't had my transplant yet and it is taking me a month to get rid of a cold. I hope it doesn't get to be longer afterwards.
      To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

I'm trying the strategy of "don't get the cold" in the first place I had my transplant in February and haven't been sick yet. *knock on wood* Lots of hand-washing, lots of Purell after I touch doorknobs, shake hands, railings, etc. , very careful when eating out. Plus friends, family and co-workers have been extremely considerate of keeping away if they feel the least bit unwell.
        It's not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

That would be wonderful. I am really careful. I don't know where this cold came from, but it was a doozy!

Comment

Great, I think I have given Bob my cold.
            He was transplanted in August.
            Our daughter is getting married in 10 days.
            Do you think he needs to call the doctor?
            He is stubborn but we need him to be well that day! (and every day)

Comment

I would certainly give the doctor a call, if only to find out what meds he can take to feel more comfortable. As you already know, there are many meds he shouldn't take right now because of interactions with the tranplant meds. It may take a while for the cold to disappear, but if there is something that can make him more comfortable for the wedding, I'd go for it. And congrats on your daughter's wedding! May you dance the night away!
              It's not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Yes, I would definitely call the doctor. There is no such thing as being too careful with transplant patients. Congratulations on your daughter's wedding. I hope her dad is able to go and dance with her.

Comment

Thanks, he did call this morning and got a list if what he can take.
                  I am so excited he already has his kidney.
                  We had a pln B becasue I figured he would get the call on the day of wedding.
                  Now he gets to walk her down the aisle for sure.

She sick now too..we may all be coughing but it will be great.

Comment

I got pneumonia 10 days before my wedding and spent the next week in the hospital. I made it out in time for the wedding and a flurry of gown fittings as I had lost about 20 pounds during the illness. I am sure your daughter will make it down the aisle just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Marilyn1947 View Post
                      You are so right. Some say get rid of all pets others just to keep away from litter boxes. I actually found my center to be a bit too lax. I was appalled at the number of visitors that were allowed on the floor.

I also found that I got some conflicting messages. My nurses would say one thing and the Dr. another. Were any of you told not to eat probiotic foods like yogurts etc? Nurses said No , Dr. said he didn't see why not. Also told not to eat raw or even rare meats or fish. That one made sense so have stuck to that.
                      I was told to stay away from cat litter boxes and also bird cages, but that they were ok in my house as long as i wasn't changing the litter.
                      I used to have cats, but would never change the litter anyways...you can get fancy boxes that clean themselves...or thats what other people are for....cleaning, lol (just kidding sort of...).

I was also told not to have any Sushi.
                      To me that seems like a silly rule as you can get "cooked" sushi.
                      I used to eat sushi 3 times a week (don't right now as can't get out, sick and bad weather),
                      but i used to buy sushi with grilled salmon, breaded shrimp, cooked shrimp, california roll..made with the fake grocery store crab...even seen bbq chicken sushi before.

I never was told anything about probiotic foods.
                      I never eat them anyway because all those fortified foods just seem weird and "fake".
                      I like my plain no name yogurt with jam....or plain!
                      I see orange juice with probiotic now and just think it is a weird mutant "freak" food.
                      Usually buy plain Tropicana or else press my own juice and water it down....

Comment

Thanks for all the great feedback. This journey just keeps evolving.Nan Hope the wedding is a smashBob must be to be able to walk his daughter down the aisle.I was diagnosed with my kidney failure just a couple of months before my daughter's wedding and it was just sheer will that kept me going. Crashed pretty badly after but it was worth every minute of the whole wedding deal.
                        Still have this rotten cold.. 8 weeks now.. and can't seem to shake it. No fever or other signs of infection.. x-rays all clear but for the last 2 weeks have had a brutal cough at night and leaves me so achy and sore all day. Just expected this Chritmas to be so different than the last three!! Just whining now so will stop. Have had a couple of pity parties but they were short and not well atttended!!
                        Take care all.

Comment

Working...
                        X