• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kdee
    replied
    Re: Transplants & Pets

Originally posted by Blessed View Post
    Wow, this is worrying me! I just started dialysis today, and I'm hoping for a transplant. I have 2 little kitties and I live alone. I will definitely need to change the litter... My Dr. already advised me to wear a mask and rubber gloves so I just started doing that. Could I be turned down for a transplant? Or, is it a bad idea to even get a transplant since I know I will have to be exposed to the litter box? I just don't think giving up my pets would be an option, they are my only family!
    Don't get too caught up in this. If they're indoor cats and you have to deal with the litter box buy one of those fancy litter maid things. They rake the box after every use and the waste goes into a container at the end that you can empty wearing gloves and mask. That should limit your exposure. If you're still concerned put one of those air purifiers with the ultraviolet light in it in the same room and just leave it on. There is always a way! I had a cat but he went outside. I've also had a dog most of the time who sleeps in my bed and haven't had any problems.

Leave a comment:

• jennyc
    replied

hi, strange at our info sessions we were told cats are a no no due to the toxic bacteria/diseases they carry in their mouths, under their claws and in their poo. if they bite or scratch another cat/human/animal it can become very septic very quickly.

Leave a comment:

• jero12
    replied

but darling, it is for your own good...
    don't doubt about taking a transplant...

Leave a comment:

• Blessed
    replied

Wow, this is worrying me! I just started dialysis today, and I'm hoping for a transplant. I have 2 little kitties and I live alone. I will definitely need to change the litter... My Dr. already advised me to wear a mask and rubber gloves so I just started doing that. Could I be turned down for a transplant? Or, is it a bad idea to even get a transplant since I know I will have to be exposed to the litter box? I just don't think giving up my pets would be an option, they are my only family!

Leave a comment:

• Christine
    replied

Originally posted by LindaE View Post
    Isn't it funny how various transplant centers have different protocols? I have cats, dogs, a parrot and was never told to get rid of any. I did tell them when I got the bird but it was not a concern. I do use precautions when changing him and he is never allowed to get excessively dirty. My husband takes care of the litter boxes but I do everything else with the cats and dogs. Every time frame changed after the transplant. I was told one thing in the beginning but those time frames changed when I arrived home. I did have to stay in St. Louis for 3 weeks after the transplant and my brother had to remove all his potted plants while I was there. I did in my plants outside, those that have survived the heat wave here. Life is pretty normal in every other way.
    I am on the transplant waiting list in Pittsburgh. I met with my team in March. I remember being asked about pets, but what is the issue with potted plants? I hope to have my transplant surgery sometime in Dec/Jan (living donor currently undergoing final testing). I'm in stage 5 but not yet on dialysis

Leave a comment:

• eldayforum
    replied

good thing you are washing your hand unlike our neighbor...
    after washing the cat litter... she just put it there and let it dry.... WITHOUT washing her hands...
    eeeeewww!!!!

Directors Insolvency Help

Leave a comment:

• angieskidney
    replied

To change the cat litter (since the automatic kind I have you still have to empty out the receptacle once a week) I wear gloves and a mask and still wash my hands afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• flair3366
    replied

Ronald,

I had my transplant 4 weeks ago, and they told dogs are OK, but dont get any new animals for 3 months, dont clean out litter boxes or clean up your dogs waste for 3 months. I have two dogs and they told me that it was fine, just be careful and wash your hands after petting or playing with them. I hope this helps.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• live2learn
    replied

My husband just had his transplant done 2 weeks ago, and what we've been told is if you already have pets in the house, you don't have to get rid of them, just use extra precautions and common sense. As most people have mentioned, don't change the litter or pick up after your dog. For other animals, too, don't handle cleaning up the poop. After spending time petting, grooming, etc an animal that has been outside, wash your hands well.

Since we do not yet have animals, and he has been wanting another cat, we were thrilled to learn that this is not impossible (he was originally told it would be). The rule they gave us was to wait until after the first 6 months and then it would be ok to get a new cat - again, I will have to clean the liter box, and if he accidentally gets scratched, we will have to clean the area thoroughly, and monitor for any signs of infection, but aside from that - pets are fine.

It's a matter of common sense much like anything else, and the transplant teams also understand that some of us just can't live without our pets!

Leave a comment:

• FMBK
    replied

I too have heard it is fine to have pets. I certainly would not change my life if it was otherwise. I have three cats who are very important members of my life and family. I was also told to be careful changing the litter tray for the first few weeks....advised to have someone else do it for the first 3 to 4 weeks. Thereafter, to wear gloves and use a mask. I was told not to travel via public transportation for the first 3 to 4 weeks too. That was all I was told. (I am pre-transplant, by the way.) I guess it does depend on your doctor and the team you work with.

Leave a comment:

• kdee
    replied

Good idea that automatic cat litter thing. Then you don't have to actually touch the stuff. My cat was trained to go outside and I had a pet door so that solved that problem. My chihuahua is not as obliging but she has become accustomed to using a pee pad which I just throw in the washing machine. She generally does her big job outside. I've owned pets pretty much the entire time during my transplant without any problems that I'm aware of. My Chihuahua has slept with me for the past 11 years. I wonder if some people are more prone to problems arising from exposure to animals than others?

Leave a comment:

• angieskidney
    replied

Originally posted by kdee View Post
    As far as digging in the dirt...well, every single time I went with my parents to get wood after my transplant I ended up with pus pockets in the skin on my hands even when I wore gloves. So... I was banned from handling the wood (often covered in dirt) and given other jobs. Also, you can get a parasite from the earth that destroys your vision. So I'd say gardening would be something you'd want to wear a lot of protection for-gloves, mask, wrap around sunglasses, big floppy hat (skin cancer is a real problem for us immuno suppressed folks!!!).
    ENJOY your life!
    Thank you for that! I was never told to not dig in dirt but the first time I saw that it was in this thread by 2 other people. You were the first to go into more detail however and for that I thank you. I live alone and in the front side of an apartment building where they encourage you to have flowers. So I just got into that 2 years ago (before my transplant) so when I read this I worried. I do wear gloves but I noticed they are not that good (cheap ones) as the dirt / water soaks through.

I used to have a bird with my first transplant and never had a problem caused by it. But I found changing its cage easy with lining the bottom of the cage .. just pull that paper out and replace. Easier than changing cat litter. That is for sure.. But even with cat litter, my fiance, worried about me and my immune system .. bought me an automatic cat litter box:

http://www.fitsmybudget.com/product....cat=748&page=3

Leave a comment:

• kdee
    replied

I suppose my transplant team would be horrified! I'm 20 years out from my transplant and have spent the last 11 of those sleeping with a chihuahua and 5 of those years owning a cat who also slept in my bed with me (tricky I know). He was an outdoor cat so no litter box (cat/dog door instead). I've never had any ill affects. I've also owned fish and a fire bellied newt with no problems. No bird of my own but a friend whose house was practically an aviary and NOT very clean and no ill affects. So...while I wouldn't recommend purposely exposing yourself especially in the beginning... I think that some teams error way on the side of caution. As far as digging in the dirt...well, every single time I went with my parents to get wood after my transplant I ended up with pus pockets in the skin on my hands even when I wore gloves. So... I was banned from handling the wood (often covered in dirt) and given other jobs. Also, you can get a parasite from the earth that destroys your vision. So I'd say gardening would be something you'd want to wear a lot of protection for-gloves, mask, wrap around sunglasses, big floppy hat (skin cancer is a real problem for us immuno suppressed folks!!!). But where there is a will...Live your life! You are more than a transplanted kidney and just walking out the door has risk attached to it. Do what you can to reduce known risks but don't let the risk stop you from enjoying what you love! Take some steps to protect yourself where possible and ENJOY your life!

Leave a comment:

• ronald
    replied

I just had my transplant on april 8,2009. at discharge, I was asked what pets I had.
    A cat, and an iguana. the iguana has to go, I was told, but the cat could stay as long as I had no contact with the litter box. Fortunately the iguana is my son's and he just moved into his own apartment so Iggy is moving.

Leave a comment:

• angieskidney
    replied

Originally posted by ronald View Post
    During a discussion of transplants my neph told me that I would'nt be allowed to have pets. First time I heard that one.anyone else hear of that?
    I was never told that. I own a cat. The only thing I need to watch for was Cat Scratch Fever due to a lower immune system and that changing a cat litter box I must take huge precautions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X