X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Transplants & Pets

To change the cat litter (since the automatic kind I have you still have to empty out the receptacle once a week) I wear gloves and a mask and still wash my hands afterwards.
    Angie
    Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
    • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

good thing you are washing your hand unlike our neighbor...
      after washing the cat litter... she just put it there and let it dry.... WITHOUT washing her hands...
      eeeeewww!!!!

Directors Insolvency Help

Comment

Originally posted by LindaE View Post
        Isn't it funny how various transplant centers have different protocols? I have cats, dogs, a parrot and was never told to get rid of any. I did tell them when I got the bird but it was not a concern. I do use precautions when changing him and he is never allowed to get excessively dirty. My husband takes care of the litter boxes but I do everything else with the cats and dogs. Every time frame changed after the transplant. I was told one thing in the beginning but those time frames changed when I arrived home. I did have to stay in St. Louis for 3 weeks after the transplant and my brother had to remove all his potted plants while I was there. I did in my plants outside, those that have survived the heat wave here. Life is pretty normal in every other way.
        I am on the transplant waiting list in Pittsburgh. I met with my team in March. I remember being asked about pets, but what is the issue with potted plants? I hope to have my transplant surgery sometime in Dec/Jan (living donor currently undergoing final testing). I'm in stage 5 but not yet on dialysis

Comment

Wow, this is worrying me! I just started dialysis today, and I'm hoping for a transplant. I have 2 little kitties and I live alone. I will definitely need to change the litter... My Dr. already advised me to wear a mask and rubber gloves so I just started doing that. Could I be turned down for a transplant? Or, is it a bad idea to even get a transplant since I know I will have to be exposed to the litter box? I just don't think giving up my pets would be an option, they are my only family!
          Lori

Comment

but darling, it is for your own good...
            don't doubt about taking a transplant...
            CL Finance

Comment

hi, strange at our info sessions we were told cats are a no no due to the toxic bacteria/diseases they carry in their mouths, under their claws and in their poo. if they bite or scratch another cat/human/animal it can become very septic very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Blessed View Post
                Wow, this is worrying me! I just started dialysis today, and I'm hoping for a transplant. I have 2 little kitties and I live alone. I will definitely need to change the litter... My Dr. already advised me to wear a mask and rubber gloves so I just started doing that. Could I be turned down for a transplant? Or, is it a bad idea to even get a transplant since I know I will have to be exposed to the litter box? I just don't think giving up my pets would be an option, they are my only family!
                Don't get too caught up in this. If they're indoor cats and you have to deal with the litter box buy one of those fancy litter maid things. They rake the box after every use and the waste goes into a container at the end that you can empty wearing gloves and mask. That should limit your exposure. If you're still concerned put one of those air purifiers with the ultraviolet light in it in the same room and just leave it on. There is always a way! I had a cat but he went outside. I've also had a dog most of the time who sleeps in my bed and haven't had any problems.

Comment