Transplants & Pets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transplants & Pets

During a discussion of transplants my neph told me that I would'nt be allowed to have pets. First time I heard that one.anyone else hear of that?

Hi!

I was not told that I can't have pets but was told I needed to be away for from them for 8 weeks. I was home a week when they were allowed home again. I was also told to keep away from potted plants for a prescribed amount of time. I have cats, no problem there. I was told to wear a mask in public for 8-12 weeks. I was told I could quit wearing a mask 2 weeks after arriving home but keep some handy to wear if it is a particularly bad part of the season and I can feel the germs from other people coughing bouncing off my body. I do sometimes still wear one when I am in large groups. I work as a receptionist, face to face with clients and so far, 2 years, have not had even a cold. Very fortunate indeed. Maybe my story is unusual but I have always felt that not babying myself has helped alot. Every transplant team has guidelines and I would surely adhere to your's.
    "Within every adversity lies a slumbering possibility"
    Linda
    Tx: 7/28/2005
    St. Louis University Hospital

Comment

They told you 8 weeks and then changed it to one week?

Comment

This is first time I hear this. Is this only for transplant recipients or does it apply to home dialysis patients as well? Check out my two doggies while having dialysis at home..

My 2 Hua Huas..
        My Blog Site
        Http://www.dailyhemo.org
        sigpic

Comment

I think it was just for transplant, but I remember meeting with the transplant coordinator earlier this year, and she asked me about pets( 1 cat and 1 iguana) and I dont think she even mentioned getting rid of them.

Comment

nice pups, gus. about the same size as "iggy"

Comment

I was told that I wouldn't ever be allowed to be in the same room with reptiles, birds, and other weird pets like that with a transplant or dialysis. The only animals I can have are cats and dogs, and even then, I'm not allowed to be in the same room with the litter box. That's what I was told anyway.
              Shannon
              KidneyFun // Kidney Korner // Organ donation awareness products!
              If the world didn't suck...........We'd all fall off!

Comment

The iguana is in a very large glass enclosure. She doesnt come out, except to go to the vet once a year.The tank is in our family room but it is keep clean, and since it belongs to my son, he maintains it all. I have no contact with it, other than it being where it is located.
                wonder if thats still a problem?

Comment

Pet restrictions vary, depending on where you have your transplant done and who is on the team.

If you have birds, reptiles, or other exotic pets most teams will insist that they be removed from your environment. For dogs and cats, few teams will insist that you get rid of them permanently, but some will. Most will require a few weeks to a few months, and that you do not clean the litter box. After many months some recipients do clean the litter box, but wear a mask and gloves, and either a gown or change clothes when they're finished.

You tell the team you will do whatever they require to get that kidney. You can persuade them to change their mind later.

BTW, my husband is on dialysis and his dog is ALWAYS in the room with him, usually asleep on his bed and he is in the recliner right next to the bed. She was sleeping on the bed when our training nurse, 4 other nurses and two patients observed our first dialysis at home. No one said a word about the dog being in the room. (The dog learned in the first couple of weeks to avoid the area around the recliner during set-up, dialysis, and taking him off the machine because she got tired of me making her move out of the way.

Comment

about pets

The only thing I was told I could not have was birds. Some time back the question was

raised about maijuana use precluding transplants,we were told the reason you would not even

be considered for a transplant was becouse of a fungus commonly found on it.
                    grammy g

Comment

Isn't it funny how various transplant centers have different protocols? I have cats, dogs, a parrot and was never told to get rid of any. I did tell them when I got the bird but it was not a concern. I do use precautions when changing him and he is never allowed to get excessively dirty. My husband takes care of the litter boxes but I do everything else with the cats and dogs. Every time frame changed after the transplant. I was told one thing in the beginning but those time frames changed when I arrived home. I did have to stay in St. Louis for 3 weeks after the transplant and my brother had to remove all his potted plants while I was there. I did in my plants outside, those that have survived the heat wave here. Life is pretty normal in every other way.
                      "Within every adversity lies a slumbering possibility"
                      Linda
                      Tx: 7/28/2005
                      St. Louis University Hospital

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone.
                        I'm still confused as what to do though. I'm not on dialysis yet, but an on the transplant list. I'm almost positive the transplant co-ordinator asked about the pets when I was being considered for transplant, and I'm sure I told her what pets we had. she never said anything about them. This has only come up since last week when I saw my neph.just something else to worry about.

Comment

One of the things that you learn with this disease is not to sweat the small stuff. Tell them what they need to hear, if necessary, and cope with the pet issue if it comes up again. Pets are very important, and if you follow strict sanitary procedures you'll be OK, so don't let them take your pets from you, except I suspect the iguana will have to go.
                          To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

Wow, this is the first I have heard.
                            We do not have pets, we have children with 4 legs and fur.
                            We have 2 dogs and a bearded dragon.
                            At least one of the dogs is usually in the room
                            while Bob is dialyzing. The lizard is upstaris so should not be an issue.
                            We could rid of them if we absolutley had to but would rather not.
                            We also had our dogs in the room when the nurse came for our home visit.

I guess we better ask.....

Comment

Hi, Nanner. I dont want to beat this topic to death, but I'm Gonna you ask some more questions.I take it that Bob is on home hemo?. I am leaning toward pkd when I have to start. I would say if the nurse knows about the dogs then it should'nt be an issue. Is bob on the transplant list?. What kind of enclosure is the dragon in? Our Igauna is in a huge glass enclosure. rarely comes out, and the tank is kept very clean. I would hate to get rid of her too. she is part of the family.I think the problem with igauana's and other exotic animals of that type is mainly due to the possible spread of salnonella. But if the tank is kept clean and the animal checked by a vet often, the chances are minimal. Do the nurses come to the home for inspections?

Comment

Working...
                              X