Minor wanting to donate to mom, help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor wanting to donate to mom, help!

Hi, I'm 16 and my mom has been in dialysis for over a year now, and after everything that's happened I've made the decision that I want to donate my kidney to her, I haven't told her yet or anyone actually because I'm just now doing all the research. I'm very scared, I love doing volleyball and yoga and being active and the scar on my stomach doesn't sound appealing at all, but I feel those might be selfish reasons to not do it? She's my mom and I love her and can't stand seeing her in dialysis every night and waiting for a donor and I don't know I feel like I have to do this, but I'm so scared of how it might affect my life, and will I miss school while the surgery and all that goes on ? I can't miss school specially with the program I'm in, and my whole exercise routine would have to stop, and I'm worried I might miss some trips, but those might be selfish reasons as well right? It's her life and health and no one should be going to sleep connected to a machine. I'm just so scared and want to talk to someone who doesn't know me to avoid bias you know, sorry this is long!

Talk to your mom about your fears. She may not want you to donate since you are young. It is hard to see someone suffer. You are sort of young to make this kind of decision. I know you want to help your mom and she will be happy that you wanted to help. But honestly if you can't get past the idea that it would leave a scar or that you would miss exercise and classes then you are probably not mature enough to donate anyway. I hope it all works out for you and your mom.

Comment

Working...
    X