Hello. Im new here and scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello. Im new here and scared

A little about myself. I am 37 and a single mother of 3 boys 17, 9, and 7. I was diagnosed with CKD stage 2 and medullary sponge kidney about 5 years ago. They found that my left kidney was almost completely calcified and my right is very enlarged. I really felt alone after the diagnosis bcuz there was no discussion about treatment or anything and since I hardly went to the Dr. before the dx I didnt have a regular dr to go to. So i just picked one. Still, she acted like my issues were non life threatening so Ive left it at that.

Well for the last few months I am starting to feel like something is happening. I cant remember anything. Its so bad my kids teachers have said something to me. I thought it must be that i am just overwhelmed since Im now raising the kids alone. I have been at my job for 17 years and I am forgeting details that are causing me to get written up. Ive never been written up. If I get upset I cant get a sentence out with out fumbling my words. I cant even walk up a flight of stairs without having to stop and sit down bcuz my legs feel so weak and I cant catch my breath. I am out of shape but I am 130 lbs it shouldnt be that hard to walk up stairs at 37. I dont care how much sleep I get I am tired to the point where my eyes burn. Yet i wake up all thru the night. I tried to flip my mattress today and got the sharpest pain in my right kidney area I have ever felt that I fell to my knees and thought I was going to throw up. I also have noticed that my face is red now and I have also had the muscle twitches that never go away and ppl I talk to say its prolly dehydration. This sounds like a lot but its all been over a period of about 5 months and after that pain today and the weakness I am starting to think Im in denial. I keep saying its not my kidney disease, I just need to get in shape and stop being lazy. Im overwhelmed and stressed but as I keep reading about the kidneys and symptoms Im starting to think I need to do something. But as I said I really dont have a good dr. My doctor is an internal medicine Dr. I dunno where to go or what to do. When I go to her she does the standard chem 11 and a urine test and those usually come back ok (i havent had one in 8 months) and she tells me everything is normal. So I came here cuz I feel alone. Am I just worried for no reason? Thank you for reading.

Originally posted by Mommamia3 View Post
    A little about myself. I am 37 and a single mother of 3 boys 17, 9, and 7. I was diagnosed with CKD stage 2 and medullary sponge kidney about 5 years ago. They found that my left kidney was almost completely calcified and my right is very enlarged. I really felt alone after the diagnosis bcuz there was no discussion about treatment or anything and since I hardly went to the Dr. before the dx I didnt have a regular dr to go to. So i just picked one. Still, she acted like my issues were non life threatening so Ive left it at that.

Well for the last few months I am starting to feel like something is happening. I cant remember anything. Its so bad my kids teachers have said something to me. I thought it must be that i am just overwhelmed since Im now raising the kids alone. I have been at my job for 17 years and I am forgeting details that are causing me to get written up. Ive never been written up. If I get upset I cant get a sentence out with out fumbling my words. I cant even walk up a flight of stairs without having to stop and sit down bcuz my legs feel so weak and I cant catch my breath. I am out of shape but I am 130 lbs it shouldnt be that hard to walk up stairs at 37. I dont care how much sleep I get I am tired to the point where my eyes burn. Yet i wake up all thru the night. I tried to flip my mattress today and got the sharpest pain in my right kidney area I have ever felt that I fell to my knees and thought I was going to throw up. I also have noticed that my face is red now and I have also had the muscle twitches that never go away and ppl I talk to say its prolly dehydration. This sounds like a lot but its all been over a period of about 5 months and after that pain today and the weakness I am starting to think Im in denial. I keep saying its not my kidney disease, I just need to get in shape and stop being lazy. Im overwhelmed and stressed but as I keep reading about the kidneys and symptoms Im starting to think I need to do something. But as I said I really dont have a good dr. My doctor is an internal medicine Dr. I dunno where to go or what to do. When I go to her she does the standard chem 11 and a urine test and those usually come back ok (i havent had one in 8 months) and she tells me everything is normal. So I came here cuz I feel alone. Am I just worried for no reason? Thank you for reading.
    Mommamia,
    Just keep educating yourself on why your kidneys failed as well as the different types of dialysis. Your medical team/nephrologist should inform you about all types of dialysis available, even if they do not offer it at the center you are at. Together, after knowing pros and cons of each type, make an educated choice on the type that may best fit your lifestyle...
    NxStage - Since April - 06
    Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Comment

It is your body...educate yourself. Start now by watching your diet to help your kidneys, see a renal dietician if you can. If you have no faith in your doc , than find another one. Understand your blood work results.
      Have a Healthy & Happy 2013
      Linda a/k/a Herb's wife

Comment

The toxins that are not being filtered out of your blood by the malfunctioning kidneys are effecting your cognitive functions and your physical endurance. I went through the same thing. Take a look at by blog and click on the New Patient button or search "New Patient". It may be of some help. My blog is ar www.DevonTexas.WordPress.com. I write about all things associated with dialysis and kidney failure.

And, I am so very sorry you have to go through this. But you're not alone. We are with you.

Devon
        Fistula - March 2008
        Began Dialysis - August 2008
        Fistula Revision - Feb 2011

Dialysis Patient Citizens, Patient Ambassador
        NW14 ESRD Network, Patient Advisory Committee Member
        CDC Infections Control Discussion Panel Member
        National Kidney Foundation Peer-to-Peer Mentor

Blog: www.DevonTexas.com

Comment

Working...
        X