Weight Loss Surgery to combat CKD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Loss Surgery to combat CKD?

I was diagnosed with stage 4 CKD last summer. When I got to GFR of 20 this summer, my neph suggested I start contacting hospitals in the area to get on the transplant list. Of course I went to the best one in my traveling range and after the initial appointment I met with the head surgeon. He told me that although my kidneys make me a great candidate for a transplant, my weight does not. He said they will not accept me as a patient until I lose at lest 50 lbs and will NOT perform a transplant (I have a donor) until I lose 100 lbs. (I got the same response from 2 other hospitals too!)

THEN he continued on to suggest that I have bariatric surgery to make it happen quickly so that I can avoid dialysis and go right for the transplant. Needless to say I ran screaming from his office clutching my poor damaged kidneys like a wounded animal (ok not really, but you get how I felt!) and called my Neph right away! Strangely enough she thought it was a fantastic idea and has even written letters to my insurance company requesting immediate approval! Apparently they both agree that the surgery wouldn't do very much harm, if any at all to my kidneys.

So I guess I'm having this done! Has anyone else had weight loss surgery like this before? If so, did it work?? My GFR is 15, creat 4.2 now and I'm scheduled for surgery next month. I've been told to prepare to stay in the hospital a little longer than normal people just in case there are complications, and to not be surprised if I need dialysis while in the hospital, but it should only be a temporary thing.

Any type of input is appreciated.

Thanks!

One of the transplant coordintor nurses told me that they had a patient last year who had to lose 50 lbs before being ok'd for a transplant. She had bariatric surgery, lost the weight, got the transplant. Everything went smoothly as far as the medical part goes. You have a heck of an incentive to get this weight off quickly, so I wish you the best of luck.

Comment

Thanks Katey. It's good to know there's someone out there that went through this successfully!

Comment

Jems, I had gastric bypass in 2008 with GFR in the 20's....creatinine around 2. All docs were on board including neph....we all thought this would slow the progression of my kidney failure. Long story short,in 2010,I had to begin hemodialysis after weight loss of two hundred pounds. My neph. was surprised at the outcome of the surgery because usually the surgery does help preserve your kidney function. I will tell you that the surgery was the best thing I ever did for my health and life even if the end result was dialysis. The surgery is a piece of cake or at least it was for me...surgery on Mon....home on Wed.. I would say have it done for your total healths sake.

Comment

Jems... I've been told the same thing by the hospitals around here, but I have not decided whether or not to go through with the surgery. Please update this forum with your progress and let us know how it is going for you. I see you should have had the surgery by now.

Waiting for an update

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X