Right & Left Heart Cath & contrast dye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right & Left Heart Cath & contrast dye

Friday, I am scheduled for a Right & Left Heart Cath to measure the pressures in the heart & lungs. They are aware of my kidney probs.
    I have scanned the archives but nothing on the heart cath. I did learn I should drink lots of water the day before & day of procedure.
    Anyone have any other ideas to help protect my kidneys from the contrast dye impact?

My docs are stymied as to why I have such severe shortness of breath & edema, and now wondering if I have Pulmonary Hypertension. ( High blood pressure in the lungs) These caths are the only way they can test the pressures.
    Thanx,
    Sunny

Gramma13,

I'm so sorry you're dealing with shortness of breath. I hope they can figure out what's causing it and fix it for you.

As far precautions to take for your kidneys, ask your neph if Mucomyst (acetylcysteine) will be beneficial for you.

MUCOMYST/acetylcysteine
    To Decrease risk of contrast-induced nephropathy: (4 doses total):
    600 mg (3ml) po BID on the day before the contrast injection, then
    600 mg (3ml) in a.m. on the day of the contrast injection (immediately before) and
    600 mg (3ml) in the evening.
    In all cases the patient should be well hydrated.
    This is particularly important in patients with underlying renal dx or diabetes mellitus. Hydrate patient with saline concurrently.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Hi Sunny, I don't know too much about heart cathing but I am having a renal angiogram next wed. And they said the dye can harm my kidneys. I guess I would like any info anyone may have for me too. I wish you the best Sunny. Take care! Amy

Comment

Originally posted by amyleigh2 View Post
        Hi Sunny, I don't know too much about heart cathing but I am having a renal angiogram next wed. And they said the dye can harm my kidneys. I guess I would like any info anyone may have for me too. I wish you the best Sunny. Take care! Amy
        Amy,
        ask about Mucomyst.
        I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

I was given Mucomyst for my heart cath and also for my spinal study both times my creatine improved after the procedure. I was also hydrated with IV"s good luck with your procedure.
          Diabetic oct 2011
          CKD Diagnosed 2009
          GFR range 22-33 goes up and down

Comment

Marina.... thanx so much for your input!! I called the kidney doc & nurse spoke with me & said my GFR was high enough that wouldn't need the Mucomyst. then she called the cardiologist to see what protocol they would be following & was told they would use a bicarbonate flush.... sounds like a t-bowl cleaner!! LOL!! She said they will use extreme caution since they are working with the kidney care office. I will aslo be pushing the water today to hydrate & also in the am. appreciate your help!
            Suuny

Comment

Amy.... best of luck on the renal angiogram next week. Keep us posted...
              Sunny

Comment

Nan... good to know your creatine improved after your procedures!! I wonder if they will hydrate me with IV... will know tomorrow.
                thanx for writing,
                Sunny

Comment

Working...
                X