Stage 4 CKD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stage 4 CKD

I have stage 4 CKD but I do not have any symptoms is this normal? I have been living with CKD for about 12 years now.

Re: Stage 4 CKD

Try drinking PELLEGRINO mineral water (from ITALY). My eGFR was 19 and after drinking it for a month, it went up to 37 now. PLEASE TRY!!!

Also, ask your doctor to cut down any unnecessary medications. I cut down FUROSEMIDE and SPIRONOLACTONE and my kidney is better

I want to tell everyone that has CKD to try drinking this mineral water. IT REALLY WORKS!!!!

Comment

I will buy some mineral water 2morrow. I am not on any medication, not even blood pressure medicine.

Comment

I am not complaining, my GFR is 31 and my creatine is 2.8. I sometimes wonder if it could be a false-positive. I do not have ANY SYMPTONS of stage 4 CKD

Comment

Umm.....please, don't pay too much attention to the 'trolls' on this site. Pellegrino (or any other mineral water, for that matter) will do nothing for you except possibly raise your potassium levels a bit. Suspending the usage of medications that your DOCTOR ordered just because of a post from some Johnny-come-lately in a barely-monitored site like this is idiotic.

Comment

Originally posted by Lamont
            I have stage 4 CKD but I do not have any symptoms is this normal? I have been living with CKD for about 12 years now.
            I had no symptoms up to to the very end. But my symptoms were so mild. I had a little bit of nausea but I ate a few crackers and it went away.
            You can do things to help your body stay at stage 4 for a long time, or the very least to avoid stage 5/ESRD for many yrs. Start by watching sodium foods, keep on eye on B/P.
            I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Originally posted by cutedragongirl
              Try drinking PELLEGRINO mineral water (from ITALY). My eGFR was 19 and after drinking it for a month, it went up to 37 now. PLEASE TRY!!!

Also, ask your doctor to cut down any unnecessary medications. I cut down FUROSEMIDE and SPIRONOLACTONE and my kidney is better
              !
              You're better off drinking plain water. Some people's GFR or creatinine improves when they DRINK more, although not necessarily a specific drink.
              As we all know dehydration can cause a lower GFR and a higher creatinine reading.

I do agree with the Furosemide (name brand Lasix).
              Long term of a diuretic can harm the kidney.
              BUT, if your kidney can't remove the excess fluid, Lasix must be prescribed.
              As we know excess fluid, and/or fluid overload can be taxing on the heart.
              Each person must discuss this situation with their Neph and see which option (with Lasix or w/o) is better in their specific situation.
              For some patients the benefits of lasix will outweight the side effects.
              I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

I must begin by saying, thank you all for the replies. As far as salt my diet consist of only salt that included in foods that add it. I do eat a low podium diet along with many fruits and vegetables. FOR PROTIEN I eat fresh chicken and fish. For beverages I drink plenty of water, Cranberry juice and Apple juice. My doctort doctor nerver suggested. a low protein diet. I doing it for myself (pro active) for my own health. It takes a lot of discipline!!!

Comment

Lamont,

Although some Drs don't believe in a low protein diet (they say lack of scientific evidence) others do.
                  Mine did, and it kept me off dialysis for close to 15yrs.

I know what you mean about taking a lot of discipline, but it's well worth the sacrifice!!
                  But, looks like you're doing great to avoid further damage to your kidneys.

Take care

Comment

I have been stage 4 for three years now And i drink Sparkletts Water cause it's delivered.I really don't exprience many sypmtoms thank god .My function is the same from march 2012.

Diagnosed with Focal Segmental Glomerulslerosis 06/05/10.
                    Unknown Cause
                    Biopsy 07-09-10
                    Stage 4
                    Creatnine 2.33
                    kidney function 29%
                    Not on Dialysis

Comment

Originally posted by Lamont
                      ..... I do eat a low podium diet along with many fruits and vegetables. FOR PROTIEN I eat fresh chicken and fish....
                      OK, first off, I'm assuming you meant a "low PROTIEN diet" (or did you mean a "low POTASSIUM diet"??), so I'll address that: Chicken and fish are about the HIGHEST protein foods you can eat. Fish especially. A single breast of chicken has nearly 25 grams of protein, and just 3 oz. of fish has about the same amount. A 'low protein diet' usually starts at a MAXIMUM of 50g/day, and works downward. In my case, chicken or fish are items I rarely eat.

Also, please note that fish always contains a good amount of sodium.

Comment

I had symptoms for years that I didn't realize were actual symptoms until after the fact. Also, heavy doses of medicine used to try to save my kidney ended up pushing me in stage 5 within a few days.

On a side note about protein amounts, I am SO glad I am on a high protein diet. I'm not sure I could handle a low allowance.

Comment

BTW, as far as limiting your protein intake as a way of avoiding dialysis is concerned: yes, it can work, but at some point, the lack of protein in your diet will likely leave you severely fatigued. Even with a maximum of 50g/day, I find that I have the most energy on the days that I eat the most protein. I'm taking occasional amino acid supplements, which become absolutely vital if you go below about 40g/day protein intake. Still, at some point, even the most anti-dialysis people amongst us would have to agree that in the end, dialysis would be preferable to being unable to do anything.

The problem is that the entire system is based on the money made from offering hemodialysis to people on a regular basis. Having patients that avoid dialysis costs money to the nephrologists, the clinics, and the suppliers. There is no profit in avoidance, hence, doctors and providers never tell you about this option, and often try to discourage you when you do it yourself.

My mother learned too late about her kidney problems, and went on dialysis without really preparing. However, having been educated in food sciences in college, she knew enough about diets to know that if she kept her protein intake to reasonable levels even while on dialysis (which is contrary to what they usually tell you), she was able to cut down to only 2 sessions a week. So, even when dialysis is inevitable, you STILL have a certain amount of control over the amount of dialysis needed.

Comment

@dac0214 In am learning something everyday, This is what I am thinking and please enlighten me. Eating fresh fish, tuna, fresh vetagables and fresh fruit. thinking it will take the load of my kidneys from working harder and make less creatitine thus spilling less protein in my urine. I do not have high BP in fact I am not on any meds. For beverages I drink plenty of water, cranberry juice as well as apple juice. I am a beginner!!! My doctor nerver recommended this diet, I am doing this for myself. Before I started this diet, I ate and drank any and everything I wanted. Remember I"ve been in stage 4 for 12 years now.

Comment

@slicato, as far as my protein diet goes, I eat 5-6 times a day, the catch is I eat small meals. example.. breakfast consist of oatmeal with blueberries, few hours eat a fruit, a few hous laterfor lunch have a side salad with baked chicken and vinegarette dressing. After that have a tuna salad. For dinner baked fish, white rice and veggies. small meals through out the day makes the kidney works less. If i want a snack, it usually gronala bars or rice krispy bars.

Comment

Working...
                              X