I'm new and scared!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new and scared!

I found out today that I am stage 3 chronic kidney disease. I'm 34 years old. I'm freaking out!

Sweetie, I am 82 and have been in Stage 3 for at least 10 years, There is no need to be scared although I was when I found out about it. The most important thing is to watch your diet and drink the water(Fluids)Like you are supposed too! That is part of my problem! I don't like plain water and I don't get thirsty. I have an app on my smart phone that reminds me to drink water. Just find a good kidney doctor and find follow their instructions. And don't let your fear get the best of you. That can be the worst part. I'll keep you in my thought and prayers.

Betty Magee

Comment

I am a diabetic with stage 3 kidney disease. Just went to the grocery store and came home with almost nothing cuz I am so scared. I really want to commit to a healthy diet but it seems so confusing. I am not young but I am not old either and I want to be able to see my grandkids grow up.

Comment

I am a diabetic with stage 3 kidney disease. Just went to the grocery store and came home with almost nothing cuz I am so scared. I really want to commit to a healthy diet but it seems so confusing. I am not young but I am not old either so I really need to nail this thing..

Comment

Bjemagee, is there anyway to power the stage we are in or will be have this disease for the rest of my life?

Comment

Katiebw, I did the same thing! It is noon and I haven't had anything to eat cause I don't know what I can have.

Comment

I understand Katie I have been there. Know I care. Look at the top of the page and hit "Forums" and then go down and hit "Diet and Nutrition" then "Kidney Diet"
              ​Look for "The kidney Cook Book" Do check your blood work..if it shows your high in Potassium then go on line and look for foods high and low in that and shop for the ones that are low.( I have been in stage 3 for 3 years and I was put on a low salt diet look for those also). Also look at food to lower Creatin and Ablumin levels, et., if that is needed talk to your Kidney doctor. On line I got a list of "Healthy foods for the Kidney Diet," You can also get that info here and there is also a Cook Book...a list of foods and recipes on this forum also..really great ones! You will be fine but understand it is also OK to be scared I was too but once you have the info it will help you so much. There are so many more foods out now that contain less salt, et.. My brother was ahead of me so he taught me a lot. Avoid Cokes, et..you can have Sprite and I believe Dr. Pepper. Try to avoid eating Beans just limit them in your diet. Ask to be my friend if you want and have some things you would like to talk about. Bless!

Comment

I suggest going to "Kidney Education" at the top of the page. I also shared some info for "Katie." Once you inform your self on all that you can about Kidney
                ​Disease your tomorrows will be much better. Also look for classes to join in your area..being with people going through the same thing brings peace of mind and strength. I have been where you are for some time..take care and Bless!

https://www.davita.com/kidney-diseas...ducation-cente
                Last edited by alice54; 08-09-2017, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Its an adjustment........take a deep breathe, calm your nerves. You can do this!!!! We were all there, the initial shock scared all of us. take time to digest all the information. Ask your Dr. to recommend a Nutritionist to assist you with your diet. Get active, take walks, join a gym, helps you get your mind right. And we are all here to assist with advice if needed.

Comment

It is a big adjustment and somewhat of a lifestyle changer but it can be done and your levels can stabilize. I am 76, stage 3 and been on diet and exercise routine prescribed by my Primary Doctor for over a year. . Davita has many resources to help you from menus, to classes, to diet tracking etc.

Comment

Welcome new members. I understand being nervous with a new diagnosis, but understand that CKD is a very manageable condition. CKD does require a lifestyle change, primarily dietary changes. Making healthy food choices can prevent the CKD from getting worse in most cases. I would recommend hiring a dietitian who specializes in renal disease. You can find a dietitian on eatright.org OR Davitaeatsmart.com. Davita.com also has many wonderful free resources such as "diet helper", "food analyzer" and they have excellent recipes. Best of luck. I wish you all good health! Sincerely, a Registered Dietitian from Virginia.

Comment

I understand the feeling that food has become my enemy. Certainly the recommendations of friends, coupled with a newcomer's brief knowledge of the diet, can make the entire enterprise seem impossible. The motivation, though, is very strong, and the need to be faithful to the diet can seem obsessive. We signed up for a Kidney Smart class, which we took last Friday, and it was immensely helpful in guiding us through the complexities of the diet toward an understanding of what is appropriate for me at this point in Stage 3. I use the Diet Helper to analyze every meal. For me this has led to a new interest in food and in the parts of the new diet that I can enjoy. I am happy to share this with Julie, who loves to cook in any case, and is now engaged in cooking in a way that promotes my health.

Comment

My name is danny am stage3b looking for support

Comment

Hello Heavy and others. I want to welcome you here. First.....take a deep breath, and exhale as someone said......even if you are stage 3 or 4
                            ​we're not going to put you on dialysis tomarrow..
                            ​First, if you are a stage 3 or higher, according to some guidelines, you need to see a nephrologist (kidney doctor)...while in some cases you
                            ​might not be able to go back to a level 2 or better, the nephrologist will focus on trying to stop things getting worse. These folks have more
                            ​advanced training than your average doctors on this issue.
                            There are many different causes of decreased kidney function, which you need to learn about, which will help you to understand and
                            ​help yourself with, but the bottom line tho is that you are not cleaning your blood or reducing the amount of fluid as you should.
                            Depending on what stage you are in, you may nor may not be placed on a diet restriction....depends if you have a lot of
                            ​protein in your urine, high potassium or phos levels.....your nephrologist will guide you, or I should say the dietician they
                            refer you to will......as far as eating, if you fall off the wagon on a meal, it's not going to kill you (usually)....
                            ​at this stage its basically educate yourself, and help yourself.....diet will be your best friend, along with excerise, and control
                            ​other things, such as diabetes, and similar things. Also if you are a bit bigger than what you should be, it would help you
                            and take pressue off your kidneys.
                            ​as for support...we're all here.....yes, CKD is a $%^@.....might as well be honest about it...and some days your going to
                            just feel like saying $%^@ with it......that's normal..and it's ok....and it's normal......you just have to just pull yourself
                            ​together and go forward....yes, you fouled up, but you can start again.

​you can also ask for help.......depending on your stage, there is the RSN (renal support network), and the like....

​we need a "working group" support network....maybe it could be here........so, to barrow a line from motel 6,
                            we'll leave the porch light on here for ya..........so questions (no matter how silly you think) at any time (we're open 24
                            ​hours a day).....and there are a few experts lurking in the background, that if everyone on here is stumped, they will
                            ​hop in and help make things clear.......

​so welcome......

Comment

Busy: Very well stated. CKD can be very disconcerting when one is diagnosed but is much that can be done to help the condition. I was diagnosed at stage 3b and put on a "pre dialysis diet" and prescribed exercise. So far things have stabilized. It can be somewhat of a lifestyle changer. Some days one feels good and other days not so. It is great we have Davita to give us information, diet and menus, tracking etc. The Kidney Class 101 was a great help. My wife attended also and helped her understand the condition.

Comment

Working...
                              X