Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KelseyAtDaVita
    replied
    Hi Jagb1992, it's best if you consult with your local care team. A local nephrologist will be able to answer these questions and any additional specific questions you may have that apply to your personal situation. Have a great day!

Leave a comment:

• Jagb1992
    started a topic More regarding GFR

More regarding GFR

The GFR thing has me ask quite a bit of things because of me confused on it. Okay, so let's bear with me on GFR. Here we go. So, at any age, a GFR below 60 for three months or more is chronic kidney disease. And yes, I know and understand that kidney function goes down with age even if a person never gets kidney disease. So, a GFR of 59 or lower for under three months must not be CKD unless it's high protein in the urine or other indicators of kidney disease. Just correct me if I'm wrong. However, how can a GFR of 60 or higher be considered normal? If it's 60 to 89 with high protein in the urine it's also CKD, and it's stage 2 CKD. And, for stage 1 CKD it is therefore a GFR of 90 or higher with proteinuria. And if kidney function is at 90 percent or higher but below 100 percent, is it stage 1 CKD if it indicates kidney disease, as in high protein in the urine or other indicators of kidney disease? A 100 percent kidney function then isn't CKD, am I right? GFR can go as high as 140, though. And, can there also be a too high GFR? And if there is, what's wrong with it? A GFR of under 100 is normal for anyone 40 or older. So, if a young person is at a GFR of 83, does he or she still get no CKD if they present no indications of kidney disease? If a GFR is under 15 it's stage 5 CKD which is the same as kidney failure, if GFR is 15 to 29 it's stage 4 CKD, and if GFR is 30 to 59 it's stage 3 CKD. So, if in one case, a person has a GFR of 57 but some one or two months later the GFR increases to 61 and they have no indicators of kidney disease, they then don't have CKD? Don't all five stages of CKD indicate some lifestyle changes like in a special diet and if needing to exercise regularly? With a lower GFR it's the greater the need to consult a nephrologist. I then see how a GFR of under 60 is chronic kidney disease no matter the levels of proteinuria, but if GFR is 60 or above without indicators of kidney disease, it's not CKD? Here is information about GFR, what indicates kidney disease, and the necessity to consult and/or be referred to a nephrologist: https://www.kidney.org/professionals...e/case-studies.
Working...
X