Stage 3 and how it's changing my life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stage 3 and how it's changing my life

I'm diagnosed on stage 3 since April 18 this year. I am 23 years old in Fresno, California, turning 24 late in August. I have been known to have stage 3 since April 18 due to results of a kidney biopsy done by me on March 23. It has seriously changed my life like never before. I can try to make the longer version of the story shorter here, the longer version I can later post in on a blog. Here we go.

I used to be able to eat and drink anything without a problem. I would have a variety to eat, and more drinks. I also have a good list of foods that I don't have a like of, but especially since 2006 I've been so good at eating. Before April 24, 2008 (I have a very good memory), I would not eat beans. Now, with the renal diet I do not have as much to eat or drink, the diet is a little tough though I have enjoyed having the foods and drinks I now have, whether I had them before this April 18 too or are new to me.

I used to not have to take any daily medicines. I now have to take blood pressure pills against hypertension to maintain my blood pressure from 90/60 to 130/80. High blood pressure was first detected in February or March. I take kidney medicines daily. I've been taking remedies from a doctor who is in medicine that doesn't give you side effects.

I used to not know what it's like to suffer so much. And as bad as this may be, there are people suffering even worse. I'm known with Aspergers' since birth, it limits your social skills and you may not have many if any friends at all, intellectual skills are above average, but do have good cognitive skills. That condition has had me take longer than usual to achieve some things in independence like walking at a later age when learning to walk and getting a job. It can be hard to accept, but there aren't as many hardships like in certain other disabilities or illnesses. But chronic kidney disease really tends to be tough to accept. I first when found out I felt like it was the end of the world. Now what will I do, I wondered. Immediately April 18 of this year became my worst day ever. With this condition I failed my two classes in college this past semester. It has also made me change at least some plans. I was known to have 35 to 40 GFR on April 18, at first it was hard to accept giving up a lot of foods and drinks. I am able to do things normally but now am applying to get supplemental government income to get by in life. I no longer wanted to go to college or do things I normally do, in the first few days after diagnosis. I could not sleep since the previous night since April 17 around 10 p.m. thinking the kidney biopsy results would go bad. I became scared, sad, miserable like never before. I now have to endure with this, have had restless nights with sleep disruption, it can be a bit of a struggle on what to now eat when going to parties, and have definitely yet to gain lots more knowledge and experience with Ckd. I am sad to not be in work or school this summer as a result of this abrupt news. I was wanting to work this summer. If I see any food somewhere that I used to eat but is bad for me to have, I can get sad with a rather hard time finding what to eat. I miss the previous days before this CKD without as much suffering and with happier in health and other things.

As a result mostly of this chronic kidney disease, 2016 has been my worst and saddest year. Never had I been so sad, miserable, worried.

I have lost weight. In the last two months alone especially I've gotten thinner. It's due to the healthier renal diet. I weighed 182 pounds on April 18, had that since last October, now am at 159 pounds, which is a good weight for my height of 5'8". I wasn't told by doctors that I would be at risk for diabetes, the nephrologists have told me I am thankfully not diabetic.

I used to drink the whole drink during a meal of breakfast, lunch or dinner. Now I mostly just save the drink for when I am done eating the meal.

At this young age I do take good care of myself, am familiar with the renal diet, don't skip the diet unless for occasional times, don't eat or drink the worst stuff for CKD people, still do what I love. And my GFR results from June 13 shows it's now at 43. I haven't been on a list of dialysis or transplant yet.

I am trying to maintain myself healthy without getting underweight. I am not one who does not eat to try to maintain themselves thinner.

I do still maintain a smile, it can be hard especially when fairly new to a hardship. It's not a choice, unlike certain lifestyles.

Living with CKD has changed my life like never before. I am posting more on here, other forums, and on a blog later.

Hi Jagb1992, thank you so much for sharing your story! Adjusting to a new diagnosis and diet can be extremely overwhelming and challenging but myDaVita is here for you! There are many here who are going through the same thing, whom you can speak with to find inspiration, advice and more. Have you also considered attending a no-cost Kidney Smart class? It's a great opportunity to learn more about kidney disease, treatment options, the kidney diet and more. You can find one in your neighborhood here: http://bit.ly/1R9toum. Please let me know if you have any questions with myDaVita. I wish you the best and remember you're not alone!

Comment

Hi, Jagb 1992! Reading your post made me very sad. You are far too young to waste your life away worrying because of the CKD diagnosis. I am 77, and I know for a fact that, if you follow your doctor's advice, follow the renal diet, get some exercise, and keep a positive attitude, you can still live many good years! I was at GFR 33-40 for almost 10 years! I just recently dropped to GFR 29... but I plan to live many more years before I have to have dialysis. Even with CKD, in addition to several other health problems (including a frequently debilitating stomach problem), I manage to have good times. And on the good days, I get out and shop, go out to eat alone or with others, go to church, etc. Live each good day to the fullest! Find yourself hobbies or other activities (I love reading, old movies, and word puzzles) to keep you mentally active also. And talk to your doctor about going back to work, at least part time, while you can. Meanwhile, if you continue to be as down as you sound, it might do you good to talk to a psychologist. Ask your doctor about that, too. Depression is not that unusual with CKD, especially when you have first learned your diagnosis. Wishing you the very best, and many more great days to come! -- Mary (Poozy1238)

Comment

Working...
      X