Need opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need opinions

Hello I'm new to the forum I'm glad I found you I have a few questions and concerns. Just give a little history because it may be pertinent I have had a lot going the past few years. I'm 46 it started when I was 37 I had surgery for a meniscus tear and got MRSA in the joint which made it's way to the femur on the other side weakened it and fractured the head then I had MRSA in there today I have a total knee and hip replacement, but went through many months of very strong IV antibiotics (vanco and gentamyacin). Maybe 2 years ago my eGFR started decreasing it's been as low as 45 but typically it's about 54 now it's 50 these others have always stayed pretty consistant but this last test they have started to rise and now are on the high end. Creatinin-1.16 BUN-22 sodium-139 potassium-4.8 chloride-106
    My question is should I be seeing a nephrologist? My PCP said all my kidney test are perfect(his words) I totally disagree but I'm not a doctor. Any opinions would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks

I don't believe your creatinine is "perfect", but it is good. I understand your concern. People can have slightly abnormal blood results and not have CKD. Your Dr. is hopefully looking at several tests over a period of time to see if there is a pattern that might suggest kidney decline. I would talk to him and tell him your worried. Find out why he's not concerned. I know it's hard to question a Dr. in that way but it's your right to. Most folks see a Neph. when numbers consistently decline. Slight fluctuations are normal.
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

Tonia what about the eGFR of 50 isn't it suppose to be above 60?

Comment

Yes your GFR should be above 60. I was thinking about you this morning and thought because you have had abnormal results for some time, you might get a 2nd opinion or change Drs. altogether. I know that athletes and people with a high muscle mass will have a higher creatinine. It's also common for a person to have a higher creatinine if they are over weight. Do you have high blood pressure or are you diabetic?

I would want to know why your Dr. feels your results are normal for you. They may be, but like you, I would question his medical opinion. You could request a referral. The Neph would run many blood tests and probably ultrasound your kidneys if he thought you had some kidney decline. I've got to tell you though, some Drs. won't give referrals until a person approaches stage 4 numbers or have a significant change in blood work.

Good luck!
        May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
        Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

I am over weight I weigh 210 and just recently my bp has increased never had much of a prob. Before but at an appointment a short time ago it was 140/110 now it runs about 130/90 fairly consistently which is high for me. My mom is a diabetic so far I am not. Thanks for your time Annette

Comment

Working...
          X