Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just diagnosed w/ low functioning kidney/creatine 2.5/ is this an emergency??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just diagnosed w/ low functioning kidney/creatine 2.5/ is this an emergency??

Hello, my husbands routine bloodwork showed elevated creatine from 1.6 eight mos ago to 2.56!!! He is a cyclist and road 30 miles today, and feels fine but I am alarmed because his gfr is 25! We can't get in to see the neph until feb. 5. Plus last night he woke up 6 times to go to the bathroom. Please advise if he should go to the ER? I realize his may be acute not chronic since it happened so fast from what I am reading. Thank you in advance..

Well, sounds like he may be entering stage 4. You mentioned that he's a cyclist, which makes me wonder: is he taking any sort of dietary supplement, like creatine or, god forbid, protein bars/shakes? Pre-dialysis patient should take neither. The first will, at the very least, screw-up your blood numbers, and the second, well, protein is the LAST thing you will need to supplement when your kidneys are failing.

Comment

Thanks for your response. No he is is not taking anything like that, but he does have a pretty high processed food diet that we are working on correcting. I told him it is best not to eat bananas, most dairy etc. but that is all we know to do until we meet with the neph. His creatine rose so very fast that I was just concerned he could go into kidney failure. His bp is 150/80. 6 ft tall 190 lbs. so he is only a tad overweight. He only rides maybe 30 miles a week weather permitting.

Comment

he might be okay for now. i have a creatinine of 6.86 and gfr of 10; and yet i dont exercise. just had my catheter placed but hasnt started dialysis yet. he might be okay till the end of the year or even more and of course it all depends. like him, that's about how many times i go to the bathroom as well..

Comment

Thanks mrh. Hope your placement went ok, good luck to you. Do you mind me asking how long you have known about your disease?

Comment

Hi Ritaisom. Welcome to the group. This is a great place to come for information and to just vent as needed. By the sounds of things, waiting to see the neph on the 5th should be ok. With a GFR of 25 your husband still has some kidney function.

With that being said, the function is pretty low. Between now and the appointment your husband (and/or you) should research the available dialysis options and start to consider which type of dialysis he may want to choose long term. The last thing you want to happen is have to start dialysis in an emergency situation and be forced into a type of dialysis he doesn't want.

Good luck to you and your husband. I hope all goes well.

For a little background I was diagnosed with MPGN Type II in 2002, had a transplant in 2006, started dialysis gain in 2012 and am hoping for another transplant.

Comment

Thank you, CaBauer for responding. I guess it will be me since my husband is totally in denial and I guess I don't feel like it is my place to give him that news until the kidney Dr confirms it. Is there anything else that could cause his levels? I don't know what the actual result of the 24 hr urine test was, only that the nurse called my husband and told him he has "low kidney function" and she was setting up a neph appointment for him. This is after his bloodwork showed a 2.56 creatine level.

I've seen info about different types of dialysis, but it is very confusing. Good luck to you as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritaisom View Post
                Thanks mrh. Hope your placement went ok, good luck to you. Do you mind me asking how long you have known about your disease?
                thanks...i was diagnosed with stage 3 in 2006 due to hypertension...and never really followed the diet and exercise recommendation by the Dr...placed in the wait list for transplant July of last year...changed the dressing this afternoon and nurse said everything looks good, no sign of infection or anything; so i guess just waiting for it to heal so dialysis can be started...

Comment

Originally posted by mrh1726 View Post
                  thanks...i was diagnosed with stage 3 in 2006 due to hypertension...and never really followed the diet and exercise recommendation by the Dr...placed in the wait list for transplant July of last year...changed the dressing this afternoon and nurse said everything looks good, no sign of infection or anything; so i guess just waiting for it to heal so dialysis can be started...
                  Glad its going well in that direction. What kind of dialysis?

Comment

On New Years Eve. I entered the ER with a mix of troubling symptoms. My Creatinine level was found to be 2.37. Further testing & labs demonstrated Acute Kidney Failure. I was admitted into the hosptal, treated & under observation until my release on 01-02-13. My Creatinine was 1.43 at release, and grew to 1.57 three days later.

The following week my Doctor told me I had stage 2 - 3 CKD.

Comment

Change your diet, read DaVita re. diet. I changed mine with a creatine of 1.9 and brought it down to 1.0
                      See the Dr. talk to a nutritionalist. He can make his health better.

Comment

Working...
                      X