Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kidney functioning (eGFR)

Hello
    I'm new to the site, and happy to be here and feel reassured since reading some of the posts.

I am 44 year old female from South Wales in the UK.

I am a sufferer of high Blood pressure and Cholesterol, been on the one bp meds called Adizem 180mg since about 2002, and another one called Perindropril 2mg, and since November due to a fastings test via cholesterol been prescribed Simvastins 40mg.
    Unfortunately high bp and cholesterol there is a family history from my father side (dad no longer with us).

I mainly have a good diet and weigh about 9 and a half stone, height just over 5ft 4.

Sorry for going on about myself, just wanted to give the background of my health issues before I ask questions in regards of kidney functioning.

Back about 2 years ago, my kidney gfr came in at <60, then back in May 2012 was the first I was told about it because was then informed by my GP after a standard routine test (non-fastings) it was decreasing to the level of 52.
    I then had to have a blood fastings test 6 months on in November 2012 (not to eat or drink anything) other than sips of water from 9pm the night before).
    The results came in for cholesterol @ 6.3 and kidney functioning, and level at <50 gfr.

I was just told to continue with the meds for the high bp and cholesterol, then to come back in Feb 2013 for a further fasting test.
    Hopefully it has not decreased. I know there is not much difference between the last 2, but is there anyway at all gfr levels can be raised again?

Also to add that my urine test came back normal, I was not actually told the numbers for this though, so at least that is something.

Would be happy for any tips on the best foods to eat and to avoid, via kidneys please if this is possible.

Many thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing from you. x

GFR rate is dependent on your hydration status - specifically creatinine, so the variation could be related to being in a fasting state for the lab tests.

Asking what you can do to help your kidneys at this stage - the best that you can do is manage your high blood pressure and cholesterol. You should watch the amount of salt in your diet and reduce it as close as possible to 1500 mg per day. Early on you can slow the progression of the disease by treating the related conditions - specifically high blood pressure and diabetes.

Comment

Working...
    X