Diagnosed in 3rd stage last year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diagnosed in 3rd stage last year

I recently visited my GP to get results of GFR. She told me it's 55 according to the African American scale......I'm not African American...I'm white. Previously she was using the scale for Caucasians but now says all results are now going according to the African American scale. I don't know what to think about this because all of my results have been in the low 40's. I don't have health insurance and I'm thinking that might be why I haven't been referred to a nephrologist and dietician. There hasn't been any discussion of taking any medications to prevent or slow progression. Also, my urine has not been tested....just my blood. It has been suggested that one of the reasons for my kidney disease could be lupus as I have so many of the symptoms (all have been individual diagnosis's) no tying them all together to one disease. The other reason is all the medications I take to control all of those individual diagnosis. I need them for quality f life. I'm wondering if I should see a different doctor.

Time for a second opinion. You should probably be using the caucasian scale and you should have your urine tested - this could indicate the level of protein in the urine. You did not mention blood pressure but this should be controlled as much as possible in order to slow progression. I am not a doctor but my thoughts are it would be worthwhile for you to speak with someone else.
    Goldminer
    CKD-Stage 2
    non-diabetic, controlled HBP
    GFR-65, Diagnosed August, 2010

Comment

I'm *mostly* Caucasian, but my GFR turns out to not fit the Caucasian scale very well, either. Perhaps my Native American ancestry has something to do with it? Regardless, my GFR numbers don't really give an accurate picture, so my nephrologist pays more attention to other values.

Comment

Working...
      X