What should I expect for next step?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I expect for next step?

I was diagonised With stage 3 CKD in Feb. GFR 52. Had Ultrasound, cysts on both kidneys and 3cm tumor on right kidney. CT scan was inconclusived for cancer. Nephrologist has referred me to Urologist. Have had high blood pressure for 20+ years, Paternal grandmother died of Brights disease and sister had kidney cancer. Removed kidney and is cancer free. Had blood tests after the CTscan and GFR was 47. Very nervous about the upcoming urologist appointment.

Re: What should I expect for next step?

Just had appointment with urogolist. diagnoise was RCC. Surgery scheduled for Juy 3. Will try to save as much of the kidney as possible. If kidney is completely removed risk of having to go on dialysis since I am in stage 3 CKD. With only removing the tumor risk is not all of the cancer cells will be removed and could get into the blood stream. If tumor has gotten into the collection system kidney wll have to be compeletly removed. Has anyone experiencer this situation and what was the outcome?

Comment

Sounds like your going thru allot ! I will keep you in my prayers and good luck

shysha

Comment

My husband has gone through the very experience that you are now facing. After having painless hematuria, I took him to the ER where extensive testing and CAT scan revealed a 3 cm. mass on the left kidney. After biopsy and several more CAT scans, it was diagnosed as RCC. After researching the options and the physicians, we opted for an open incision approach. The surgery removed the entire tumor and kidney. The GFR had him at stage 3 prior to the surgery and has remained at stage 3 although it fluctuates within that stage. Follow up CAT scans every few months initially were negative for metastases and have remained negative as of now. He is being seen by both a urologist and a nephrologist. The nephrologist recommended that we decrease our salt and limit the protein but nothing specific as to how many gms. of protein. We have limited our protein and decreased our salt consumption but did not eliminate it completely as it's necessary even if in minute amounts. I know it's a very difficult position to be in, but know that there are positive outcomes. Wish you the very best.

Mary

Comment

Had pre-op tests done yesterday. Tomorrow will donate a unit of blood in case needed for surgery. Will do second unit on the 21st. Have been rejected from donating blood serveral times in the past due to low iron. Hope the iron supplements work. I just feel better using my own blood if needed. I have also opted for open surgery.
          My nephrologist said to watch my intake of protein, potassium, phosphorus, and sodium. I don't eat anything that has over 20% sodium per serving.

Comment

Hello Joal,

Welcome to the forum. I am a stage 4 CKD patient since October 2008. My doctor told me not to exceed 2000mg/day on the sodium intake. You may check with a renal dietitian on how many of grams protein you can have daily.

pal

Comment

My brother was told that he had cancer in one of his kidneys and it would have to be removed. He asked how they knew it was cancer and they told him it was 95% sure and he should have it removed immediately. He said that if it was not growing, he would wait. It was growing ever so slow. After two years, it was getting bigger so he went for a second pinion to lahey clinic in boston where they have better equipment. X-rays showed that the tumor was on the outside of the kidney and had not mestasized.. They removed the tumor only. No chemotherapy, no radiation, and he still has both kidneys and made a full recovery. But many persons were praying for him.

Comment

Had surgery July 3. The surgeon was able to save half of the kidney. Was at doctors Sept. 10 and kidney function is now 37.

Comment

Joal I had unrevealed stage 2 CKD , and had a cancerous kidney taken out in Sept 2010. Never told me a thing about CKD at all.

and Docs never said a thing about GFR..now I dropped to 37 in 24 months from 71, still no word to me, found out on my own!

my advice is to know what your GFR is from now on, get blood test results, do not let this slide..and be very very careful if they want to give ct scans with dye.. it can knock you down lower and maybe no way to fix it with potential full renal failure! stay vigilant.

Comment

Working...
                  X