Why...?

May 1976 First smiled at the midwife
    June 1980 Learned how to ride a bicycle
    1981 Learned Excel and Word
    1989 - Diagnosed with diabetes type 1
    1993 - Diagnosed with OCD
    4th Nov 2008 - Quadruple CABG
    July 2011 - Started full-time kidney dialysis
    Also diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy | retinopathy | hypercholesterolemia | hypertension
    All I want for Christmas are new kidneys and a brand new pancreas and a red hot Ferrari!

Re: I Posted A Few Times

Ok, here's what I have been trying to post for the past week -

I was admitted to the hospital two weeks ago with a serum creatinine of 823 and an elevated potassium level of 5.8, and high blood pressure hovering around 180/90.

Doctors suggest that I start kidney dialysis soon, and I am thinking of opting for peritoneal dialysis.

Should I be starting this soon?

I have been a type I diabetic for 22 years (now 35 years of age) and have been having diabetic nephropathy symptoms for a few years now.

I am not sure whether I really need to start dialysis now because of these reasons -

- I don't have blood in my urine
    - I am still passing urine with the help of diuretics
    - I am not holding water all that much, my ankles are not swollen at all
    - I am not really collecting water in my lungs

So, should I listen to the doctors and start kidney dialysis soon?

I am 35 years of age, about 85 kilograms and stand at about 1.7m.

I've had a quadruple heart bypass on November 2008.

What other symptoms should I be looking out for, to know that yes, definitely I need to start kidney dialysis now?

Persistent itchiness? Inability to pass out urine even with diuretics? Swollen ankles? Breathlessness?

I really hope to hold off kidney dialysis cos it'll be a major change in life, having to be connected to a machine every night for the rest of my life for 8 hours.

What kind of diet should I be adopting to delay the progression of the disease?

Thanks.
    Also diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy | retinopathy | hypercholesterolemia | hypertension
    All I want for Christmas are new kidneys and a brand new pancreas and a red hot Ferrari!

Comment

Sigh.. i can't seem to copy and paste from my Yahoo! answers question..

http://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question...2012928AAqGTs5

Comment

Hey Blackmamba - heres my 2 cents.

It's about your blood work and the levels of toxins in your blood, thats what the Dr. should be watching, not so much the other things you mentioned. I urinated for over a yr after starting PD, never had visible blood in my urine, had edema only if I ate something high in salt. I asked the Dr's what I should look for when I would need dialysis and if I would have waited for all those signs I would have bought the farm. If they say it's time, it's time. It takes time to get set up for PD, for the cath. to heal and they have prob. noticed increasing changes in your blood work. I was on PD for 3 yrs. It works great for some ppl but I eventually went on hemo.

Hang in there

Billy

Comment

Originally posted by Billy View Post
          Hey Blackmamba - heres my 2 cents.

It's about your blood work and the levels of toxins in your blood, thats what the Dr. should be watching, not so much the other things you mentioned. I urinated for over a yr after starting PD, never had visible blood in my urine, had edema only if I ate something high in salt. I asked the Dr's what I should look for when I would need dialysis and if I would have waited for all those signs I would have bought the farm. If they say it's time, it's time. It takes time to get set up for PD, for the cath. to heal and they have prob. noticed increasing changes in your blood work. I was on PD for 3 yrs. It works great for some ppl but I eventually went on hemo.

Hang in there

Billy
          Hey, Billy.

Thanks for reply.

I have since had a temporary line inserted and am going through hemodialysis as I type this, my third session now.

Today I had a catheter inserted into my tummy, and I should be starting PD in two weeks' time at home.

Seems that my kidneys just deteriorated quickly over the course of one month, my k went up high, my creatinine was over a thousand, and I had episodes of acute confusion, and boy were they scary!

Being unable to control your own mind was very frightening.

So, here I am - officially a patient undergoing regularly dialysis, and I hope I'll feel better.

Comment

And Billy, sorry but I meant to ask - why did you switch to hemodialysis from peritoneal?

I chose PD so I can still work in the day and pay for my medical bills, and hemodialysis has been proven to be taxing on the heart, and I've had a quadruple CABG before and lately had some unstable angina.

Comment

I guess nobody's here to support.

Comment

Originally posted by blackmamba762 View Post
                I guess nobody's here to support.

Blackmamba,

I'm afraid we can't help you regarding lost posts, Only administrators can address that.

We are here to support each other with renal questions, concerns or just to lend a shoulder to lean on. WE ARE HERE!!!!

Take care!!
                I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
                  Blackmamba,

I'm afraid we can't help you regarding lost posts, Only administrators can address that.

We are here to support each other with renal questions, concerns or just to lend a shoulder to lean on. WE ARE HERE!!!!

Take care!!
                  Thanks, Marina..

I have since started on temporarily on hemodialysis at the centre, through a temporary line in my chest, and I will undergo training for peritoneal dialysis on the 18th of July.

I chose nightly peritoneal dialysis because I've had a quadruple heart bypass before, and I've learnt that hemodialysis is indeed taxing on the heart. I feel more comfortable getting dialyzed every night when I sleep anyway, so that I can continue working in the day and sustain myself.

I personally feel that it's best that I get dialyzed every day because of my various medical conditions. I cannot afford to get any more sick than i already am.

- I have been a diabetic (type I) since I was a 13 year old (now 35), latest HBA1C is 5.5

- I've had to go for laser treatments for retinopathy many times

- I've been having symptoms that come and go, relating to peripheral neuropathy

- I've had a quadruple heart bypass done in 2008 (80% blockage)

- I have high cholesterol (now on Cholestyramine)

- I have hig blood pressure (now managed but goes to 160 | 80 when during hemodialysis sessions)

- I have anemia (last count was 7.5) due to my weak kidneys (on iron tablets and Eprex injections)

- Been in and out of hospital 4 times the last two months due to unstable angina and my kidneys

I am glad I am still ambulatory (I am still relatively young ) but I want to stay this way.

Making the decision to be on kidney dialysis was a really, really hard decision (doctors have been urging me to go on for a few years now, until my kidneys suddenly took a turn for the worse, very fast) because it is costly and cumbersome (to me).

But I made the decision after suffering the onslaught of symptoms that included acute confusion, and I decided it was more scary than anything (to not be able to control your mind).

I'm getting used to hemodialysis (7 sessions already) and now am not getting any side effects (first few times I had giddiness) but I feel my kidneys detriorating - I get swelling on my legs (my water/salt) intake control can be better), and I get itches everywhere sometimes (don't really know which foods to avoid in terms of phosphorus) but otherwise, I am fine. My energy levels are slowly returning to 'normal'.

Thanks again!!

Blackmamba

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
                    Blackmamba,

Take care!!
                    Thanks, Marina.

I tried to reply this post of yours a few days back, but it said that the post will be reviewed by the moderators, and till now it hasn't appeared.

Comment

And anyway, how has life been like with a kidney and pancreas transplant?

Back to normal?

How long was the whole process, of identifying the donors, sending them for tests, ensuring you are fit for the transplant, and up to the actual operation itself?

Comment

Originally posted by blackmamba762 View Post
                        And anyway, how has life been like with a kidney and pancreas transplant?

Back to normal?

How long was the whole process, of identifying the donors, sending them for tests, ensuring you are fit for the transplant, and up to the actual operation itself?

Hi Blackmamba,
                        to be honest life after transplant is not quite where it should just yet. My hemoglobin is still low. I tire easily. My insurance won't pay for EPO unless I drop below 10, which come to think of it, last week's results showed I dropped to 9.9, so we'll see what's next on the agenda.
                        But overall, everything is well now. I had a couple set backs, but luckily those were resolved.

I feel so very blessed to have this wonderful kidney and pancreas. My creatinine is absolutely great it has remained steady at 0.8 (on occasions it can fluctuated between 0.7-.0.9) but for the most part 0.8 is my lucky number.
                        I hadn't thought about it until now, but I do think 8 is my lucky number.
                        My TX eval was on 8/8/08, my call came on Nov 8th at 10:38pm.
                        Anyways back to topic
                        I no longer take insulin shots, that is another blessing!! I lived on insulin shots for 31yrs, it's kinda weird now to not have to take them, but good kind of weird.

I had a deceased donor.

My actual testing went rather quickly once I decided (May '08) I wanted to be on the list. I told my Dr and she ordered all the usual tests and requested a referral from insurance. Referral came rather quickly. I called to make an appt for eval in June. They do evals once/month. The next eval was in July, but they were booked. I was able to get an Aug appt. By then all my testing was done.
                        Dr recommended an stress test w/echocardiogram, and an angiogram. Yep, those were the last two tests left.

By Aug 22, 2008 I was officially on the list.

I was on the list for 2yrs 2mos.

The surgery took close to 7hrs due to the fact that I received a kidney and a pancreas.

take care!

Marina
                        I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Marina, that's a really inspiring life story you've got there!

I wish I can be in your shoes someday, with 'new' kidneys and pancreas.

That would be absolutely fantastic!

I have been a diabetic (type 1) since I was 13 years old, and have had a quadruple heart bypass in 2008, and just a few weeks ago, I was started on regular hemodialysis. I will be undergoing training for home peritoneal dialysis next week, and I hope I will feel much better with regular, nightly dialysis.

To think that all these culminated from decades of having diabetes, with a few good years of uncontrolled blood sugar, and I am truly regretting being in denial, and being totally off any medicine and insulin.

Though I felt almost 'normal' living without any drugs interfering with my body, soon I realized that I was destroying myself bit by bit.

And now, at 35 years old, I am more sick that most elderly people I constantly find myself in hospital wards with but I am glad that I am still ambulant and very much independent.

In fact, at first glance (if you meet me in person) there is no way you will see that I am as sick as this.

But I attribute it to maintaining a healthy perspective and mind, and I can attest that a healthy delusion helps a bit too. I constantly tell myself that there is nothing wrong with me, and with that, I feel that I don't think too much of the various conditions that I am afflicted with.

I really hope my life would change soon, for though I am generally ok with the inconvenience and cost associated with being this sick - I do think of the fact that I am still relatively young, and more years of diabetes and kidney failure, will be quite detrimental to my body.

I worry that if I have the luck to live long, I would not be as mobile as I am now.

Comment

In reply to the posting problem for blackmamba:

Don't quote me on this but here is what I have found to resolve my posting issue most of the time, a few still fail to show but not like before, which was very, very frustrating as you all know!

In responding to this thread here, I logged in at the upper right hand corner, hit post reply above the thread on the left and type my response in the big reply box. I then highlight everything here in the reply box that I just spent all this time typing, right-click and hit copy. This step is done to save all your response, just in case the following instructions fail and your response heads off into the ozone; never, ever to be seen again! This is really the pits and after about 30 times, I almost gave up but I wanted to be here so I kept on until I worked through it. Everyone who wants to spend several minutes on a great post just to have it vaporize, please raise your hands!

Okay, so now you have saved everything you just typed and depending on the length of time it has taken to type my/your reply, the system may still recognize I/you as logged in, thus the post should go through fine, if it says I/you need to log in first, use the large log in area in the main body (below the not logged in message) and not the small log in at the upper right hand corner and log in once more. At this point, it should go do whatever it is it does and then your response should magically appear in the thread. If not, have no fear, as if you did what I do, you still have your response held in memory by virtue of the right click and copy method above.

So log in, hit reply to thread, right click, paste your message into the reply box. Once you paste your original response that would have previously been beamed up and vaporized without the right click copy method, you will then need to add a sentence or a couple of words to it or the system will recognize it as being the one it just gobbled up and will tell you that you already posted this once... Well, duh!!

This should help you get your post through. My apologies for the long response but I am going to follow my own advice and see if I can get it this posted into the thread.

Best of luck
                            Create signature while not logged in, edited through forums.davita.com on 08/15/2012 @ 12:53!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X