Young Mom with CKD Stage 1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young Mom with CKD Stage 1?

I am wondering if any of the women here have ever experienced my problem. I have shown protein in my urine with all three of my pregnancies. Usually it is a very large amount. The one thing that baffles doctors' is that the protein usually returns back to normal after I deliver. And also for my first two pregnancies I didn't have high blood pressure. About two years after my second daughter was born I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. Therefore with my last pregnancy I had high blood pressure and a significant amount of protein in the urine.

My Kidney DOC has told me before that this was nothing to worry about now. But I noticed on my records he has me labeled as 'Minor Severity- CKD S 1'. I am confused.

I had a kidney biopsy July 26th and no results yet..

Re: Young Mom with CKD Stage 1?

I don't want to cause you to stress. But the same thing happened to me 4 years ago with my last pregnancy. Two hospital stays and 4 years later, I am on dialysis. I would stay on that doctors case and/or get a second opinion.

in center hemo dialysis since May 2009
    Sudden ESRD - non diabetic (but have 2 at home)
    turned down for list "lack of support" WHAT!!! starting over at different transplant center)

Comment

Could you tell me more about your experience if you have time?

Comment

I'd love to.
        When I was pregnant with Alex, our middle child, I had developed some swelling in my legs. Feeling that this was due to working on my feet and being pregnant, I did worry about this. He ended up being born as an emergency c-section. From time to time I would check my blood pressure. But my doctor had been unconcerned, saying I was "too young" for blood pressure pills. Fast forward to 2006, my blood pressure was on the high side with each doctor's visit. This doctor wanted me to monitor it closer. But it only seemed high on dr appt days. We chalked it up to nerves. I wanted to do a V-BAC, My doctor advised against it. We compromised, set a date and if baby did not come by the date, we would go in for the c-section. Well, we ended up doing the c-section. In the OR, after he sent hubby to the nursery with Jonathon, he found 2 large cysts on my ovaries. He removed those. They sent us home from the hospital. My sister-in-law came over and told my husband to take me back to the ER. I was white and my legs were extremely swollen. I had post-par-tum preeclampsia. My blood pressure was outrageously high and the re-admitted me to the hospital. I was not allowed to breast-feed. I was put on blood pressure pills. "For now" the doctor said.
        Fast-forward another 4 years- 2 weeks shy of being exactly 4 years to the day. I had not checked my blood pressure in a long while. By the time I returned to work, my blood pressure was always normal. So I had stopped taking the pills. After all, my numbers were normal and I did not want it to go too low. Then I got sick. I had a COUGH. For a month, this cough would not go away. I also had some serious swelling on my legs, and was exhausted ALL the time, no matter how much sleep I got. All of which I attributed to the fact that I was working 55 hours a week, doing all the stuff around the house and raising 3 boys. Thinking that I had bronchitis, I self-medicated. Until the Sunday before Mother's Day. I could not breathe. I went to the ER. They took my blood pressure and said, we are admitting you. Be right back. Three hours later I was in a room waiting for someone to tell me why I was admitted for a cough. suddenly there is a nephrologist telling me that I had stage 4 kidney failure and they would be scheduling a biopsy the next day. I have never been more shocked or terrified in my life. No one in my entire huge family has ever had kidney problems.
        Within 2 weeks, I was told that I would be on dialysis. By the last week of May, I was going to dialysis every MWF.
        A year later, I am very active in my clinic, working full time and trying to raise my sons to be much more aware of what they eat and how they treat their bodies.

in center hemo dialysis since May 2009
        Sudden ESRD - non diabetic (but have 2 at home)
        turned down for list "lack of support" WHAT!!! starting over at different transplant center)

Comment

Oh wow you have been through quite a time.

I can understand why my Dr thinks it's not that big of a deal since I only have protein in my urine when I'm pregnant. But My OB/GYN thought it was a big deal. And she told me to make sure to get a biopsy.

My kidney Dr todl me before i had the biopsy done that 'He didn't think they'd find anything.' And even if they did- 'They wouldn't treat it right now'.

Comment

Working...
          X