CKD and Other Health Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CKD and Other Health Problems

Do you think if you have multiple health issue, the kidney disease will advance more rapidly? My other issues are stomach related but they have some of the same symptoms as kidney disease. Such as anemia and fatigue. Trying to keep myself as healthy as possible, but sometimes the body takes over no matter what you do.
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Re: CKD and Other Health Problems

Tonia,
    Usually with the early stages of chronic kidney disease, anemia and fatigue, are the key symptoms, but if CKD is diagnosed in the early stages, preventive measures can be taken to remedy these problems with meds and in some cases your diet. By the way, have you been tested for the early stages of CKD? Hit me up anytime. O.K,.

Take Care
    Glo

Comment

Hi Tonia!

This is really a question that is best answered by your health care team. Every person is different, as is their disease course, treatment regimen, and prognosis.

It does sound like you are getting a "double dose" of some unpleasant symptoms, though. Be assertive with your doc, and try to find out if she/he can help you treat those.

Be well.
      Diagnosed Stage 2 CKD (lupus) 1985
      PD March 2009-present
      On Transplant List
      Husband is a match (undecided about that for now)

Comment

Glo, I have been at stage 3 for 2 yrs. My Drs. do blood work often because my stomach does bleed with the G.A.V.E. Treatment for anemia has been iron. The only thing that was said about my diet was that it wasn't a concern till I reached stage 4. Wondering if I should be more proactive now?? Thank you for your message.

Comment

Hi Annie, Thank you for your reply. The question about ckd progression is always near my mind. I wonder why some people are diagnosed early and reach stage 5 quickly. Others can remain at stage 3 for 20 yrs. I've had alot of "doctoring" through the years and have learned to ask questions.

Right now I'm doing pretty well and feel good. The stomach problems get me down frequently,but right now it's all good.

Thanks again for your message--Take care, Toni

Comment

Tonia,
            I believe that contrast dye can further decrease kidney function. However, I also realize that sometimes we really do need to have a contrast CT scan. My docs have a treatment protocol starting the day before, day of, and three days after. I had a contrast CT scan in November and have not lost any more kidney function. Thee treatment protocol was mycomyst starting the day before and continuing for three days after; IV fluids (fast drip) for an hour before the scan and at a slower rate for 6 hours after. It was a long day at the hospital, but most of the people I saw at the infusion center made me feel blessed to be where I am. Taking these precautions with contrast dye, avoiding aspirin and other NSAIDS are relatively easy things we can do --and I say "easy" somewhat sarcastically, since I've got bad arthritis and would LOVE to have some anti-inflammatory meds. But that aint gonna happen. Hang in there,
            Janice

Comment

Janice, I really appreciate the info about contrast dye. I have not been in that situation since diagnosed, but good useful information. I know what you mean about the anit inflamatory drugs. I have arthritis also.

Thank again, Toni

Comment

Working...
              X