New dx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New dx

I've been having a lot of joint pain, and occasional increase in BP. My Dr ordered labs to rule out RA. Now I see my GFR is 59 and my Potasium 5.2. He doesn't seem to be concerned. I have an appt tomorrow to ask for a referral to a nephrologist. My husband thinks I'm overreacting. I think long term high protein diet may be cause. Any ideas?

Welcome Barbara. You are never over reacting when it comes to your health. If your physician is not concerned, than I would not seek a nephrologist until your are in CKD stage 3 or you have spongy kidney disease, vesicouretal reflux, or kindey stones or other congenital kidney issue. I work at a hospital and I know our nephrologists don't accept patients without a referral from their physician for stage 3 CKD or any other kidney problems like listed above. If you have any listed above they don't require a physician referral. Yes a high protein diet can affect your kidney health. I am glad you found this site as I have. There are great resources especially the diet help meal plans and tracker. Move from high protein to average daily recommendation of protein; up your fruits and vegetables, cut out all processed food. My rule is if it comes from the ground it is okay to eat or drink. If it comes from a box or can and/or processed it is not good for me to eat; they mainly are sugar, salt, and fat. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
    X