X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KelseyAtDaVita
    replied
    Originally posted by acemcgee View Post
    Hi All, great to find a forum like this. I'm not entirely new to CKD, I was diagnosed at 28 and am now 45 (well tomorrow I am - birthday is on the 3rd) My most recent test has put me at stage 3 with an eGFR (still waiting the 24 hour urine analysis) of 56. I'm feeling a little sorry for myself at the moment and find that my partner doesn't seem to empathise much with me on this, I'm not sure she gets the severity of CKD and its making me feel disconnected from her. When I try talk to her or seek emotional support she seems nonchalant about it and doesn't respond. Am I reading too much into this? Do any of you have similar experiences. I think what depresses me most is the though of dying and leaving my wife and kids without me as I'm the sole provider here, I'm not particularly afraid of dying myself, it is what it is and is unavoidable.
    Hi acemcgee, I'm happy you found these forums as well! How was your birthday??
    After reading your post, have you and your wife been able to speak with a social worker? They may be able to help guide you through some of these difficulties and answer important questions you may have. I'm sure you'll be able to speak with others going through the same thing on these forums.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any myDaVita questions in the future. I wish you and your family all the best!

Kelsey

Leave a comment:

• Russmeri
    replied
    As the significant other of a ESRD patient on dialysis - I read all I can, shop and cook, manage meds, appts, and advocate in any way I can. Maybe the fact that I've lived thru CHF loss of a spouse and septic loss of a spouse 23 years after that makes me have an entirely different concern - I can't imagine what I would do in the position of a patient without or if he shut me out when he was the patient. I hope you are able to find a way to fully share all aspects of life and by all means live your lives to the fullest making memories. Prayers and hopes for you both that your disease may progress very slowly. We have a friend who has managed thru diet and HBP care to go 30 years since diagnosis and now is about the stage each of you are currently. Be proactive and my best wishes

Leave a comment:

• DebbyRig
    replied
    Hello acemcgee. First Happy Birthday a few days early. I found out I had CKD when my GFR was at 53 about three years ago. I felt sorry for myself and depressed and scared about the whole situation. My husband says he is here for support but I don't get much in the way of support the way I need it I guess. I think it is the nature of the beast called CKD. Our loved ones don't seem to understand what it means.(in my opinion) Here I am 3 years later and just trying to live my life while I am still feeling pretty good. You are at GFR of 56 so you can till do things to keep your GFR on the high side. Take action now so it stays that way for a long time. And don't think about dying..I know it is hard to not think about but you are not dying at this moment. Even in later stages and on dialysis you can live a long life. Just start to get things in order now in case you get sick. Do it now while you are at a good point. It will make you feel more in control and then you can start living again. Things will get easier to deal with. If you have any questions feel free to message me and I would be happy to help. Now is the time to watch your diet, get really healthy. Take Care
    Rhonda

Leave a comment:

• acemcgee
    started a topic Not entirely new - where's the support

Not entirely new - where's the support

Hi All, great to find a forum like this. I'm not entirely new to CKD, I was diagnosed at 28 and am now 45 (well tomorrow I am - birthday is on the 3rd) My most recent test has put me at stage 3 with an eGFR (still waiting the 24 hour urine analysis) of 56. I'm feeling a little sorry for myself at the moment and find that my partner doesn't seem to empathise much with me on this, I'm not sure she gets the severity of CKD and its making me feel disconnected from her. When I try talk to her or seek emotional support she seems nonchalant about it and doesn't respond. Am I reading too much into this? Do any of you have similar experiences. I think what depresses me most is the though of dying and leaving my wife and kids without me as I'm the sole provider here, I'm not particularly afraid of dying myself, it is what it is and is unavoidable.
Working...
X