Diovan for high blood pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diovan for high blood pressure

Hi. My husband has HBP and takes several meds to control it. Now his doc wants to increase the Diovan from 160 to 320. He said that it protects the kidneys but I started to read and it says be careful using this med with impaired kidney function. His GFR is now 23.Can anybody give me some information regarding the use of Diovan? Thanks.
    Wishing everyone a safe and happy July 4TH.

Originally posted by Herb75 View Post
    Hi. My husband has HBP and takes several meds to control it. Now his doc wants to increase the Diovan from 160 to 320. He said that it protects the kidneys but I started to read and it says be careful using this med with impaired kidney function. His GFR is now 23.Can anybody give me some information regarding the use of Diovan? Thanks.
    Wishing everyone a safe and happy July 4TH.
    Herb75,
    Did the Neph prescribe Diovan?
    Unfortunately many meds, including B/P meds, will include that disclaimer, it's a legality issue.
    Sometimes the benefits outweigh the risks, please make sure you discuss this concern with Neph.

Another great resource is the pharmacist. I have found they're a wealth of information
    when it comes to drugs. At times more so than the prescribing Dr.
    I was prescribed an antibiotic recently, which interacted with one of my antirejection meds,
    luckily the walgreens pharmacist caught it.

Take care

Marina
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Hi Am new here but seen your message. I have had high blood pressure and had to have a renal stint put in back in Oct. 2011. I was on Diovan 320 mg for so long now i am only on diovan 80 mg. Please be careful for so many meds will not help your kidneys. I have ended up on Kidney Dialysis as of May 2012. I wish you luck. Talk to your kidney dr about any meds. Prayers to you Delores

Comment

I think your husband should be less use of Diovan. Any drug can have side effects. It completely depends on the amount of your husband's physical condition. I know the blood pressure treatment in Singapore is very good, if you are interested to know. I think it will make your husband a little better than now. I hope your husband a speedy recovery.

Comment

Not long ago, a study (can't think of name) I read actually stated the the action of the type of BP med Diovan is helps the kidney blood flow. Not only does it lower the BP to help the kidney, there is the secondary benefit of that action.

My doctor has me on 320 mg (my primary) and my nephrologist wants me to stay on the Diovan to keep the BP down. I have had no deleterious effects from taking the Diovan.

Comment

I have been taking irbesartan 300mg (generic for Avapro) now for 18 years. I take also atenolol and HCTZ which a diuretic. My blood pressure is so high that nothing else works to control it. I am now Stage 4 after being stable at Stage 3 for ten years. My kidneys failed as a result of high blood pressure. I took Celebrex and Vioxx for a long time, which completely nullified taking my Avapro, but I didn't tell my doctor I was taking them, and they were not prescribed by him. I took them for arthritis pain and degenerated discs, but I snuck them out of the drug closet of my employer, an orthopedic surgeon. They were free samples pushed on him by the drug companies. My nephrologist feels, and the clinical studies bear this out, that Avapro is the best of the class of drugs that Diovan is also included in. It stays in the body longer and lowers blood pressure the most effectively. Don't know about drugs that are relatively better or worse for the kidneys.

Comment

I have been drinking hibiscus tea mixed with a few elderberries mixed in and it seems to keep my blood pressure down. I just read in the forum that elderberries are high in potassium so wondering what your thoughts are. I really want to keep drinking this as it seems to work with my blood pressure but am now worried it might not be good for my kidneys. Any thoughts on this?.

Comment

Originally posted by hawklover View Post
                I have been drinking hibiscus tea mixed with a few elderberries mixed in and it seems to keep my blood pressure down. I just read in the forum that elderberries are high in potassium so wondering what your thoughts are. I really want to keep drinking this as it seems to work with my blood pressure but am now worried it might not be good for my kidneys. Any thoughts on this?.
                Hi hawklover, thanks for your message! It's best if you consult with your local dietitian to determine if the tea is right for your kidney diet. As everyone's needs are different, it's important to speak with your care team to determine what's best for your particular needs. Thank you, have a great Monday!

Comment

Working...
                X