Acid reflux medications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acid reflux medications

Are there any good answers about whether H2 like Ranitidine or PPI like Omeprazole is safer for kidneys? I will check with MD in a couple of weeks, but wonder if there are answers here.

I think all Nephs. are going to tell you something different. Mine says Prilosec is ok but does not want me to take any kind of Vitamins. Some drs. want their pts on a reg vitamin every day. I would wait and see what you dr. says. Make sure you are doing all the things to help with a GERD, like not laying down for a couple of hours after eating, no sodas, no spicy foods, small amts. more often, also try to elevate your head when sleeping. Good Luck

Comment

I am stage 3 CKD, and am 74 yeras old. I have been taking Prilosec for years due to GERD and esophagus condition. I asked about Prilosec and my Doctor feels it is alright to take it in my situation. I also asked about vitamins and a brand and type was recommended. Your Doctor would be able to tell you if Prilosec is appropriate for you and any vitamins.

Comment

I have moved from stage 2 to stage 3 and have been on Omeprazole for about four years. I was wondering if the effect of the drug could effect my kidneys and found this from January 2016 - http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/857060. Basically, it's a study from Johns Hopkins and published by the AMA that says Omeprazole can be responsible for up to a 50% increase in CKD.

Anyone else have feelings or evidence on the subject?

Comment

From my experience I've been on Omeprazole for 12 years. Was dx with CKD 3 this year. This year my GP(at the VA Health System) stopped my Omeprazole(Zantac) due to PPI'S(proton pump inhibitors) being linked to CKD. I'm not saying my CKD is from Omeprazole but who knows?? Continued use could make it worse Numerous studies including one from the VA has determined this. As Chass41 stated my physician switched me to Ranitidine (H2 blocker). It has worked as well as Omeprazole and I have more peace of mind.

Comment

Ihave had CKD for years and was on Prilosec for years. I called a law firm abou the injury claims. Apparently the drug company will only recognize people who HAVE NOT had CKD before taking it. If you developed it after you started taking it you may be compensated but if it worsened your condition they say they have no way of knowing that was the cause since you started take in it while in CKD state. I had to wean myself off the med very slowly..i.e. Every other day for three weeks then every third and so on..I am now completely off it. But in Stage 5 due to several reasons but my CKD has worsened over the years. Stoping the drug cold turkey causes heartburn immediately...remember
            The drug company wants you to continue it and so what it does is shuts down the HCL Acid production in your stomach. You stop the drug and a rush of HCL begins and it is overwhelming so you take the drug and stop it. It is a vicious cycle. That's why weaning works...along with all the other tricks until your body regulates itself....

Comment

I Take sodium bicarbonate 14 500 Mg a day and it has helped me a lot

Comment

I have being on sodium bicarbonate 14 500 MG a day in canada this is free when your DR registers you, and it is helping me a lot

Comment

Originally posted by jsolomons View Post
                  I have moved from stage 2 to stage 3 and have been on Omeprazole for about four years. I was wondering if the effect of the drug could effect my kidneys and found this from January 2016 - http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/857060. Basically, it's a study from Johns Hopkins and published by the AMA that says Omeprazole can be responsible for up to a 50% increase in CKD.

Anyone else have feelings or evidence on the subject?
                  YES- OMEPRAZOLE, PRILOSEC, PREVACID, NEXIUM HAVE ALL BEEN PROVED TO CAUSE CKD. THINK YOU ARE BEING TOLD TO KEEP TAKING OMEPRAZOLE BECAUSE REVERSAL IS IMPOSSIBLE. CURRENTLY LAWSUIT IN U.S. FOR THESE MEDS. I ALSO DEVELOPE STONES- DIET FOR STONES, CONFLICTS WITH DIET FOR DISEASE. AM CONSIDERING GOING TO CHINA- TREATMENT FOR CKD FAR ADVANCED FROM REST OF WORLD. WHY?? CHINA IN TALKS WITH OTHER COUNTRIES TO SHARE

Comment

I think you are right, I have been taking Omaprozole for a long time now. I'm considering to stop taking it and see how it works out. Have a appointment with my Nephrologist tomorrow. I' m also having problems with potassium and GFR level maybe also part of the same medication.

Comment

Pantaprazole...is that same as Omaprozole?

Comment

I have gone off multiple medications for acid reflux/GERD which I have been on for years. I am drinking 2 ounces of Georgia's Aloe Vera Juice twice a day and it seems to be extremely helpful. Georgia's Aloe Juice tastes like drinking water, no bitter taste at all! I have also just added in Proven Old Amish Formula Stops Acid Reflux made by Caleb Treeze Organic Farm in Glendale, CA. I take 2 Tbs a day in a large glass water. Chiropractic office gave me info. I purchased Georgias Aloe Juice on Amazon at a good price by buying 64oz. It can be taken more often, I would imagine, if necessary. But I would check with your physician. Personally, my doctor(s) have given me NO advice. Time for a drastic change regarding my health.

Comment

Help, this forum is the first I have heard about Nexium, etc. being an issue relating to ESRD. Please tell me what the situation is. I have seen or heard nothing. My nephrologist has said nothing about my being on Nexium. I went straight to ESRD with only going thru the stages in a month. I have been on a PPI for about 9 plus years and have had kidney disease for 4 years. Who do I contact?

Comment

Originally posted by Beverly7R View Post
                            Help, this forum is the first I have heard about Nexium, etc. being an issue relating to ESRD. Please tell me what the situation is. I have seen or heard nothing. My nephrologist has said nothing about my being on Nexium. I went straight to ESRD with only going thru the stages in a month. I have been on a PPI for about 9 plus years and have had kidney disease for 4 years. Who do I contact?
                            Hi Beverly7R, it's best to consult with your local care team regarding any specific medical-related questions as everyone's needs and situations are different.

Have a great week!

Comment

Working...
                            X