Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you cover your PD access site with a bandage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you cover your PD access site with a bandage?

I recently had the PD catherer placed. It's taking forever to go on PD because I had a hernnia repair at the same time, and the surgeon wants it to heal before starting PD.

When I went for my 2 week check-up after surgery, an intern removed the bandages, so when the surgeon came in the part of my stomach where the cath was inserted was uncovered and she was surprised (thought I had removed it), but later said, "some people leave it like that".

I was shocked.

Do any of you leave the site uncovered?

Originally posted by newbie View Post
    I recently had the PD catherer placed. It's taking forever to go on PD because I had a hernnia repair at the same time, and the surgeon wants it to heal before starting PD.

When I went for my 2 week check-up after surgery, an intern removed the bandages, so when the surgeon came in the part of my stomach where the cath was inserted was uncovered and she was surprised (thought I had removed it), but later said, "some people leave it like that".

I was shocked.

Do any of you leave the site uncovered?
    Newbie,

I was on PD over 8 years ago and was on it for 12 years. When I first started PD when I was in my teens ( now 37) We were always told to cover the exit site. But studies since have showed that when you cover, you are creating a breeding ground for bacteria since you are covering and the moisture is being trapped inside. I always like to cover my site up as I felt more protected.
    I would try to do some research on this as well as talk with your nephrologist. If you do cover, I would try to cover with a breathing type of covering that lets air in. Do not leave it covered for long periods of time either. You can find studies that will support both covering and leaving open... Hope this helps....
    NxStage - Since April - 06
    Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Comment

Thank you for replying. M3Riddler

It's quite a dilemma, isn't it? A part of me really wants to just leave it uncovered and let it "breathe", but I'm afraid to do so.

All of those of you on PD, what do you prefer? Covered, or uncovered?

Comment

Talked with my PD nurse and she has maintained that any of her patients that didn't cover the catheter seem to get infections and others who cover the catheter go 3 or 4 years without an infection. If you take precautions, keep it clean, and don't rush or take shortcuts in your PD exchanges you may be okay. Personally I prefer having it tucked away to reduce movement. Sorry to hear it is taking so long to start. I started training 6 days after surgery and was on full PD the 2nd week. I feel so much better. Just have to keep an eye on UFs to make sure you don't get dehydrated.

Comment

I used an IV split bandage MON70862000.JPG
          http://www.bettymills.com/shop/produ...04in%20x%204in
          which my PD unit provided to cover exit site.

However it's super important to keep exite site super clean. I used to wash with an antibacterial soap in the shower. Use a clean washcloth every time. Start with the exit site and then the washcloth can be used for the rest of your body.
          I had one clean washcloth to shower with and another to dry after I showered.
          I always let it dry completely before applying Exsept (sanitizing solution provided by nurses) http://www.alcavishdc.com/products/exsept_plus.html and then let that air dry too.

I taped the catheter well to avoid accidentally pulling on it.

I had one infection, when cultured it showed it was a water infection, or meaning I didn't let it dry completely.
          Lesson learned, I would wake up extra early to let it air dry and avoid another infection.
          I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Working...
          X