New to Home Hemo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Home Hemo

We are on day 2 of training to start HHD, very informative and alot of information...but I am sure we can do this..

Be strong, if I was able to do it you can too! I have been doing it since 2004 and still going strong...recently I released my Android Alarms App for Nxstage System One users, it made my treatments bit easier and hope it will help others like it did to me....read more details about it at my blog at DailyHemo Freebies ..any feedback about it welcomed... join me on twitter where I check more often..

"Don't Give Up!"
    Last edited by Gustine; 08-16-2012, 06:07 PM.
    My Blog Site
    Http://www.dailyhemo.org
    sigpic

Comment

I been in hhd since march 2012 and its going good
      . Thers days we are freakin out but dont give up. Study your machine
      Learn the everything about it and it will be much eazyr. God bless

Comment

Originally posted by randycook View Post
        We are on day 2 of training to start HHD, very informative and alot of information...but I am sure we can do this..
        randycook,

Just take it one day at a time. I'm sure you will experience "information overload" Just try not to take everything in as they go over it. Take it in at your own level of learning. They are not going to release you until you are comfortable with everything. Dont be afraid to askthem questions no matter how simple nor complicated. Dont be afraid to question anything they do. Learn what your labs mean, learn why your kidneys failed and never be afraid to question anyone in the medical team including your nephrologist.

What blood flow do they have you running at?
        How much fluid are they removing per hour?

Let us know how everything goes or if you have any questions...
        NxStage - Since April - 06
        Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Comment

Questions about home dialysis

Can u swim if u do home dialysis? Do u stilll cramp up?
          Last edited by Jomcbrien; 09-17-2012, 07:52 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Jomcbrien View Post
            Can u swim if u do home dialysis? Do u stilll cramp up?
            A reason people cramp up on hemo dialysis is that they are either pulling too much fluid off too fast, pulling too much fluid off, or blood flow too high, or combination of above... Lower blood flows is less stressful on the body as well as the heart..

///M3R
            NxStage - Since April - 06
            Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Comment

I wrote this in response to another thread on cramping...

There is very little information on cramping available. On top of that most Dr's don't seem to think it's that big of a deal. I went though it for almst 9 months and it was horrible. Here is what I learned on my own.

Trying to take too much fluid off and going below your real dry weight is primary. Are his ankles swolllen? Is he straining to walk? How do his lungs sound? Getting to a good and appropriate dry weight is important. There are a number of ways to assess fluid overload and removing too much fluid. The center and your nephrologist "should" be able to assist f you and/or he speaks up.

Blood chemistry. Calcium should be within range and also magnesium. If either is low treat accordingly.Make sure you Dr does a complete blood panel and goes through it carefully. There might be red flags. Look at your potassium level. If it's low adding high potassium foods can help bring it up. My potassium was average so it allowed me to eat raisins during treatment. About 2 hours into treatment I would eat a snacko f rasins and it did help. Before treatment I would eat yogurt which is good nutrition and decent for protein and also some potassium.

Your protein should be nice and high too. Eating at least 1oz of protein before and snacking on good sources of protein during will help. For faster recovery 2oz of protein after should be on the to do list.

Nutrition is also important. You shoukd be on Folic Acid and Vitamin D regardless of cramping. Adding a B vitamin, Vitamin E and increasing your vitamin D can help.

If you are on a re-use dialyzer ask to try a disposable one. This for me made the most significant difference. The center and your nephrologist may fight this one, but it may indeed help.

Cramping leaves a trail. For me I had terrible pain even the day after. Tramadol helps for pain management. It will make you drowsy, however if you are at your wits end, it helps a lot. the 50mg dose without Tylenol is the most common and not too expensive.

To dull the cramps themselve,s if nothing else helps, talk to your nephrologist about Neurontin. It is an anti seizure medicine, but it also helps relieve chronic cramping. I started on a dose of 100mg the night before dialysis and 100mg just before dialysis. I ended up at 400mg before dialysis and also a dose of Tramadol the night before with the extra 100mg also the night before. I was very drowsy during dialysis but napping is quite alright. The trouble is that post treatment it took it's toll.

Ultimately I have moved to Home Hemo and it is so much better than in center I can't say enough good about it. You are on a much milder form of dialysis and are removing so much less fluid per treatment. It is ideal for your overall health and also alleviating cramping. I am still in the process of weaning myself off the pain and seizure medicine which is a big plus. Life is MUCH better. Talk to your nephrologist about it. Your center should also be able to provide info. It may or may not be for him but it's worth looking into.

If you have any other issues about cramping email me. I went through it on my own for a long time without my neprologist's help nor the centers help.

I hope you feel better soon.
              Last edited by Speedy1wrc; 02-15-2013, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Before you knock yourself out with Neurontin give Quellitall a try. Seems to work for most people and you don't need a prescription.

Comment

Working...
                X