Starting PD Next week.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting PD Next week.

I am new to PD and am looking to talk with others who also do PD. I am hoping to learn from others as I take the new journey with my dialysis. I would like to build my support here on Davita.com with other patients who are using PD.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Hi Mark,

It's great that you're seeking out others who are also on the dialysis journey, no need to go at it alone!!

I did CAPD for 6½ yrs. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

Take care
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

I am fairly new to PD or any type of dialysis. I started 8 months ago and my main complaint is the weight gain. I am diabetic and having to take a lot more insulin and still having problems with my sugars being too high. I am seriously considering switching over to hemodialysis to see if I can get off some of tis weight. Does any one else have this problem. I hate to admit this but I have gained 60 pounds in 8 months. No one at the clinic where I go for my monthly labs seems to get the frustration I am feeling. Should I switch or can someone tell me how to lose weight while on PD and being a diabetic. I will wait to make my desision after I get some feedback from ya'll.
      thanks for listening.
      Last edited by toosweet; 07-17-2012, 07:19 PM. Reason: my "H" is missing from my keyboard and some of the words containing an :NB " in them looked funkyso I tried to correct them a

Comment

Marina , I dion't know you but from the things I have read you seem very knowledgeable of dialysis. Can you please help me with this. Like I stated above, I have gained so much weight and my proteins are still too low. I have cut out almost all carbs and this asn't helped either.

Comment

Originally posted by toosweet View Post
          Marina , I dion't know you but from the things I have read you seem very knowledgeable of dialysis. Can you please help me with this. Like I stated above, I have gained so much weight and my proteins are still too low. I have cut out almost all carbs and this asn't helped either.
          Hi Toosweet,
          Has your thyroid been checked?

My weight gain on PD was less than 5lbs in the 6+yrs I was on it. But I don't think that was due to the solution itself.
          I was very active, my guess is that being active helped me keep weight off.

Can you discuss "extraneal" (icodextrin) with your Dr. or PD nurse? Extraneal is made out of a starch and not a dextrose. Extraneal is recommended for diabetics because BG's don't spike like they do with regular dextrose dialysate.

Hope this helps.
          I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Hi there,
            I wish you the best of luck. I started dialysis 9 motnhs ago. Just started on CCPD almost 2 motnhs ago. I tried the cycler, but it didnt work out to well for me. im on manual now and I love it. I hope it works out for you!! )

Comment

Hi everybody!! I'm really new to dialysis... just started at-home PD 3 weeks ago... ( Dec 17th )... I'm doing the manual right now, but am being trained on the cycler next week... Haven't had any real problems yet... with the adjustment on my basal rates on my insulin pump, my blood sugars are pretty well controlled...my biggest thing now is scheduling my cycles around what i need to do during the day.... but it's going well....

Just wanted to drop in and say hi... i've learned from experience that support ( no matter who it's from ) is key....

Comment

Working...
              X