Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any OTR truck drivers doing PD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any OTR truck drivers doing PD?

Hi - my husband has been fighting having to go on dialysis for the past few months. He had been laid off for almost 2 years until last year when he was able to get his CDL thru the DOL and start working for a trucking company. He was so happy to be able to go back to work. Not long after his kidneys started getting worse. They are now at 6% and he has no choice but to start PD. His doctor and surgeon keep saying that he should be able to go back to work and do the PD on the truck as long as he keeps everything sanitary but I dont really know if that's possible. It would be great if he could find another truck driver going thru the same thing that he could talk to about it.

His PD cath surgery is scheduled for July 16th. He won't get paid for the time he takes off to go thru the surgery, then healing and the classes so I know he's worried we are going to struggle but his health must come first. I know God will make a way for everything to be alright. I'd appreciate any information and support. Thanks again

mikawill

I was once an OTR driver, and I would doubt that it's possible. Not only will he have to keep a whole bunch of rather fragile bags filled with fluid from getting broken, but he'll also need to keep them within certain temperature ranges, as well. And, if he gets an infection of his peritoneum, he'll have to leave his rig wherever he happens to be, and enter the hospital. I'm sure that there are few companies willing to accept that happening. Also, cleanliness is next to unheard of in this business. I doubt the sleeper compartment is clean enough, and while truckstop shower stalls are possibly cleaner, I doubt they'd like to be used for draining purposes.

Now, if you own your own truck, and drive as a team, and are willing to accept the possibility of having to leave him at a hospital in god-knows-where while you continue on with the load, it MIGHT work. Otherwise, he'll have to look for local work (which is usually more physically demanding), or else do what 90% of people in the business have to do eventually; leave the business. Perhaps dispatching is a possibility?

Comment

Originally posted by willzell View Post
      Hi - my husband has been fighting having to go on dialysis for the past few months. He had been laid off for almost 2 years until last year.......
      His PD cath surgery is scheduled for July 16th. He won't get paid for the time he takes off to go thru the surgery, then healing and the classes so I know he's worried we are going to struggle but his health must come first. I know God will make a way for everything to be alright. I'd appreciate any information and support. Thanks again

mikawill
      I'm not sure if each state is different, but in Califonia if you're out more than
      7 days due to an illness you can apply for state disability.
      SDI starts paying on the 8th day of disability but it only pays a portion of your pay (if I'm not mistaken 35-55%) ,
      they base that amount on how much a person earned the last quarter worked.
      When I had my PD cath surgery, I was out for 11 weeks and got paid for it.
      I was out for 7 months post Transplant surgery and I applied for state disability as well.
      He can call the social security office for more info.
      One very important thing to remember, he must file all the paperwork no later than 60 days from the his first day of disability or he WILL be denied.
      Take care!
      Marina
      I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Working...
      X