Home (PD) Diaylsis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mab,
    I have been on in-center Hemo for three years. I decided to look into the home treatment option and have found that it has way more positives than caveats. With any type of medical procedure there is a certain amount of risk, but PD at home is actually less strenous and safer in the long run. Your hubby will have less chances for clots, and strokes and will not feel whipped after a treatment or have to take so many frequent naps. My Vascular surgeon is thrilled with my decision as well as my dialysis clinic PA and the Nephrologist. Seems when I started Hemo I was miss informed about needle sticks and made a wrong decision. I have an unreasonable fear of sticking myself with a needle. I have performed emergency surgery and delivered babies, but cannot stick a needle in me. Go figure huh? So I say go for it and good luck. Dont get overwhelmed, just take notes and ask questions if there is something your not clear on or need more explanation of. It will be a time and fuel saver too. I figure just the fuel to go back and forth will save me at least 100 bucks a month. How's that for incentive to give it a try.
    Bob

Comment

Hi i started PD June 2012 i could not be more happy i do a exchange every 4 hours 9am 1pm 5pm and 9pm then sleep through the night its been going just find no problems i think you will do just find. i made sure to follow the instruction from my PD nurse and the doctor have not gained any weight or lost any, getting ready to start working out walking about two miles per day it great

Comment

Hi to All, I’m new to this site but thought I’d share an experience we had at the beginning of Home Therapy. We have been doing PD for about 3 months now and were on our second machine.
        During our training at the Center our first machine arrived so we were able to train on it including setting up the program. The first time we started the run for it to prime it failed and we had to start over. This involved calling Baxter’s 800 # and talking to the support team. Good experience for the training. We had to reload the cassette and go again, success. All is well and we passed the course. Our PD Nurse brought the machine over so we could set it up for home use and check for any issues that may occur, mission accomplished.
        The very next night the machine failed to prime again. I called the 800# and talked to the tech. he talked me through the process and we had to reload the machine. This time everything, new cassette and solution bags. This required one to dump the solution bags that failed to prime. I’ve got to give those tech. people credit, they know their business. The next night, the very same thing happened so I didn’t call tech. support, I already knew what to do and did it, night after night for about a week. Then one night the machine gave me a different coded error.
        So I called tech. support and they walked me through some steps and advised that we were through, the machine was toast and that they would send out another in the morning. This was a weekend day and they had a courier deliver another machine. It gets better. The tech ran me through the programming schedule on the machine, took down the information including the new machine ID Number. That way when the new machine arrived, I could program the machine and if I needed help from support they also could walk me through it.
        Lessons Learned: Communications is key, keep close communications with your Team. Include everyone, I failed to call support each time the machine failed because I thought I had the answer. I’m bald now, not sure if the machine had much to do with it but it could have. Sorry about the long saga, but life is bliss when things work like they are suppose to.

Comment

I've been on PD for a couple of months. We have some issues - but it seems to be the best choice for us right now and I love the freedom. One thing I will say - when the DaVita nurse says call her any time if things go wrong - she means it. She really really means it.

Are you looking at the exit site red and sore and thinking you have an infection at 3 am? Call the DaVita nurse - she can tell you that the catheter has been moving around too much and you can tape it down. She doesn't even sound that sleepy.... Even though you will have thorough training, things will go wrong when you get home - just like when you bring a baby home from the hospital - don't be afraid to call! (I say this so you can benefit from our mistake - we had a lot of pain all 5 drains the first night, and we thought it was normal and didn't call the nurse - and she was so flabbergasted the next day she didn't even know what to say!)

Comment

Hi I am Sharon - my husband is on peritoneal dialysis. I have a question how often can you use a 4.25 dialysis solution? He does not seem to lose any weight using the 2.50 solution. Any information would be helpful.

Thank You

Comment

Good afternoon all. My husband is on PD, using a cycler at night and one manual exchange during the day. Much better than in-center Hemo, but still some issues. He has been on home PD since last July. He still has alot of pain during drain/fill, some pretty severe., He's had several CT scans, but they can't find anything wrong. I'll admit he is feeling much better w/ PD, but the pain is a constant worry. Does this ever get better? Also, he is a small guy, but his stomach is HUGE. He only carries 1000 during the day, but sometimes he looks like he is 7 months pregnant. Dr just blows it off as no big deal. Is this normal?

Comment

do you have the bed elevated
                allso the tube could be kinked in his stomach i know i hurt some times normally when there is bubles witch means there is air in the tub make sure you are clamping it propably before you do priming. make sure the temp is set at the highest temp cold hurts allso
                some time being intiment hurts allso so space that out between sex and filling

Comment

I have been on home PD with a cycler for almost 2 years now and have had this issue since the very beginning. I have had all the tests and scans, and even a surgery to try and correct the issue by moving the cath tube. As it turns out the issue is actually the suction and pressure against my omentum as the drain and fill happens. The pain is not there normally during other times. Your omentum can be removed, though I am told not preferred. Also while undergoing this you would have to go back to hemo, also something i am not willing to do. so i suffer through it. Your dr and nurse can work with you to do what is call tidal therpy using the cycler, which provides minimal pain for drains 2 and 3, i have 4 per night.also after the 1st fill the others are not quite as bad. the unfortunate part is that with this "drain pain" which happens ofter enough to have been named, it probably will not go completely away without the omentum surgery. Try the tidal therepy, mine is at 75% which means you have to drain less until the final drain, but also means you have on more untill the final drain, but if you are in the bed, you should be more tolerent to that since you are lying down. also i find that if i hook my bags up and let them warm before 1st fill, it does not hurt quite as bad. other things i have done to help is to stand during drains, and to skip completely the initial drain that your cycler calls for when you 1st hook up. your nurse can assist with that as well, since you carry fluid during the day, not sure if that would work for you. Hang in there regardless, PD is way better than Hemo. Good Luck

Comment

Mab,
                    I have done PD on cycler for about 2 yrs. i have great labs, feel pretty good, work 50 hrs per wk., and have gained 20 lbs. everybody is proboaly a little different with the weight thing. the biggest thing on PD iseat right, take meds correctly, and most of all keep a sterile environment. be adament about that factor and you all will do fine. Best of luck.

Comment

I will be starting PD in a couple of weeks. It seems to be a mixed bag about weight gain , how about the stomach bloat? I was told it would add about 1-2 inches to my girth...?

Comment

I am 22 years old and have been on pd for a year and one month. Absolutely love it more than hemo. You feel free and not tied down. You do get a bigger gut though, almost like a beer belly. But its fine with me, rather have that than be miserable on hemo.

Comment

Have been doing PD since Dec 2012. I am also a traveler. I love the freedom that PD gives me to do what I want and when. This was my choice from the very beginning. My only issue is you have to think about what is your schedule is for the next day so that you get hooked up in enough time to get your 8 hours in so that you can get ready for whatever is on your schedule. Don't schedule anything too early.

Comment

Originally posted by jasevers View Post
                            My only issue is you have to think about what is your schedule is for the next day so that you get hooked up in enough time to get your 8 hours in so that you can get ready for whatever is on your schedule..
                            I'm not yet on dialysis, but my nephrologist told me that I can expect a 10-12 hour PD treatment each night. That's quite a lot, especially for someone who works full-time. What factors affect the number of hours required? I'm wondering if there's anything that I can do to reduce the time needed to dialyze.

Comment

Originally posted by CinPin View Post
                              I'm not yet on dialysis, but my nephrologist told me that I can expect a 10-12 hour PD treatment each night. That's quite a lot, especially for someone who works full-time. What factors affect the number of hours required? I'm wondering if there's anything that I can do to reduce the time needed to dialyze.
                              Use the bag with the least amount of glucose. Then keep a very tight reign on your blood sugar numbers. That is why they want you to increase protein and cut back on carbs when you are doing PD.

Comment

Question what is "lost dwell time". New to PD like it so far.
                                Dwoxford

Comment

Working...
                                X