Home (PD) Diaylsis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home (PD) Diaylsis

We keep getting told that my husband is going to love being on home diaylsis ... are we just getting tolf this ... or is it really worth it?

Re: Home (PD) Diaylsis

hi mab my name is ken i have been on pd for a year and half and i do love this type of dialysis it gives you more freedom its very easy to do an you feel great i did hemo for 3yrs hated it the needles the tiredness after treatments and seem like they would always trying to pull to much fluid off an the cramps were painful best advice i can give you Listen to your nurse take notes during training and your husband will be fine hope everything goes good for you an your husband

Comment

Thanks. We are just starting the process. The nurse is coming Monday to inspect our place. Then getting the port in ... healing ...etc. I -plan on learning as much as possible to help my husband out.
      I will be glad for my husband ... because they also try to draw too much fluid just about everytime.
      Have you gained much wait on PD. I hear that could be a problem ?? But I am thinking that if my husband is feeling better ... he will be able to get out and do more ... which should help keep any extra weight off.

Comment

due to an unexpected emergency start with the big "D"..I currently do in center hemo with a chest cath & can't wait for my pd surgery so I can do my dialyzing at home. I haven't had problems at the center at all but would so much prefer to do pd right in my own home. Currently sidelined from my goal after suffering a heart attack & facing double bypass on Monday at 8am. Always something! Sometimes I just get so weary.
        "a true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths.,feels your fears but forrtifies your faith,sees your anxieties but frees your spirit & recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities"

in center hemo awaiting cath placement for home PD
        Type 2 Diabetic
        Potassium/phosphate & protein restricted
        feeling stronger every day! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Feelinlost View Post
          due to an unexpected emergency start with the big "D"..I currently do in center hemo with a chest cath & can't wait for my pd surgery so I can do my dialyzing at home. I haven't had problems at the center at all but would so much prefer to do pd right in my own home. Currently sidelined from my goal after suffering a heart attack & facing double bypass on Monday at 8am. Always something! Sometimes I just get so weary.
          Feelinlost, As your surgery approaches please know that I'm thinking about you. Let us know how your doing ok?
          May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
          Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Comment

mab no i have not had a problem with weight gain if any is my dr and nurses are always harping about putting on weight when i first started dialysis i weighed 292 pounds now i am weighing between 198 -200 pounds and also fluids cause if you get dehydrated its not fun i als work and exercise and follow the DIET you will see and feel great

Comment

I am new to the group but have been on PD for 3 months. I feel terrific and everyone is amazed at how well I act. The PD fits right in to my schedule and has become second nature. I'v lost five pounds, so weight isn't a problem. Try not to feel overwhelmed by the training; you'll do fine. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by mab View Post
                We keep getting told that my husband is going to love being on home diaylsis ... are we just getting tolf this ... or is it really worth it?
                Hi! My husband and I have been doing Peritoneal at home for about 2 months and feel we are just now getting a "routine" started. A LOT of the success is attributed to attitude. If you approach this as a "managible situation", it will be

We have learned to adjust our eating habits, bigger meals @ noon, types of foods to avoid, etc. We have had great fun in going to DaVita.com and finding recipes we like, making a shopping list and preparing these together.

It is well worth the effort, especially thinking of the alternatives. I have had two MAJOR health issues, this year, breast cancer AND Peritoneal dialysis, so I KNEW I didn't want to sit in a center, like I had to do with Chemo-therapy.

Life is how you cope, and I am fortunate to have a loving husband, who is helping me cope, well.

Hopefully, you have a good support system, which is KEY to making this a more helpful experience.

Continued sucess and healthy attitudes!
                Ritzykitz

Comment

Originally posted by mab View Post
                  Mab,

If you learn as much as you can and educate yourself, it should work out well. Many have problems, especially in center because they are very complacent about their care and leave it in the hands of the nurses/tecks/docs. This is what you do not want to do. You should be involved as much as you can includin gevery decision that is made. Education is key...

Did your husband decide what type of dialysis or was he told what type of dialysis he will be having? His nephrologist should have spoken to him about the different types of dialysis options available and explained the benefits/cons in detail and then your husband should make an educated decision on what is best for him as an individual..

///M3Riddler
                  NxStage - Since April - 06
                  Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Comment

Hi Mab...I've been on PD since October....so far, so good! There have been few bumps in the road,
                    but from everything I have read or heard, this was my best option! Good luck!
                    Ricki

Comment

Hi my name is henry ,i have been pd 2-3mo. A little hard at first but wood not give it now.i can go off and not have to go hava the hemo.when doing hemo all i wanted to do was sleep. Now i am ready to get up and go.

Comment

For those on Peritoneal Dialysis, has your nephrologist ever gone over the long term effects and changes that take place in the peritoneal membrane? One of the changes and effects is something called encapsulating peritoneal sclerosis. Many nephrologists have never heard of this condition let alone know how to treat it. I would be interested in how many of your nephrologists have ever explained this to their patients or even know about it. I was on PD for over 12 years and developed this condition.

Comment

Originally posted by M3Riddler View Post
                          For those on Peritoneal Dialysis, has your nephrologist ever gone over the long term effects and changes that take place in the peritoneal membrane? One of the changes and effects is something called encapsulating peritoneal sclerosis. Many nephrologists have never heard of this condition let alone know how to treat it. I would be interested in how many of your nephrologists have ever explained this to their patients or even know about it. I was on PD for over 12 years and developed this condition.
                          It was never explained to me at all.

A week or two post Tx (still inpatient) the surgeon told that when they cut me open for TX, the peritoneum felt tough and leathery. But luckily it all worked out. Since he said it all worked out, I didn't really ask any more questions. I had no idea and had never heard of EPS.

At discharge my coordinator was going over discharge instructions and she mentioned the surgeon had been very worried about the leathery and tough peritoneum. Once again, nothing more was discussed because it had all worked out.

When I visited my former PD nurses a couple months post TX I mentioned the "tough and leathery situation" One nurse looked at the other one with a worried look and said " Surgeon found peritoneal sclerosis"

I was unaware of how dangerous EPS is/can be, until you and the woman in your group mentioned it.

I do think more Drs and PD nurses should discuss that with the patients or at the very least have it in their PD instructions manual.

Good to see you back!!
                          I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Been on PD for quite a while. It fits right into our life style. We go on cruises (ones that originate in the US) at least once a year. We also travel a lot since the PD unit is portable in it's suitcase. The storing of the boxes is the only obstacle but easily lived around. I follow doctor's orders and always stay up on my education on what is new. While traveling I have come across nurses that are not as knowlegeable and I am and I go with what I know. Sometimes there is discomfort in the fill cycle but not always. Your attitude is the key. Stay upbeat and you will breeze through the dialysis. Good luck and God bless.

Comment

Originally posted by K C 65 View Post
                              hi mab my name is ken i have been on pd for a year and half and i do love this type of dialysis it gives you more freedom its very easy to do an you feel great i did hemo for 3yrs hated it the needles the tiredness after treatments and seem like they would always trying to pull to much fluid off an the cramps were painful best advice i can give you Listen to your nurse take notes during training and your husband will be fine hope everything goes good for you an your husband

KC65,
                              In relation to in-center and home dialysis, I believe in my opinion that Home Dialysis is much easier on the body as well as many factors such as:
                              Being in Control of your treatment
                              Dialyzing on your own schedule
                              Better lab results
                              Feeling better in general
                              Being around your own home anf family
                              Comfort of your own home
                              Better all around outcomes etc....

It is very important that you learn as much as you can as well as ask many questions even if it sounds too simple. No question is a bad question. I have been on dialysis for 20 years now. I have been on all modalities and nothing beats being at home. Education is key and I recommend learning as much as you can not only about dialysis, but what causes your kidney failure. Never be afraid to advocate for yourself. No one cares as much as you as your family and yourself. You have one patient to worry about.... you...... Your medical team has many.... Hope all goes well and please let us know how everything goes....

///M3Riddler

Comment

Working...
                              X