Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Losing cycler set ups because of bad power surges in our town!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zooki
    replied
    When I was looking for a UPS for our NxStage Cycler, I contacted the maker of the UPS and they advised against using it because it produced a step-sine-wave instead of a true sine wave (AC). However, I then contacted NxStage, and they said that didn't matter a bit and said that while they wouldn't recommend any particular brand, that the main considerations were being able to handle the total current load and providing sufficient time with that load.

I purchased one from Sam's Club for about $135 that has more than enough capacity (it shows about 40% load with the Cycler and PureFlo running). It should also give me at least 10 minutes of backup power, which would be enough to stop treatment and do a normal (vice manual) rinseback.

Don't hesitate to contact NxStage if you need more information. I emailed them in the middle of the night and received a telephone call around 7:10 the next morning! They were very helpful.

Also, in regards to a generator, remember that most generators don't come on until AFTER you lose power. They will of course provide more power for a longer period of time, but they won't (usually) keep you from having at least a momentary loss of power--that's the job of the UPS (Uninterruptible Power Source).

Again, I'm not the expert, so please feel free to contact NxStage for more advice.

Leave a comment:

• Gustine
    replied
    The Generac 6000 LP3250 3,750 Watt 212cc OHV Liquid Propane Powered Portable Generator ... affordable too and can handle both the cycler and pureflow together nicely...

Originally posted by moodyc View Post
    I too live in an an area with frequent power outages. We are looking at getting a generator with at least 8000 watts. This is really costly, especially if the vendor doesn't finance. I sure wish Medicare would help pay for it. We are always having to do manual rinsebacks, which gets to be old after a few times. Any suggestions would be helpful on what to do.

Leave a comment:

• moodyc
    replied
    I too live in an an area with frequent power outages. We are looking at getting a generator with at least 8000 watts. This is really costly, especially if the vendor doesn't finance. I sure wish Medicare would help pay for it. We are always having to do manual rinsebacks, which gets to be old after a few times. Any suggestions would be helpful on what to do.

Leave a comment:

• Speedy1wrc
    replied
    It looks like the cycler including the rear power outlet requires 600VA. The plug in UPS's I looked up were on the order of 1500 to 2000 VA, more than enough. NxStage has all sorts of warnings about interference and such so I certainly can't contradict any warnings or cautions.

Shooting from the hip however, I would say they should be fine.

Leave a comment:

• Speedy1wrc
    replied
    A "UPS" is an uninterruptable power supply. Which simply means a power spurce that will not drop out for a certain time if grid power fails. A UPS would be great for you cycler. Do you also have the PureFlo SL?

The only isuue is the size fo the UPS.It needs to have enough capacity to handle the cycler and also PureFlo SL if you have it. I have yet to look at the power consumption, but I am going to venture a guess that the sie of the UPS might be such that it is cost prohibitive.

This peaks my curiosity and I will look up the total cnsumption for each unti and what size UPS would be required. I'll get back to you on this.

Just for reference I recently saw on my local Craigslist a 3 or 4 batteryhome UPS with switch over and panel for around $700. It was either a demo or something of the like.

There are plug in UPS's that start at around $200 which "may" cover the power requirements.

Leave a comment:

• Losing cycler set ups because of bad power surges in our town!

I like to set up my cycler in the morning after treatment, but the town I live in and I guess in my area, we have these 3 to 5 second power outages, which in turn causes me to lose that set up, I hate setting up at night because I am worn out and tired by then. My friend had a thing called an UPS thing on his computer for these power outages and what it does is keeps any machine on for 5 minutes when the electricity goes off . This would solve my problems but I dont know if it is safe to use on the cycler, I know if I call and ask the makers of the machine they are automatically going to say NO, just to protect themselves, so wondering if anybody has this same problem? Thank you for any feedback!
Working...
X