New guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy

Hi, My name is Arnie and I am getting ready to start dialysis. My index is 15. I am trying to decide between manual and night time cycling. I am 68 years old, work from home and other than this am reasonably healthy. I ride motorcycle, do my own lawn etc. My wife and I travel some. I just need ideas on which way to go. Hoping to find a donor for a transplant soon. Thanks for your time, Arnie

Re: New guy

By cycling do you mean PD ? If you do PD at night with a cycler while you sleep it will free up your entire day. I did PD like this for a year and it worked out well for me. I never did travel overnight but there have been people on this forum who have traveled while on PD - you just pack up the machine and have supplies delivered to your destination. I can't speak to doing PD manually 3-4 times a day but some people do prefer to do it that way. It all depends on what works best for your lifestyle and what you feel most comfortable doing.

Good luck with your dialysis and let us know how you are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Binning View Post
      Hi, My name is Arnie and I am getting ready to start dialysis. My index is 15. I am trying to decide between manual and night time cycling. I am 68 years old, work from home and other than this am reasonably healthy. I ride motorcycle, do my own lawn etc. My wife and I travel some. I just need ideas on which way to go. Hoping to find a donor for a transplant soon. Thanks for your time, Arnie
      Hi Russell, When I transition from Hemodialysis to PD, I was trained to do manuals first, before I was offered the choice of whether to continue with manual exchanges or to start the training for the cycler at nite treatment. I do believe you have to start manual first, because it would be wise to learn manuals, as there maybe instances where you may have to do a manual exchange in a emergency, because of problems that could potentially occur with the cycler, such as a troubleshooting problem with the machine, or maybe the weather may not allow you to continue the treatment on the cycler. And of course when you have to be hospitalized, they prefer to do manual exchanges. I really don't know where you are having your treatment, but they usually would like you to have the knowledge and training for manual exchanges.

Glo

Comment

Hey Arnie.

I have been on the cycler since April of 2009. I did the manual exchanges for a month, and it just wasn't for me.

I have found the cycler to be much more conducive to a "normal" lifestyle, and I love being able to forget about it during the day.

Good luck to you!
        Diagnosed Stage 2 CKD (lupus) 1985
        PD March 2009-present
        On Transplant List
        Husband is a match (undecided about that for now)

Comment

I am having the PD cath put in tomorrow morning. I am not afraid of the proceedure, I just can't believe this is finally happening to me. I am sure everyone feels this way, at least I hope it's normal. When I walk thru that door at the surgery center tomorrow my life will be changed forever....I just hope when I start the actual dialysis I will feel better.
          [I]Learning to dance in the rain....

Peritoneal dialysis 1 yr.
          GFR 12
          On Transplant list 2 yrs.
          On hold now for 6 mths. due to heart problem corrected with stents.

Comment

Working...
          X