PD Cath Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD Cath Belt

I am a caretaker for a very new ESRD patient (28 yr. old, told had full failure three months ago after a two week hospital stay). Two weeks ago he had a PD port put in and finds the belt the center gave use highly uncomfortable. Has anyone tried to make their own out of a softer fabric?

This is the first time I have posted to the forum but I have been reading it for support since we got the diagnosis. I really appreciate everyone's insight.

McKenzie

Re: PD Cath Belt

greetings McKenzie311, I tried the belt and found it uncomfortable so I just use the white tape to hold the cath where I want it. works for me :-)
    CAPD (continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis)
    since 7/13/07 with 4 exchanges a day
    kidney function improved after 2 years
    presently at 2 exchanges a day :-)
    diabetic, not on insulin

Comment

Originally posted by McKenzie311 View Post
      I am a caretaker for a very new ESRD patient (28 yr. old, told had full failure three months ago after a two week hospital stay). Two weeks ago he had a PD port put in and finds the belt the center gave use highly uncomfortable. Has anyone tried to make their own out of a softer fabric?

This is the first time I have posted to the forum but I have been reading it for support since we got the diagnosis. I really appreciate everyone's insight.

McKenzie
      I tried the belt many yeas ago, and yes, I too found it uncomfortable, so I have been using the silk white tape, ever since, and it has worked well for the last ten years.

Glo

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to try to attach the pocket section of the belt to an ace bandage. I will let you know how it goes. He has some issues with tape but we will see.

Thanks again!

Comment

Hi all, I posted on this sometime ago. I am bothered by a sensetivity to most adhesives so tape is pretty much not an option. I tried a belt and that was too uncomfortable but what has worked very well for me is very simple. I safety pin a baby sock to my shorts and store the PD catheter in that. Simple to do, simple to use and as comfortable as what you are wearing. works great with jockey shorts PJ's and boxers, prevents accidental catheter tugging and irritation. Doesn't get much better than that.

Comment

I too tried a PD belt, I didn't like it AT ALL.

I've been using "medipore" tape to anchor my cath and also to tape the tip.
            It works for me.
            I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

McKenzie
              I started PD 23 July 2010
              Have been using center provided elastic webbing no seams or catches stays in place. Its like big tube bandage. Down side leaves you with gator skin impressions is this the same stuff your band is made from? I'm going to the local fabrics store to see if a like band can be found only micro weave.

Comment

I was a PD caregiver for five years. Have you looked at the PD Security Band? www.PatientsPride.com If you have private insurance as your primary insurance, you might be able to be reimbursed. You call them with a measuring tape in-hand and go through about a 15 minute measuring process. I've heard it's totally comfortable and it's great for active PD patients!

Comment

McKenzie
                  What works really well for me is I cut off the legs of pantyhose and that is snug enough to hold the PD port tight and if will not move

Comment

I think, it’s a helpful topic. I like this topic. I want know some helpful things from this side. It fresh my mind and experience. So lots of thanks for sharing this information with me.

Comment

thats odd I love my belt.... its a really soft material and cant even tell its there
                      ESRD since 2004 started HEMO In 2004 recently switched to PD in December 2011
                      OPEN HEART SURGERY 2005 and 2010
                      I have 2 mechanical valves
                      GALL BLADDER SURGERY 2010
                      I have been on the transplant list since
                      August 07, 2009

Comment

I know this sounds a little silly but I looked and looked for something for Jarod to use to hold his PD cath. Well, I have 3 kids and gave it some thought. The Belly Band which is a maternity support belt is a piece of simple cloth with some elastic in the edges. It is so soft and he folds it over the cath and it keeps it in place all day. No added tape. The adhesive irritates his skin so bad and he ends up with micro tears. So maybe stop by Target or somewhere like that and look for a maternity support band. Whatever works. :-) Atleast it will be more comfortable for you. Which is all that counts.
                        Boyfriend is patient: Jarod 27yo

Dx: ANCA Vasculitis resulting in Chronic Renal Failure. 6/10/2011
                        2 rounds of Cytoxan therapy
                        Controlled Hypertension, TEE 9/20 that showed a clot on tip of Perm Cath, Hospitilization 9/20 - 9/23 for probable Endocarditis (Has artificial Heart Valve) PD consult 10/4
                        Transplant Surgeon Consult for PD placement 10/6
                        PD Cath placement 11/04
                        Manual PD at home 11/28

Comment

I use cloth tape and tape the tube to my tummy. I hated the belt and tried other things. Tape just works best for me.

Comment

I' m still trying to figure out the best way for me, just bought the belt, but wasn't that comfortable , Since I'm new to all that need to find what's gonna work for me best, so far it has been the tape like "mspiper"... Lets see...

Comment

Bill That is a Very good idea using the panty hose. I have been trying to find the right kind of a belt. Honestly I would like to make my own if i could just find what one looks like. But anyway now i have more time tolook. Thanks again.
                              Penny1960

Comment

Working...
                              X