New and saying hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and saying hello

Hi everyone, I have been diagnosed with Chronic Kidney failure (we I was diagnosed when i was 16 year old with traces of protein in my urine, I am now 40 and in end stage, starting to feel a bit tired now, but staying positive..nervous about the future but i guess we all are!..............

Re: New and saying hello

Heya Nige,

welcome to Davita forums, sorry to hear your kidneys are giving up, but your not alone! I think you can still live more years, its not the end yet. My first dialysis was at age 7, today am about same age as you are. If you have any concern or questions let us know.

Originally posted by Nige View Post
    Hi everyone, I have been diagnosed with Chronic Kidney failure (we I was diagnosed when i was 16 year old with traces of protein in my urine, I am now 40 and in end stage, starting to feel a bit tired now, but staying positive..nervous about the future but i guess we all are!..............
    My Blog Site
    Http://www.dailyhemo.org
    sigpic

Comment

Welcome, Nige! We all understand that tiredness. Learn all you can about your choices, what to expect, etc. and that may relieve some of your nervousness. Become pro-active in your care and in the knowledge to make wise decisions for yourself.

Have you been to www.kidneyschool.org ? You can learn lots there at your own pace. God bless and keep looking FORWARD!
      My Writings

Comment

Welcome Nige, you have come to the right place. I am at Stage 3, pre-dialysis. There are a lot of foks on this forum that are on dialysis that will be able to address your concerns and questions that you may have. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Comment

Welcome! My husband (MM) is pre-dialysis, GFR 10-14. He feels OK most days, takes a lot of nausea medication and gets tired sometimes. And some other not so nice stuff. He is fighting dialysis, wants to get a transplant before he ever has to go on dialysis. Good luck. We have no medical insurance, the hospital wants the money up front before they will list him as acive on the transplant list.

Have you looked into the transplant list yet?

Come back often, it will make you feel better!

Comment

Welcome Nige. Many of us at this site have gone through kidney failure for many years but me I have just been on dialysis for 11 months but my Kidneys were acting up for a few years before and I could just stay well sorta by watching my foods intake and water intake like don't drink toomuch water if you want to stay away from too much water in your system that the kidneys can't get rid of. that will pose an interesting problem,
            Monday I went to the ER because my Graft had clotted and my blood test showed my Creatinine at 8.5 and my GFR at 6 And so the dialysis is what is keeping me alive and the Potassium and Phosphorus binders if keeping the Pottasium and phosphorus levels in check. I don't know if they have given you a renal diet to follow. Check for a renal diet.
            Malibu. here I am griping because Medicare is slow and I am having to pay for some of the drugs now. the binders and the blood thinner so sorry about what you are going through.

Comment

thanks everyone for saying hello, I am sure that all of you will be bale to offer me adice and support,

Yes i am on the transplnat list here in the UK, they put ypu on the list when your gfr reaches 15, of course you dont know how long that it will be if at all but i am on the list,

as far as diet goes I am watching fluid intake is important but i am managing ok, and food i must avoidcertain foods and watch my saturated fat intake.

I have been told i have high antibodies in my blood that may prevent a future transplant, but they want to 'wash my blood' anyone had thsi done.

good luck everyone

Nige

Comment

Nige,

I'm just going to jump in and also offer you a 'WELCOME" to our group! Yes, a kidney disease diagnosis is scary but we've all been through it and are more than willing to help you any way we can. Once you accept the diagnosis you begin the learning process and by doing that you can help chase away some of the future fears. As suggested, kidneyschool.org is a magnificient learning tool and if I might suggest, as well as here check out some of the dialysis support sites. Many people, much useful info.

Again, welcome!
                "Within every adversity lies a slumbering possibility"
                Linda
                Tx: 7/28/2005
                St. Louis University Hospital

Comment

Hello Nige,

I understand your plight about beginning a dialysis treatment, well I have been living on dialysis for over nineteen and half years. But I have to be honest with you I have had my share of ups and downs where the graft is concerned. When I began dialysis I wasn't given a choice, back then they just arranged for you to start hemo, but today you have a choice, and to be honest with you after ten years of hemo, and all the numerous grafts and repairs, I was a little upset that I had to stop hemo, in which I became very comfortable with, and accepted it as a part of my life, but like I was about to say when I got a little off the subject, I thank God that there was another dialysis treatment in existence (PD). Well what I am trying to stress to you, is that if you in the beginning decide to choose hemo, and you have to have a graft, because like me, you may not be a good candidate for a fistula, if you begin to have problems with clotting from your access site, then don't do like me and have numerous grafts, because you will surely regret it, because I was so advocate about not going on PD, I endured more than I needed to. Today because of that decision I made to have numerous grafts and repairs, being on PD, I am such a difficult stick, it is very hard to draw blood from me and it also is a quite trying to get an IV on me. Because of all the sticking from hemo, I have the worst veins going, they weren't very big to begin with, and they like to hide and roll when they detect a needle in their pathway (Laugh) I do have a lot more history to share, but it is too much to go into on this thread. So if you are interested earlier this year I self-published a book about my life living and coping with the polycystic kidney disease and dialysis, I very much understand this very complex renal diet that we truly need to follow, also I invite readers into my renal friendly kitchen to check out some of my recipes and also get some renal friendly cooking tips. It's available online at xlibris.com, the bookstore, search (right sidebar) - my title - My Renal Life, by Gloria Ann Jeff-Moore, you will get an image of the front cover, along with a brief description of the book, as well as an excerpt with more details and my author bio.

Remember check it out online at Xlibris.com (bookstore) - My Renal Life

In the Meantime Nige,

I always say don't let the disease control you, you control the disease, by following a proper renal diet and taking your prescribed medication.

Best Regards,

Glo

Comment

Hi everybody. I'm new to the site but not new to CKD; I was diagnosed with glumerolunephritis in 2005, at which time my kidney function was about 20%. At last test it was 11%. I'm a 62- year-old woman.

I love meat and low protein is very difficult even on a good day. I mean what restaurants become popular because they make good vegetables! It's the meat that does it!

I'm going through a kidney transplant evaluation, and so far my doc says it looks like I qualify. I'm having a hard time accepting that someone else's organ will be in my body. Also, my 30-year-old one-and-only daughter wants to be a live donor for me. I'm more afraid for her than I am for myself.

But at the end of the day, I'm glad it's not cancer or a heart condition. This I can do... and you can, too.

Comment

Originally posted by flowergirl View Post
                      Hi everybody. I'm new to the site but not new to CKD; I was diagnosed with glumerolunephritis in 2005, at which time my kidney function was about 20%. At last test it was 11%. I'm a 62- year-old woman.

I love meat and low protein is very difficult even on a good day. I mean what restaurants become popular because they make good vegetables! It's the meat that does it!

I'm going through a kidney transplant evaluation, and so far my doc says it looks like I qualify. I'm having a hard time accepting that someone else's organ will be in my body. Also, my 30-year-old one-and-only daughter wants to be a live donor for me. I'm more afraid for her than I am for myself.

But at the end of the day, I'm glad it's not cancer or a heart condition. This I can do... and you can, too.
                      Hi Flowergirl,

Welcome to the group.

You mentioned your GFR is 11, does your Dr plan on starting you on dialysis soon?? I would recommend you asking about it next time you see him/her. It's not a good idea to go too much lower than 11% because that's when you start feeling really sick and much more fatigued. Plus once on dialysis you have a better chance of maintaining whatever residual kidney function you still have.
                      I started dialysis at 13-15% and never felt sick AT ALL. I've been doing PD for 5.4yrs and still have 7% residual kidney function left.

As far as the low protein diet, that will change once you start dialysis. I loved the low protein diet pre-dialysis (I'm not much of a meat eater). Once on dialysis they put you on a high protein diet. (Oh i've had a hard time with that, LOL) The reason for the high protein diet is because alot of protein is lost/removed with dialysis.

Does CKD run in the family (besides you of course), or what caused it?
                      Your daughter might be a great candidate to donate if she's healthy and no chance of having CKD in the future.
                      SHe can always get evaluated and see if she's a candidate.

Once again, welcome and keep us posted!!

take care!!

Marina
                      I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Originally posted by unwitly09 View Post
                        Hi there, Im new here and just saying hello to everybody Im currently reading all the great info in here for newbies and am looking forward to getting started.
                        Hmm... looked at your profile and I must ask, are you really human?
                        Angie
                        Kidney KornerDialysis Ethics Forum Kidney PixAwareness Shirts KidneySpace Donor Search
                        I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011
                        • Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
                        • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
                        • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Comment

Working...
                        X