Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long to have fisula after vain mapping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loganwon
    replied
    Stumpr54 - may I ask, what is an infiltration? I should ask how do you know when it has occurred. I take it that it is not a good thing. The surgery on my fistula moved it into my upper right arm on the inside near my chest, so I think it would be hard to do a cannulation on myself.

Leave a comment:

• stumpr54
    replied
    The average time to maturity (capable of use for hemodialysis) of an arteriovenous fistula is 3 months. As Loganwon and kcramer have noted, there can be a great deal of individual variation in that time frame.

I was fortunate to have my fistula placed some 9 months before beginning HHD training and the start of hemodialysis. I've got very prominent and large forearm vessels, which made the vascular surgeon's job a breeze. The fistula matured and appeared to be ideal for hemodialysis.

During the first two weeks of HHD training, I experienced 9 infiltrations in 14 needle (17 gage) sticks. My HHD team realized something was wrong, and they immediately referred me for a fistulogram. During that procedure, the surgeon found an 80% stenosis (narrowing) at the anastomosis (joining of the vein to the artery). The stenosis was ballooned and the rather unexpected result was the dead heading of the original fistula about 3" toward the elbow and away from the wrist joint anastomosis, and the development of two other vessels.

Remarkably the skilled cannulators in my HHD team, who had tried and failed consistently to cannulate the original fistula without infiltration, were able to successfully cannulate what was left of the original fistula and one of the new vessels, merely only a day after the fistulogram! Yes, in theory, that new vessel should not have been able to be used for dialysis, let alone be successfully cannulated for months.

HHD training and treatments progressed with these two sites to the point of using 15 gage sharps to develop my first set of button holes, which I then treated with for 7 months before developing my first button hole a week or so before I was unable to cannulate the original venous button hole because the vessel's development caused it to shift from the original button hole tract. I've since developed 10 different buttonhole sites, with 5 in current use, on my three vessel right forearm fistula. It's been an adventure.

Leave a comment:

• Loganwon
    replied
    Originally posted by marxparz View Post
    I have been waiting to have fisula put in for over a month since having my vain mapped. I was told it takes two months to heal before it can be used. I don't think I have that much time. My kidney function was at 15% then l am beganning to think that they're just going to let me go. Called my Doctor's office, Dr. Willam Lee and his receptionist said they would tell me at my next appointment on December 24th. That seems to be a long time. Maybe I'm just anxious. Or I don't want to die.
    Don't count on a 2 month period for your fistula to mature, I have had mine for several months and it is still not ready to use. When it was first put in it ruptured and had to be placed deeper, then it had to be moved closer to the surface later, it took 3 operations to get it right. Some people's fistula doesn't mature for 6 months and some do so in 3 months. Don't worry they won't let you die of kidney failure, it takes about 2 -3 weeks if your kidneys stopped completely before you would die from uremia.

Leave a comment:

• kcramer
    replied
    You are anxious. It took about 6 months for my numbers to drop from 15 to 10 % when I was put on. The reason was each months blood work was different. I was 15, then 18 then 14 then 15 again. I was anxious until I realized It all depends on the person like my doctor kept telling me. You could go down even to 8 or 9 % and still be ok. It also depends on other factors as well. How is your eating? Are you throwing up a lot? Are you limited to only a few foods without itching or getting sick? What is your blood count? (that was the main reason for putting me on dialysis) The percentage is only one factor in deciding. Relax a little and keep drinking a lot of water because after you start you are limited.

Leave a comment:

• Loganwon
    replied
    If you need dialysis right away they will put in a Perm catheter. It is usually put in on the right side of your chest. The Drs can do dialysis right after they put in the perm cath.

Leave a comment:

• dac0214
    replied
    Yes, you are just anxious.

Leave a comment:

• marxparz
    started a topic How long to have fisula after vain mapping?

How long to have fisula after vain mapping?

I have been waiting to have fisula put in for over a month since having my vain mapped. I was told it takes two months to heal before it can be used. I don't think I have that much time. My kidney function was at 15% then l am beganning to think that they're just going to let me go. Called my Doctor's office, Dr. Willam Lee and his receptionist said they would tell me at my next appointment on December 24th. That seems to be a long time. Maybe I'm just anxious. Or I don't want to die.
Working...
X