My Options-- PD vs. HH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Options-- PD vs. HH?

Not sure where to begin. I've had IGA Nephropathy for years. Creatinine was relatively under control, then all of a sudden it shot up to 8.0, so now my Nephrologist is talking about dialysis. Wish I knew why it was rising, but it is what it is. I have some of the symptoms, but appetite is still there and I feel generally fine. Went over my options today, it seems it's fistula (in centers 3x a week or home) vs. PD catheter for night. I have a 9-5 job and lead a pretty busy lifestyle so they recommended PD but I'm not crazy about catheters due to infections-- I really do enjoy the beach. I'm also a musician so am wondering if any of this would affect my playing (i.e., fistula on arm that holds an instrument). I know lots will change, but wondering if anyone can provide advice who's actually been on it-- the doctors and nurses are very helpful, but I'm trying to seek out primary sources. Thanks!

I was told that you can swim in a pool and salt water with either but with PD you will have to use a covering over the site to keep clean and
    protected from infections. No hot tubs. No tubs but showers are ok. I have asked a lot of questions and will be making my choice by this April.
    Not sure which I will do yet. kidneyschool.org is good about explaining these things too. Hope this helps. I do water walking at the local Y under Medicare prevention through insurance. I love it and it is the only exercise I can do without getting out of breath or feeling side affects.

Comment

I am not on PD but my girlfriend is and she loves it and feels pretty good. On PD you have more food choices. I can speak to if the tube will be bothersome as you are a musician, I recently got a gastric feeding tube (not by choice) and I don;t feel it like I thought I would. The placement is awkward it a couple of inches under my left breast. Sometimes before I knew better I would put on a sports bra and I would get extremely sore, but it gave me an excuse to go bra-less.

The information that Kcramer gave you about kidneyschool.org is a necessary read it will equip you with a lot information to help you take charge of your health and be able to discuss better with yoor doctors. Good luck on your choice and god bless you.

Bonnie

Diagnosis with Stage 4, GFR 16%
      Glomeruliosclerosis
      Non diabete, normal BP
      November 2007

Today and tomorrow I am blessed by
      God and His Angels

Comment

Working...
      X