Nocturnal Dialysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nocturnal Dialysis

I am a dialysis patient. 28 year old man that recently moved to Cleveland, OH. I want to work but my dialysis schedule disqualifies me from just about every job I apply for. I hear that nocturnal dialysis is a good way to go, but here's my question. Would I have to stay on the machine the whole night through? Or could I go for my regularly scheduled time?

Originally posted by Dsasser View Post
    I am a dialysis patient. 28 year old man that recently moved to Cleveland, OH. I want to work but my dialysis schedule disqualifies me from just about every job I apply for. I hear that nocturnal dialysis is a good way to go, but here's my question. Would I have to stay on the machine the whole night through? Or could I go for my regularly scheduled time?
    Dsasser,

Nocutrnal is just referring to night time. It all depends on if you are dialyzing at home or in a center. If you are in a center, then you will be bound by their hours and schedule. If you are dialyzing at home, then I dont see any reason without knowing specifics why you cannot dialyze on your own schedule. the main thing is the number of hours. The longer you dialyze, the better outcomes you will have with removal of middle - larger molecules such as phosphorus and Beta2 Microglobulins which can lead to amyloidosis.
    Not sure where you are from, but if you are in the United States, you should look into home hemo. Not only will you be at the comfort of your own home, but also on your own schedule.
    You can also do "extended" dialysis which is pretty much the same as nocturnal, but sometimes done during the day. Its your choice. But remember, longer, frequent dialysis is always beter than the in center 3x per week 3-4 hours per treatment ( 9-12 hours per weekk). Remember, your kidneys work 24/7. Dialysis will not provide you anything near what your kidneys do, thus why longer, frequent treatments are much better for you healthwise.

Hope this helps..
    NxStage - Since April - 06
    Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Comment

Working...
    X