New -need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New -need help

My dialysis center does not use Heprin anymore...new company decision...i used to have to get this at each dialysis so i would not clot...now i am back to clotting up each session. i am fairly new to dialysis, just since march. Any help on what to do here? i can not change locations and doctors all from center.

Thanks

Re: New -need help

I'm sorry to hear this. The new bundling program sure made things very difficult.

Do you have a regular nephrologist who can prescribe it for you. If they have a drs prescription they can't deny you the Heparin.

I hope this gets resolved soon!!
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

I guess that I am lucky to be in the area I am in, everyone at my Center gets Heparin. We even have what is called the "five minute rule", which is were a person MUST get their Heparin at least 5 minutes before a treatment. The amount is prescribed by my neph. I used to clot the Dialysis machine's a a regular basis and that is not fun to go through. I would sure be talking to your Doctor and get it prescribed, as the previous person stated, it is your right to get the medication you need. Hope it works out for you.

Bill

Comment

sorry for that. I'm a dialysis nurse for davita but we still give heparin. Both marina and wswamm have good points. Dr.'s order will relieve that issue with no questions asked. Also what access do you currently have? Catheter or fistula? CVCs (catheters) will tend to clot off way easier than accesses in the arms. To put it plainly, CVCs suck any way you look at it. The 5min rule for heparin is per our protocal. That should be done by everyone who is on heparin. That's really good that you know that wswamm

Comment

Ask your doc first..but try a low dose of Aspirin (80mg) each day. (I am a dialysis client but also a retired nurse and have been doing dialysis since 1972..I do know some tricks! :-)

Comment

HI Shannonhowell;

I would talk to your Nephrologist. Have him / her perscribe it for you. If it's what the doctor ordered, then they should be following his / her direction. If they are not following your doctors orders, then it would make me question what else are they NOT FOLLOWING that they are suppose to be doing.

Always remember, that it is YOUR BODY, and that they work for you. I have had several incidents at a center, and had to put my foot down. My Technician was doing what she thought was best for me, and she was probablly right at her decision and the best thing for my treatment, but it was NOT what I wanted at the time, and NOT what I told her I wanted. I had to raise my voice and get they head nurse involved, which she didn't like, but hey, I TOLD YOU WHAT I WANTED.

Good luck.
            AV Fistula - Upper Left Arm - 09/09
            Fistula Gram 01/10
            Start Dialysis 05/10
            Fistula Gram 07/10

Comment

I was very happy to see your post about receiving dialysis since 1972, I was recently diagnosed with CKD. Found out accidently after going to LIFE LINE SCREENING. I had gone every year for a physical, but my doctor apparently was not very through (sp). I am going to a different doctor now. MY number went down 8 points in 3 months. From 54 to 46, my doctor says it is hardening of the arteries. I am 72 years old, 5'7' 143 pds, low blood pressure and cholestrol. I was wondering about dialysis and how long a person can have it, because it looks like I may be going that way.,

THANK YOU!

Connie

Comment

Originally posted by Bunnygrams View Post
                My dialysis center does not use Heprin anymore...new company decision...i used to have to get this at each dialysis so i would not clot...now i am back to clotting up each session. i am fairly new to dialysis, just since march. Any help on what to do here? i can not change locations and doctors all from center.

Thanks
                Bunnygrams
                Do you know or have you asked why they stopped using heparin. This seems odd to me as if you are on hemo, you can clot easily. Did they switch to another drug? I would speak with your nephrologist as he can medically justify putting you back on it. Are you with DaVita? I just cant see not using heparin with hemo unless you are not on for very long treatments.
                Do they do saline flushes during the treatment?
                NxStage - Since April - 06
                Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Comment

It does seem strange that they don't use heparin. It seems to be one of the first things they do at davita, for which I am really glad, especially since my husband had a stroke and is on coumadin. I would definitely ask your neph about this as well as whoever is in charge of the facility. Hope all works out okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunnygrams View Post

Thanks
                    What do they use instead of heparin? Is it a DaVita Center? Your nephrologist can write for heparin and they must provide it for you. Have you discussed this with the nephrologist?
                    NxStage - Since April - 06
                    Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Comment

hello my father n law was just diagnosed with stage 4 kidney failure he also has lung and prostate cancer the dr told him even if you do dialysis you probably wont live a couple of weeks to months so my father n law doesnt know if he should at least try it or just live what time he has left to the fullest please give me some advised

Comment

Working...
                      X