Heavy arms and legs feeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy arms and legs feeling

i have the feeling that my arms and legs are very heavy-like i have hulk hogan's arms-its kinda like the feeling when you workout and or run and your legs and arms feel like rubber. I can barely lift them. I read that it may be fluid retention-is this true? I am already on a diuretic --CKD 3. My feet still swell.......quickly when on them.
    CKD-Stage 3 - non-diabetic - no high blood pressure- hypoparathyroidism)take large amounts of calcium and it damages kidneys) and hypothyroid

Re: Heavy arms and legs feeling

You sound uncomfortable to say the least! Your swelling feet tell me that you have fluid retention. Are you being treated for it with a dieuretic and severely limiting your sodium to treat that?
    Diagnosed FSGS 1998
    Related Transplant 2004
    Unrelated Transplant 2009

Comment

I have heard a certain cholesterol med can have this effect, too. I am sorry I cannot remember the particular one.

Comment

i dont have ckd due to diabetes or high blood pressure-i have hypoparathyroidism and have to take large amounts of calcium which harms the kidneys. I am on a diuretic and still have swelling - - swelling was worse before it. I am not on cholesterol meds.
        CKD-Stage 3 - non-diabetic - no high blood pressure- hypoparathyroidism)take large amounts of calcium and it damages kidneys) and hypothyroid

Comment

Originally posted by shelby-kay View Post
          i have the feeling that my arms and legs are very heavy-like i have hulk hogan's arms-its kinda like the feeling when you workout and or run and your legs and arms feel like rubber. I can barely lift them. I read that it may be fluid retention-is this true? I am already on a diuretic --CKD 3. My feet still swell.......quickly when on them.
          Shelby,
          How often do you feel the heavy arms and legs?? how often do you check B/P ?

When I'm retaining water, I do feel heaviness in my legs.

But the heaviness on the arms and having trouble lifting arms, I only get when my B/P is low. It's a struggle to brush my hair. I have to take breaks while brushing and/or blowdrying my hair. (I have short hair)

If you have alot of swelling, try cutting down on sodium. Don't forget sodium is most prepackaged foods. The more processed they are the more sodium. Yes even if they don't taste salty.

take care!

Marina
          I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Over a year ago I used to have a heaviess in my arms to the point of feeling a buzzing sensation. At that time I had no clue I had CKD either; had not been diagnosed with it, and yet I've had it for several years now at stage 4!! The heaviness feeling was a creepy feeling for sure. Changing my diet, lowering my protein and sodium intake, losing the 50 lbs all has helped the situation. I've not had buzzing for 14 months now. Praise the Lord!!
            Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease, 17% renal function, 11 years
            *Non diabetic *Non dialysis
            High Blood Pressure, controlled

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."
            ~Corrie ten Boom

Comment

Everyday now for at least 2 or 3 three its just getting worse and does not go away. My blood pressure is always low since i am hypothyroid and on the diuretic. But what you explained is exactly how i feel. I dont have that much salt-i cook alot from scratch -i do not have prepackaged food often-like if i buy can green beans-i get things that are sodium free. It just makes me wonder if my kidneys are doing worse-since i am retaining fluid like this-and my feet swell up so fast now.

Comment

Shelby,

talk to the dr who gave you the diuretic, the meds might need to be adjusted.

My aunt was having the same problems while on a diuretic, she was to the point of not wanting to take it anymore.
                She explained her symptoms to the dr and the meds were adjusted to a drug and dose she could tolerate. No problems since then.
                I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Hummmm. come to think of it, girls, I was on a diuretic at the time and was taken off when I was diagnosed August '09.. My GP is the one who immediately said the diuretic might be the cause for my kidney function loss; although nephrologist didn't think so. Any hoo --- no more heaviness in the limbs.
                  Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease, 17% renal function, 11 years
                  *Non diabetic *Non dialysis
                  High Blood Pressure, controlled

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."
                  ~Corrie ten Boom

Comment

Originally posted by I Am Blessed View Post
                    Hummmm. come to think of it, girls, I was on a diuretic at the time and was taken off when I was diagnosed August '09.. My GP is the one who immediately said the diuretic might be the cause for my kidney function loss; although nephrologist didn't think so. Any hoo --- no more heaviness in the limbs.
                    It is true that diuretics cause more kidney damaged. I had read about it in literature, and it was confirmed by neph. But some people have no other choice. If they don't use diuretics........they retain fluid......if they retain fluid....B/P will be high...... high B/P damages the kidneys. It's a vicious circle.
                    That's why it's good to reduce sodium to a minumum to see if that's causing the fluid retention.

Comment

exactly-I was going to say the same thing. Sometimes its like a catch-22 if you do not take it your kidneys are harmed-but taking it your kidneys are harmed as well. I will talk to my doc about it-thx so much-Give "the hulk" his arms back - - lol

Comment

Shelby,

I hope are feeling better now

I have had the same trouble for the past several months now.

Two weeks ago, my neph took me off Crestor (a Statin to lower cholesterol) to see wether it was med that is causing the heaviness and bone/muscle pain.

Now, two weeks later, no change, muscles and long bones still ache and the heaviness prevails. No swelling or edema yet...since I am stage three and have significantly cut down sodium to almost zero.

Since my PTH has always been chronically high but, stable.... they will be doing a bone mineral check to figure out the bone pain.

Any guesses as to what maybe causing this?

Could it be vitaD deficiency etc? eventhough last bloodwork had VitD and Ca in the normal range.

Cheers

Comment

Samcanbe,

How's your hemoglobin?

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
                            Samcanbe,

How's your hemoglobin?
                            At the last check, two weeks ago, it turned out normal

So, now they are sending me for a Bone mineral density test and a wholebody bone scan to look for possible inflammation. I am kinda scared

Sam

Comment

Update:

HydroxyVitamin D (25-OH Vit D) is quite low and high PTH levels.

Doctor called to inform that this might be osteomalacia. "Soft bones" leading to bone and muscle pain along with increased sensitivity.

I am waiting to hear back from the bone scan technician... but if it is indeed Osteomalacia, I am expecting abnormal results. This all will be verified again with a bone density test next week.

SO, now I am asked to take OTC Vit D pills.

Sam

PS: hope everyone else is doing well these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X