No announcement yet.

New here have some questions?? HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does one do if you can not take anesthesia and need a fistula? Can it be done with locals? I doubt that they would want to put me under due to my heart. I don't know why but I've worried about that--though I know I'm not supposed to worry.
    My Writings

Comment

fistula op

when I had mine done only had a local inkection was fine, no pia what so ever ebe after the operation. Only need a general if its more involed op for some reason.
      Audrey
      Kidney problems starrted 1980's when I had Saracoidosis
      Recenty started HD at my local renal u Init in Telford.Still having a few problems with my 2nd line.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassie View Post
        What does one do if you can not take anesthesia and need a fistula? Can it be done with locals? I doubt that they would want to put me under due to my heart. I don't know why but I've worried about that--though I know I'm not supposed to worry.

Be honest and upfront with the surgeon. Tell them about your heart. Local anestesia is most definately used. To help alleviate anxiety, a slight general anestesia is often used. Tell the surgeon you feel anxious about the surgery. Ask him to bill your insurance for his time and not for the procedure. I believe he will understand you are trying to get him to take his time with it and not rush thru. Ask about your platelettes. Those are the little things in the blood that causes blood to clot. If yours is high, then you may need to go on a blood thinner for awhile until the fistula matures. Since you stated you have a heart issue, I would imagine you are already on a blood thinner and added thinner would not be recommended.
        Although this forum is a GREAT place to get answers, it is NOT a substitute for communication with your doctor, nephrologist or surgeon. Your first place for answers should be with those you are immediately dealing with. For those 'little issues' that arrises at times, the forums are adequate but the doctors should know every issue you are having to deal with. The more information they have, the better they can diagnose your particular situation. Cheers.

|_arry

Comment

I agree with Larry. Talk to your drs. Locals with light sedation are used a lot for fistula surgeries. Just talk to your anesthesiologist. At my hospital when you go for pre-op blood work you have the option to talk to an anesthesiologist directly. If you are offered that opportunity, take it. If not, ask for it.
          To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

Working...
          X