Improper conduct of a tech, nurse, charge nurse or doctor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improper conduct of a tech, nurse, charge nurse or doctor

I recently had an episode with a charge nurse at Davita that has gotten ME (the victim) in allot of hot water. I made a verbal complaint to a charge nurse who took offense by my reaction to her decision making process and its possible fatal outcome to me as a patient. Her excuse was that she simply forgot to do something that could have had consequences to my health, well being and my life itself. It upset me and I felt I should vocalize my dissention of the conduct that I was being given by a paid professional. By me doing so as a protection to my well-being, the charge nurse has made complaint about me. The social worker (which is in actuality a paid davita employee) seemed more concerned over the nurses feeling over my concern about a bad decision she had made that could have been negative to my health concern. My question to others are:

(1) Have you experienced unprofessional care/attitude from Davita (or any other dialysis center) employees?
    (2) In the attempt to distract from the real cause(s), were you treated less like the victim and more like 'just someone trying to make things difficult'?
    (3) With no real spokesperson to speak in your behalf (since a Davita employee will be apt to cover for another employee), what type of effective measures can patients take besides voiceing their own dissent of mistreatment or malpractice?

Let me add further, that the 'social worker' (again, a paid employee of davita) said that since this procedure I have to experience is both necessary to maintaining my life AND very expensive, that I was the boss of what happened to me there. If that is the case, then why was I even approached and questioned about my trying to handle it? Would it benefit anyone other than Davita had I just ignored it, died, and nobody been the wiser about it or would the nurse not benefit that I point out the flaw in her decision making process so it wouldnt put others in 'harms way'?

|_arry

Unfortunately, we are humans and so are the people who work at Davita. If the mistake was because of carelessness, her supervisor needs to be told. If you have never made a mistake in your life, congratulations. Just what did she do wrong? What happened because of it. Perhaps you should have talked with her supervisor and not confronted her directly.

Comment

Care Givers In Mn

MY HUSBANDS KIDNEYS DIES IN JAN ALL THIS IS VERY NEW TO US AND WHEN I ASK QUESTIONS SO I CAN UNDERSTAND THEY IGNORE ME. IF I GET MAD AND UPSET WITH THEM THEN THEY ANSWER MY QUESTIONS. MY HUSBAND IS HARD OF HEARING AND DOES NOT UNDERSTAND HALF OF WHAT IS BEING SAID AND WHAT HE HEARS HE DOES NOT REMEBER SO ITS UP TO ME TO FIND OUT. WHY MUST I GETY MAD FIRST? WHY CAN'T THEY JUST ANSWER THE QUESTIONS? aLSO AT THE ONE I TAKE HIM TO DOES NOT GIVE OUT ANY OF THIS LITATURE I GOT IT FROM A FREIND IN ANOTHER STATE BUT IT IS THE SAME COMPANY DOESN'T THAT MAKE A LOT OF SENSE. MY HUSBAND IS ALSO A DIABETIC AND THEY KEEP TELLING ME THINGS TO GIVE HIM THAT RUNS HIS SUGARS UP. HE RECENTLY DEVELOPED CELUCITS IN BOTH LEGS , SAYS IT FEELS LIKE A BLOW TORCH IS BEING HELD ON THEM OUCH! ANY WAY LAST WEEK HE HAD A HALF HOUR LEFT TO GO ON HIS FOUR HOURS SAID HE COULD NOT HANDLE THE PAIN ANY MORE AND TO PLEASE TAKE HIM OFF THE MACHINE THEY REFUSED HE ASKED THEM THREE TIMES AND THEY STILL DIDNOT TAKE HIM OFF. SO HOW DO I HANDLE ALL THESE PROBLES?

Comment

Does he have a medical power of attorney or advanced directive allowing you access to his medical information? So many people sue these days the medical profession is reluctant to give information without these in place. There should be a social worker at your husband's center. Discuss your concerns with her and see what help she can get you. Without his permission in writing for you to get his medical info, you won't get a lot.

Comment

Otherwise, please look around this site. You will find a lot of information there about kidney disease with and without diabetes. Are the workers at the dialysis site not answering your questions, or do they not know the answers. Maybe you need to talk to your husband's nephrologist. It also sounds like you need to get a consultation with a renal dietitian. If your husband is at a DaVita site, there should be one there. If not, ask his nephrologist for a referral, but make sure the person is a renal dietitian. Regular dietitians often are unfamiliar with the complexities of our diet, especially as it regards diabetics. It sounds like you are very frustrated (the all caps post) and I hope you can get some help soon. There are lots of very supportive people on this site. You might also want to check out the American Association of Kidney Patients at www.aakp.org. The dues are not high and they send out lots of information.
          To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

Originally posted by StansWife View Post
            Does he have a medical power of attorney or advanced directive allowing you access to his medical information? So many people sue these days the medical profession is reluctant to give information without these in place. There should be a social worker at your husband's center. Discuss your concerns with her and see what help she can get you. Without his permission in writing for you to get his medical info, you won't get a lot.
            yes i am his medical power of attorney im not looking to sue im just looking to do the best for my husband

Comment

A medical power of attorney is not just to sue somone. It also allows you to have access to his medical records and a say in his treatment. Because of the privacy laws, even a family member will not be given info without an advanced directive and medical power of attorney. What I was suggesting is the center may not want to give you information because of this. If you have it, you can show it to them and they have to give you his medical records.

Comment

My husband and I live an hour away from his center and we have to travel with the gas prices and the economy being the way it is.He had informed his tech that he might not make it on Wednesday because we were coming up short his tech took it upon herself and loaned him some money $100. Wait a second here I find that really unprofessional.I realize that missing dialysis and the effects it has but " If you go to your Dr. Office and he tells to be back on such such day and you inform the nurse you couldn't make it in because of this .She decides to loan you $100 " Helping someone is the best gift but from your tech? any thoughts?

Comment

God's blessings are not to be questioned where they come from even if you may have to pay it back. There are people in our church who would do that so I know this tech has a good heart.

Comment

Tell me something- have you been told when you first started dialysis at your center to wear old clothes in case bleach got spilled on you? I have had bleach spilled on many pairs of capris, as well as a number of blouses. When I spoke to my clinical manager, she told me that " should wear my old clothes to dialysis", but I haven't noticed anyone else wearing their old clothes. I think this is a purposeful act on the technician's behalf. When I asked to receive compensation from Davita, I was told that Davita doesn't do that, and I think that is totally wrong. Davita has enough money to compensate someone when their clothes are ruined! As I have spoken to the clinical manager, I need to find out who is above her in the Davita corporation.

Comment

I don't see it very often but I have seen spills on clothes. Blood or Bleach. I try to always go home and change out of my work clothes and into old clothes like a t-shirt and shorts. The spills I have seen are accidental but I am aware they happen and try to dress for the occasion. With all the waivers we sign when we start treatments I would be surprised if one of them did not limit liability for ruined clothes.

Comment

Is this a complant or praise ? Because truly this tech is a blessing ; and should be applauded for thier caring generousity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I think there should be severe punishment for that nurse to warn and intimidate others. wordle getting over it

Comment

Working...
                          X