Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme weakness 8 weeks in..

Hello,
    My 79yr. old father started dialysis 8 weeks ago, started out good but now he is so weak he can hardly walk anymore:. Cant seem to get answer from anyone. They say all his numbers are good and everything else checks out heart, lungs ect. They told us he will get his strength back ??? So, is this normal?
    Thank you for any comments
    Denise

This could be pretty typical. Dialysis, along with being benficial by removing pollutants and toxins from the blood, also removes fluid and has an impact on all the other systems. Even the fact that the toxins are no longer present may effect his energy levels. His body could be shocked at the change.

I find myself feeling extremely weak after treatment. I really appreciate those who can rebound after treatment and go about their lives relatively unchanged. No me! I have to rest for several hours after treatment. I'm also in pretty rough shape the next day as my blood pressure and fluid volume rebound.

it could be they are trying to remove too much fluid in too short a period. Talk to the doc or nurse about the treatment time. In these first months, they are getting all the parameters worked out. Give them feedback about this sort of thing so they can adjust time and amounts appropriately. It's also possible they are taking too much fluid off and the "dry weight" needs to be adjusted (probably increased). Talk to them about how much fluid he should consume between treatments.

You and dad are in the first couple months and that's the most difficult period, The learning curve is HUGE. Keep asking questions. There's much to learn. I have a blog where write about dialysis. It may be of help. www.devonTexas.wordpress.com

This week, in fact, I wrote about "New Patient Orientation". You can probably relate to that. I have several postings that may interest you.

And thank you for helping your Dad. I'm sure he appreciates it.

Devon
    Fistula - March 2008
    Began Dialysis - August 2008
    Fistula Revision - Feb 2011

Dialysis Patient Citizens, Patient Ambassador
    NW14 ESRD Network, Patient Advisory Committee Member
    CDC Infections Control Discussion Panel Member
    National Kidney Foundation Peer-to-Peer Mentor

Blog: www.DevonTexas.com

Comment

Hello Denise,

I am 73 and have been on dialysis of some form since jan. 2012 am now on PD and doing well. 8 weeks is really a short period of time I have just in the last month got to feeling even close to my old self, so as long as he has good labs and is not loseing weight and is eating good I think you are expecting to much to soon. My trip with this desease has been much easier then Devon's and I thank him and pray for him for all the help and understanding he has given us all. Make sure your dad is not depressed because this is very common for us also he need to not be bored find something he can do easy at first and build up as he gets stronger. I hope I have been some help.

God Bless

Donna

Comment

(updated 8/9/12)

Good points Donna and thanks for the prayers. I'll take all I can get!

I'm glad you're getting some relief and feeling like yourself again. In retrospect, it took me about a year before I felt the benefits of dialysis. I pushed it off for a couple years so I had a significant build up of toxins, I believe. But even today I deal with weakness and lethargy. I just push through it. I got a pad which uses the WiFi at the dialysis center and that helps the time fly by. It beats watching TV but I like watch The Turner Movie Channel with lots of old moves from the 30-40's and many "newer" ones from 50-60's. Your Dad might like that. Puzzle books and audio books are another good activity to make the time go faster. I admire people who can sleep! I can't.

Devon
        Last edited by DevonTexas; 08-09-2012, 08:50 AM.
        Fistula - March 2008

Comment

Hard candies are a good solution to dry mouth. Find one he likes. "Having" to eat candies is one of the benefits to dialysis.

Devon
          Fistula - March 2008

Comment

Hello..my name is Debbie and my sister Denise is the one that first posted on concerns of our 79 yr old Dad and 'new to dialysis' and his extreme weakness ... I appreciate everyone's response to this. But has anyone experienced, when at first you came on to dialysis you were doing ok, then found to get weaker in later weeks, he is in week 14 and now is using the wheelchair more, where at first was using the walker more. Say's his legs are weak, but still all his tests for heart, lungs, blood, eat well all is doing well? Going to go over all his numbers with the dialysis doctor on Monday. Any more thoughts are appreciated. Many thanks...Debbie and my sister, Denise.

Comment

Originally posted by Debbiemak View Post
              Hello..my name is Debbie and my sister Denise is the one that first posted on concerns of our 79 yr old Dad and 'new to dialysis' and his extreme weakness ... I appreciate everyone's response to this. But has anyone experienced, when at first you came on to dialysis you were doing ok, then found to get weaker in later weeks, he is in week 14 and now is using the wheelchair more, where at first was using the walker more. Say's his legs are weak, but still all his tests for heart, lungs, blood, eat well all is doing well? Going to go over all his numbers with the dialysis doctor on Monday. Any more thoughts are appreciated. Many thanks...Debbie and my sister, Denise.
              Hello,

I know you two are trying to help your father and we all understand that you must sometimes resort to drastic measures when your healthcare team says all the tesst are good. That places his healthcare back into your hands. Let's get beyond the disclaimers and move ahead here. I'm not on dialysis, I'm just a person with CKD.... not a doctor, but I sure know a lot of them!

Ultimately this will need to be taken up with his healthcare team but since you two know him best, you will have to judge his behavior not only on what the doctors are telling you but what your father is telling you in the ways that he is behaving.

If you are satisfied with the lab results, you feel that they are doing everything correctly with his treatments, then how is his attitude? Is he his normal self or has he changed? Eating, interacting, personal hygiene, etc.... Could he be depressed..... Can you pick up on any signal that he is sending that may be indicating a change in behavior? If you feel that he should not be getting weaker even though the tests indicate otherwise and you feel even though the advice given here to you by those who are on dialysis and have said it can take some time to acclimate, then you're best option is to revisit this with his healthcare providers and see what can be done.

Hopefully some of our members on dialysis can offer up some other thoughts here. I was just hoping if you thought back, there was anything about his behavior changing that you might remember. This is a BIG adjustment for your entire family and it is a life altering event for your father. Maybe he is having a difficult time adjusting.

I am really sorry, I hope you find some relief for your father.

All my best.
              Create signature while not logged in, edited through forums.davita.com on 08/15/2012 @ 12:53!!!!!

Comment

Thank you for input! Debbie

Comment

Yes. I've seen that and I'm experiencing it too. I am going on 60 and starting my fifth year of dialysis. In the first few years and until this year, I worked full time and drove myself to and from treatments. My son has to drive me now and help me into and out of treatment. I find myself getting weaker and weaker. I can still walk but I asked for a prescription for a wheelchair and will get and it and start using it. Also, my eyes are failing and it's getting worse and worse every week. I don't think it's dialysis that's contributing to all this but, rather, other medical problems. Dialysis is a treatment for kidney failure. Your Dad's other issues are probably being caused by other things. Check with his regular docs and have him gone over carefully. There are probably other issues that need attention.

Devon
                  Fistula - March 2008

Comment

Ihave the weakness also.the center says I will have to live with it. Wish I had a better answer than that.

Comment

This is pretty typical. A lot more than just fluid comes off. You lose toxins and other nutrients as well. I often rest the afternoon of treatment even if it went smoothly. We try to maintain a steady dry weight so the body doesn't have the back and forth with water gain. resting helops during the day because night are very restless for me. Find out what his dry weight should be and as technicians to carefully adhere to keeping it within a range.
                      Consider switching to Home-hemo if your dd has someone who can be trained to be the caregiver. Ask at your clinic visit if could help your dad. i am 20 years younger than your dad but have been on dialysis 15+ years 3+ have been Home-hemo. Still get sick about 3-5 hours later, but there is medicine that eases the discomfort. Ask DR recommendations. best of luck . Hope this helps a little. Faith to press on,
                      hoofpkr

Comment

Originally posted by Debbiemak View Post
                        Hi Debbie....How is your father doing now? Any updates. Hope he is well.

Comment

Working...
                        X