Post-Op PD Catheter Visit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Post-Op PD Catheter Visit...

They didn't tell me HOW TO DRAIN THE OLD DIALYSATE!!! I can't get it out of the bags no matter what I turn the little dial to. Am I supposed to just cut the hose open? I'm doing manual PD, & all they told me was to drain it in the tub or toilet, but not how to get it to start draining!! Figures, it's always the little things that get me stumped!
    Stage 5 ESDR
    Diabetic & Hypertension
    Currently on CAPD & waiting to start CCPD!
    Diagnosed 8/4/2011 PD started 8/29/11
    2 hospitalizations in August 2011

Let go & let GOD !

Comment

So you are sticking with just the manuals and no machine?
      Boyfriend is the renal patient:

Diabetes completely controlled with diet
      Hypertension better with the new med schedule.

PD as of 7/25/2011

Finally got the call on 12/20/2011 that he has been listed at Cedars Sinai.

Comment

I am on manuals for the 1st 4 weeks, after that, the dialysis clinic is going to get me on the overnite cycler, which I'm glad to do. It will make having to continue to work be so much easier, as I don't have my own office @ work to do an exchange. I am making arrangements to have access to an unused office/room in one of the hangars so I can do my exchange @ work. My schedule won't allow me to wait, cause I go in so early 6am & I go to bed so early-usually by 8:30/9:00pm. In order to be able to do an exchange in the am, I will have to get up around 3:45, so I can have time to get ready & have breakfast, now that I have to eat on a regular basis. I used to skip meals. I can't do that now, unless I want to wind up on the floor with EMS ready to take me to the hospital!
        Stage 5 ESDR
        Diabetic & Hypertension

Let go & let GOD !

Comment

My son bought me a large strainer (colander) that fits over the toilet. I usually just cut the bag (be careful, you have to cut it just right or solution will go all over the place) and throw the bag into the strainer to drain. I don't know if that would help you, but it works for me.
          Diagnosed with PKD in 1992
          On transplant list since Dec. 2009
          Peritoneal dialysis since March 2010

Comment

Well, hubby came home, took 1 look & said, "Oh look, you left the cap on the drain end, that's why it's not draining!" LOL So I got that "figured" out. Only thing is, I did my 2nd exchange @ 6:30, left to drain for approximately 15-20 minutes & removed 2000 ml in fluid, but my earlier exchanged only filled to 1500 ml. So I apparently had fluid buldup that didn't drain completely @ 2:00. So from now on, I'm gonna make sure I drain for about 20 minutes. It may take a little longer to complete an exchange, but at least this way I am sure I get everything out & start out with fresh dialysate.
            Stage 5 ESDR
            Diabetic & Hypertension

Let go & let GOD !

Comment

Plus I feel so full @ 2000, still need to work up to 2500!! How...can a person be too small in body size to use the full amount of 2500? I feel like I'm gonna blow up @ 2000!!
              Stage 5 ESDR
              Diabetic & Hypertension

Let go & let GOD !

Comment

Jesse didn't have any problems with doing the manuals but he loves the freedom he has now doing the cycler at night. He decided with the cycler because he works a lot (or at least he did before he got really sick) and manuals weren't going to work out for him at the job site because the bathrooms aren't the cleanest. He works in the maintenance department of a bus company and there is always dust and shop grease so that was a no go.

Now he just connects before bed, get's up in the morning and goes about his day. Hopefully he will be able to return to work next month.

And you sound like an expert now! Way cool.
                Boyfriend is the renal patient:

Diabetes completely controlled with diet
                Hypertension better with the new med schedule.

PD as of 7/25/2011

Finally got the call on 12/20/2011 that he has been listed at Cedars Sinai.

Comment

Originally posted by PatC63 View Post
                  Plus I feel so full @ 2000, still need to work up to 2500!! How...can a person be too small in body size to use the full amount of 2500? I feel like I'm gonna blow up @ 2000!!
                  You might want to discuss how you feel with your doctor. 2500 or even 2000 might be too much for your body size. I started out at 2000, but felt really sick, so they backed me down to 1500. I've been at 1500 per exchange ever since (even now that I'm on the cycler).

Comment

I know that the nurse @ the clinic said to increase to 2000 by tomorrow, so I think I will just go back to 1500 with my last exchange of the day & see how much fluid I draw out tomorrow morning. If I draw out a lot again, I'll call the clinic (it's forwarded to the on-call nurse on weekends & off hours). I did have a little edema @ my checkup today, the nurse said +1 edema on my legs. So maybe that's it, maybe I still have too much fluid inside. I am using the 2.5% & my 1st @ home exchange only drained out 1500 mls but maybe I didn't drain enough. I drew out an extra 500ml @ 6:30 after a longer drain time. I've been feeling really bloated since I filled with 2000. Really uncomfortable & my belly feels all hard & the exit site was extremely tender for the 1st hour or so, the tenderness has calmed down, but I haven't had any pain @ the exit site at all until 6:30 today. Not even after surgery!?!? Gonna call the nurse in the morning. Plus gotta make sure I have no leaking @ the cath site. No leaking means my exit site has healed properly. Wish me luck!
                    Stage 5 ESDR
                    Diabetic & Hypertension

Let go & let GOD !

Comment

I wish they would start you with a low volume (as low as possible) to give your exit site a bit more time to heal.
                      It does take time for it to heal completely.
                      But, with a low volume you won't get complete clearance, and
                      since you're not going to do hemo and PD at the same time..........hmmmmmm

Just take it easy, no lifting at all, or you'll see the entire DaVita forum group (yeah all of US) knocking at your door.
                      Oh what a site that would be LOL

Just play it safe. You do have a very new incision, and don't want to cause any trauma nor a hernia.

God Bless!!

I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

Pat,

I am so happy that you are doing so AWESOME!!! I think that we make things what they are and if you think positive you will have a good experience and if you think negative you will be miserable!!

I love the belly belt, I may have to look for that too, I am now using an ace bandage to keep my catheter in place and it works okay but I know there are better ways out there..... It does get really tight sometimes....

I know that things will get better and easier as you go. Pretty soon you are just doing things without any thought.... I know I do.

I am 94 lbs and I fill up at 2300 each filling. My last fill is only 1000 and I have that in my belly all day. It is really nice.....

I hope that you are able to back to work soon, you sure sound like you are excited to get back!!!

BIG HUGS and congrats on getting this far, girl!!

Patty
                        Patty Lewis
                        Stage 5 CKD
                        PD Dialysis since Dec 2009
                        On transplant list July 15, 2011
                        patty.lewis 19@ yahoo.com

Comment

I tried the Ace bandage too. That is until I had a wardrobe malfunction at church. The services were over and we were shaking hands and talking to other people when my mom (who was in a wheelchair and her eyes were level to my waist) looked over at me and said, "You've got something hanging." and she started laughing. I looked down and there was my catheter handing down below my sweater swinging to and fro. I was so embarrassed. That's the last time I wore an ace bandage. I've been wearing belly bands ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by PatC63 View Post
                            Only thing is, I did my 2nd exchange @ 6:30, left to drain for approximately 15-20 minutes & removed 2000 ml in fluid, but my earlier exchanged only filled to 1500 ml. So I apparently had fluid buldup that didn't drain completely @ 2:00. So from now on, I'm gonna make sure I drain for about 20 minutes. It may take a little longer to complete an exchange, but at least this way I am sure I get everything out & start out with fresh dialysate.

It's good to remove extra fluid. That's how we get toxins out of our body.
                            And get rid of excess water which can make your heart work harder.
                            The last thing you want is to re-absorb the solution.

One trick I learned from my nurses is while you're draining you can stand up and move around, dance, shake shake shake your body, LOL.
                            But seriously that way if any fluid is stuck somewhere gravity pull is out when you stand up.

On 1.5% I used to average 100-300 UF
                            on 2.5% ...............................400-700 UF
                            the few times I used a 4.5% for less than two hours I UF'd 1000+

Take care!!

Marina
                            I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Comment

You are really doing Amazingly Well PatC....I am so happy for you. I love hearing about your first days of PD, very revealing and reassuring. Keep up the great work....your "fans" want to hear all about it.
                              2000 - Doctors said I would be on Dialysis within 5 years
                              2011 - Still Pre-Dialysis
                              Sept 2011 - GFR: 15 Creatine 3.9
                              Too much of a good thing can be wonderful. - Mae West
                              Doing Good may not do any Good but do GOOD anyway

Comment

Wow, Wow,Wow! I feel positively amazed that so many people are rooting for me! And it is soooo reassuring to know that I'm not doing anything wrong. All this excess fluid...who knew that I had that much fluid buildup! I don't feel so scared that I screwed something up.
                                I was going by what I read in my ""Peritoneal Dialysis Patient Guide" that my clinic gave me & for 2.5% it would pull out an extra 300-500 cc of fluid, but I was getting out a little more than that, especially the last time! So I thought that maybe I was doing something wrong. But my BP is still kinda high at times, especially when I need to take my meds, which is 1st thing in the morning & late in the evening. I take it before I take my meds & it's high. I guess that's what doctor & I are working to fix, that continuous high BP. So this morning, I'm gonna do a bandage change. I don't feel it wet, but I need to take a good look at it to make sure. I am gonna go up slower to 2000, cause I really think that would be the max I could take.
                                Again, thank you to everyone for the wonderful way you keep cheering me on. I just hope that I can keep doing well & hope that once I get back to work, I can keep in regular touch here on these boards. I so look forward to hearing from everyone & hope I can continue to give some people hope for a good "new normal" as I've been having. Everyone is really so inspiring. I am more & more grateful as time goes on that these boards exist. They really are a blessing & helping me to keep my emotions on an even keel!
                                Stage 5 ESDR
                                Diabetic & Hypertension

Let go & let GOD !

Comment

Working...
                                X