Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heart racing at Dialysis after 30 minutes? is that normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The U.S. isnt much better, i have been at 3 different centers. I have been sat in bloody chairs, refusal to give me medical records, they changed my epo dose 9 times in 11 days. They dont act like professionals at all, dialysis is like the fast food of the medical industry. I am disgusted by the way they treat patients, especially the very old, who sometimes dont even know what they are doing to them. I have had the centers steal my time, and never update my medical info, dosages, etc.. It feels like i am at war and am kept fighting, it makes me so tired. I get all sorts of strange feelings, heart racing pains in my lungs and various other symptoms. It could also maybe be caused by them dehydrating you. They did this to me for a year keeping me really sick. You have to keep an eye on them. Also if they give you to much fluid at once it makes my heart race. I dont know what your problem is, but just keep insisting they keep doing tests. They like to pretend its no big deal, you have to be persistant. It gets very tiring, it would help if you have someone to help you.

Comment

I don't know where you've been but I've never run across anything like that before. Medicare routinely inspects dialysis centers at random and even interviews patients. You might want to check with them about filing a complaint. Renal Support Network (www.rsnhope.com) actually has a pod cast on their website addressing this issue.
      Whatever does not kill me makes me stronger...Neitzsche
      Flip

Comment

I can't imagine our center allowing such a thing as a bloody chair to be used. They are even right on top of wiping up the floor if a couple of drops of blood drips by accident. The chairs are thoroughly cleaned between clients. If you follow your diet and you are up front with your nurse when you are gaining or losing weight they should be able to adjust your fluid reduction appropriately so that you are not getting dehydrated. At our center the goal is no symptoms (cramping, headaches, backaches, lightheadedness, etc.) during dialysis. If your center is as bad as you say, you really should lodge a complaint against them as Flip suggested.
        To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

Hair Loss

Has anyone else here experienced hair loss, as a result of dialysis? I finally cut my hair when I first went on dialysis 7 mos. ago..it was long past my waist...and now, my hair is falling out to the point I look like I am a chemo victim!! I am already on Minoxidil for BP, so what's the deal? The doctor does not seem concerned about it..but I look and feel terrible!!! Will it grow back?? Do I need to consult a wigmaker???
          thanks

Comment

Dialysis Centers

My dialysis center is VERY clean..that's the only thing good I can say about them. They are pretty snippy if you are late...
            I always have a problem with low BP when I am there..so bad, that sometimes I can't leave, because I can't get out of the chair..they hate that..
            Sometimes, I have bowel problems (diarrhea), and they hate that..they make me take 2 Immodium before beginning treatment, but sometimes it doesn't work..so they insist I wear *Depends* into treatment..really degrading..they get angry if you need to use restroom, and sometimes just make you use bedpan..then you really hear it..mostly comments to each other, but it's still embarrassing..does anyone else have these problems?? Sometimes I just sit there and cry because they are so degrading..but, it's the only center around, so I don't have much of a choice.
            I know the nurses are overworked, but it's not my fault..why do they have to treat you so badly??

Comment

I am sorry your nurses are treating you so badly. I have not had a diarrhea problem, but the woman in the chair next to me often does. She does wear some Depends to her sessions because of this, but when this happens the nurses or techs discontinue her treatment and wheel her out to the isolation room to get cleaned up. They treat her very kindly and never imply that it is her fault.

Comment

That must be extremely difficult to deal with... It's terrible that they can't be at least somewhat accommodating considering your situation.

There was a woman in the clinic I went to that also had IBS and they disconnected her at least once during each treatment so they could wheel her to the restroom. I often overheard the techs who helped her express some attitude; however, I think it was because this patient was rude in general to the techs around her and not because of her IBS problem. In general they were still considerate in helping her to the restroom and everything.
                PurpleGirl
                Knowledge is Power!

Comment

I must be lucky then!
                  I have not had many issues with having to be taken off to go to the bathroom.

last year I had to go to the bathroom 4 times in one session and the nurses were nice about it.
                  I ended up finishing early as I was just not feeling well...I had gotten some bad food poisoning or something and was not well that week.

Most of the nurses when I am seem ok with the people that have to go to the washroom.

I can maybe think of 3 nurses that I really do not like that are just generally grumpy.
                  1 I do not like because she is always in a bad mood.

The other 2 nurses I had some issues with and complained because they refused to give me saline when I had severe muscle cramps and I had to finish early several times.
                  I did complain to the hospital and unit about it....but maybe I should have filed something with the nursing board as well.
                  At least those 2 nurses are not allowed to come near me now.

Comment

Originally posted by kolesgramma View Post
                    Has anyone else here experienced hair loss, as a result of dialysis? I finally cut my hair when I first went on dialysis 7 mos. ago..it was long past my waist...and now, my hair is falling out to the point I look like I am a chemo victim!! I am already on Minoxidil for BP, so what's the deal? The doctor does not seem concerned about it..but I look and feel terrible!!! Will it grow back?? Do I need to consult a wigmaker???
                    thanks
                    I was losing about half my hair when I started dialysis, and my dietitian recommended zinc for me. I don't know if it would help you or not. You should talk to your dietitian and even your pharmacist. My pharmacist recommended some vitamins just for healthy hair and nails and maybe switching conditioners. Since we usually have really dry skin on dialysis, we usually have really dry hair too, so get a good conditioner. Mine always grew back, but just losing it was annoying and kind of embarrassing, so I know what you mean.
                    Shannon
                    KidneyFun // Kidney Korner // Organ donation awareness products!
                    If the world didn't suck...........We'd all fall off!

Comment

mine does it

i have the same thing happenin to me i have probswith pulse racein after dialysis and u nead to talk to a dr but it could be as simpal as a dry wait just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by contagious View Post
                        i have the same thing happenin to me i have probswith pulse racein after dialysis and u nead to talk to a dr but it could be as simpal as a dry wait just a thought
                        Well,
                        I did go see someone at the hospital for some allergy tests and they told me that I am allergic to some of the chemicals that they use.
                        I am even reacting to the gauze thesedays- it actually turns my skin red in the spots it touches.

So far the only thing that was suggested to me was to take benadryl before going, again while I am there, then at home again.
                        I probably end up taking 20 regular benadryl that day and maybe 1 the next day if I am still very itchy.
                        I'm usually somewhat ok the next day.

They also did change my filter a year or 2 ago as I was allergic or reacting badly to something the filter was made with.

It's too bad they do not have a better solution for me.

Comment

Holy Moly, Ottawagirl -- 20 regular Benadryl in one day!! I am surprised you are alive, much less able to walk out of the dialysis center. The PDR lists 400mg in one day as the toxic dose. You really need to discuss your level of Benadryl use with a medical professional.

Comment

Originally posted by chefnancy View Post
                            Holy Moly, Ottawagirl -- 20 regular Benadryl in one day!! I am surprised you are alive, much less able to walk out of the dialysis center. The PDR lists 400mg in one day as the toxic dose. You really need to discuss your level of Benadryl use with a medical professional.
                            Well, maybe not 20 every day...but it seems that way anyhow.

I usually take 2 on dialysis days at 7 am, then again 2 more at 12pm or so, at 4pm take 2 more (or 3 if I am very itchy...as I am allergic to a lot of chemicals thesedays it seems an nothing else helps), and sometimes 2 more at 9pm.

But I do see your point that it is a lot to be taking.
                            I did speak to several of the doctors there, was sent for allergy tests and then just told to take a bunch of benadryl.

If there was something else they could change it would be nice.
                            Every time I leave the hospital I am extremely itchy for the rest of that day

I just double checked my bottle and the ones I have here are only 25mg.
                            I'm not sure if the ones you get in the US are a higher dose or what exactly.
                            If I were to take 10 in a day, that is only 250mg total

Comment

Yes, but 20 would be 500 mg and you might find yourself in an emergency room!! Just because it is over the counter does not mean that it is benign.

Comment

not a dr

It sounds to me as if it might be as simple as an anxioty attack. There is no explaining why and when they mosey along.
                                If they have not considered that, its easy to treat.
                                May God have mercy on us all

CK

Idiopathic globular membranous nephritis 1999-2006
                                Feb 2006 Dx about 1-2 yrs before dialysis. Dialysis start 6-2006
                                Chest Cath 4 mos in center hemo dialysis
                                Fistula, button holes, self stick days 07-09 in center hemo
                                Graft nocturnal hemo 4Q09 to present

Comment

Working...
                                X