Dialysis and Weight Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dialysis and Weight Loss

Hey all! Since September 2014 I have worked very hard to reduce my weight from an astounding 318 to 212. It has changed my life obviously but, more importantly, it has so improved my dialysis experience. You can read the three part series of posts at my blog at www.DevonTexas.com or by clicking on the link below.

I'd like to encourage other patients who are overweight to improve their lives and the dialysis experience by losing that weight. It's not easy but neither is suffering from carrying all that weight around. Imagine! I am not carrying 100 pounds around everyday, making me exhausted just getting through a day. Now I have energy I haven't felt in decades! I want you to have that energy,

In dialysis I now have a much easier access. My access used to be a full center meter deep! Often the tech was forced to dig and dig with that 15 gauge needle, using as many as 5 needles to find it under all that fat in my arm. Finally they would use an inch and a quarter needle, going straight down and taping it carefully to avoid any chance it would lose that precarious penetration. You know the pain of multiple sticks! Today, my access is right on the surface and easily found. I don't want my fellow patients to suffer as I did.

I hope this was helpful.

Devon
    Okay, it's it a new year and time for the resolutions and followup.   Many of us will resolve to reduce our weight.   In September of 2014, I did.  As of 1 January 2016, I'm 92.5 pounds reduced (not lost because that implies I'll fimd them again and I don't want to ever find…
    Last edited by DevonTexas; 04-21-2016, 11:01 AM.
    Fistula - March 2008
    Began Dialysis - August 2008
    Fistula Revision - Feb 2011

Dialysis Patient Citizens, Patient Ambassador
    NW14 ESRD Network, Patient Advisory Committee Member
    CDC Infections Control Discussion Panel Member
    National Kidney Foundation Peer-to-Peer Mentor

Blog: www.DevonTexas.com

Hi Devon! Thank you for sharing your positive and inspirational story! I'm sure it will help others going through the same thing, which is exactly what these forums are for! Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions surrounding myDaVita. I hope you have a great day and weekend ahead!

Comment

I hope y'all understand I'm not pressuring anyone to get bariatric surgery for weight reduction. For me, it worked well. I had tried everything in the book to control my weight but with CKD, the lack of energy, the stress of beginning dialysis; they all contributed to my weight gain. I had some other more important things to deal with, right? Finally I had time to deal with it. Over the years, I had tried most everything, every method, to lose weight but without success. With the support and assistance of my dietician and nephrologist, I set about the course that has me at 100 pounds reduced so far. Read about "Dialysis and Weight Loss"
      Okay, it's it a new year and time for the resolutions and followup.   Many of us will resolve to reduce our weight.   In September of 2014, I did.  As of 1 January 2016, I'm 92.5 pounds reduced (not lost because that implies I'll fimd them again and I don't want to ever find…
      Last edited by DevonTexas; 05-21-2016, 06:14 AM.
      Fistula - March 2008

Comment

If you are really a patient ambassador, why don't you answer questions emailed to you and posted on your blog? As far as I can tell you are only on here to promote your blog and any other type of scam you might be running at the time. If you really are what you profess to be prove it by posting where we can write to the ESRD Network and check your credentials. So many people on this forum are spammers, I checked you blog and website many times and they are rarely kept up to date. You can not post replies to Devontexas' website or blog unless he/she/it approves of your opinion. What are you scared of?

Comment

Wow Kelsey I have written to you several times and you have never replied to my requests for answers or help. I have told you about the problems with my nephrologist. I am reaching out to you now or do you discriminate and only help certain worthy people? You have yet to help me get my old "LoganWon" profile back and have not helped me with the problems with the nephrologist degrading the patients at our center. Are you all show and no go?

Comment

Originally posted by Loganone View Post
            Wow Kelsey I have written to you several times and you have never replied to my requests for answers or help. I have told you about the problems with my nephrologist. I am reaching out to you now or do you discriminate and only help certain worthy people? You have yet to help me get my old "LoganWon" profile back and have not helped me with the problems with the nephrologist degrading the patients at our center. Are you all show and no go?
            Hi Loganone, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I am still waiting to hear about your old profile and getting access to that again. I will check in and follow up with you. I did send you a direct message back regarding your Nephrologist. Please let me know if you have any other questions and I hope you have a great day!

Comment

Originally posted by Loganone View Post
              If you are really a patient ambassador, why don't you answer questions emailed to you and posted on your blog? As far as I can tell you are only on here to promote your blog and any other type of scam you might be running at the time. If you really are what you profess to be prove it by posting where we can write to the ESRD Network and check your credentials. So many people on this forum are spammers, I checked you blog and website many times and they are rarely kept up to date. You can not post replies to Devontexas' website or blog unless he/she/it approves of your opinion. What are you scared of?

Sorry. I don't come here often anf, if you sent a comment on my blog site, I never got it. I usually get an email when I get a message here or on my blog. For some strange reason, you are not getting through. I hope you find relief to your situation. But I might advise not being swing acerbic in your approach. It's off putting at best. To accuse me of scamming it just flat rude.
              Fistula - March 2008

Comment

I think he was changing the thread to talk with "Kelsey", and I don't think he realizes that Kelsey is a bot and not a real human being.

Comment

Working...
                X