Work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work!

I was windering if anyone is working a full-time job and is on peritoneal dialysis. Im 23 and recently a job offer working full-time 9-5 and I havent told them during the interview that I was on dialysis because I was afraid of not getting the job because "I wasnt the right fit" rather than because I'm on dialysis. I just want to be like any normal person and work full-time and not worry about doing dialysis. I currently have a cycler that runs through the night for 8 1/2 hours and I do one daily exchange during the day. Its only one exchange during the day but since I want to work full-time I dont know if anyone else out there knows if there is way not to do that or have any suggestions on what I should do or how to bring it up to my new boss? Thanks

Don't bring up ANYTHING until you are hired.

Comment

Yeah thats what I figured. They called and offered the job to me on Friday and I accepted.

Comment

That's great news....good luck with the new job!
        2000 - Doctors said I would be on Dialysis within 5 years
        2011 - Still Pre-Dialysis
        Sept 2011 - GFR: 15 Creatine 3.9
        Too much of a good thing can be wonderful. - Mae West
        Doing Good may not do any Good but do GOOD anyway

Comment

thank you!

Comment

That's a difficult situation indeed. I see you got the job. When did you bring up the issue of dialysis? How did you work that out.

I ask because I recently settled an EEOC case for ADA and ADEA discrimination on the part of my former employer. I wrote about it in several postings on my blogsite. The latest is HERE or om this link.....
            http://devontexas.wordpress.com/2013...iation-update/
            Fistula - March 2008
            Began Dialysis - August 2008
            Fistula Revision - Feb 2011

Dialysis Patient Citizens, Patient Ambassador
            NW14 ESRD Network, Patient Advisory Committee Member
            CDC Infections Control Discussion Panel Member
            National Kidney Foundation Peer-to-Peer Mentor

Blog: www.DevonTexas.com

Comment

I have not told my manager yet about my dialysis. I intend to tell her when I start working. I start with orientation tomorrow for two days then I start in the office. I do CAPD so I have a cycler that runs through the night and I do one daily exchange during the day. I would only have to do my dialysis somewhere at the offfce or figure out a different process with my doctor like possibly doing an exchange when I got home from work or something along those lines. Im just very nervous about telling my manager because I dont want her to think of me differently or fire me within the 90 day period and just say I wasnt a "right fit". I just want to be normal and have a full time job and work through a day without having my dialysis get in the way.

Comment

Congratulations on the job. I know that from talking with people, they always bring up the EEO situation, but the "real world" doesn't allow for legalities and niceties like allowing for new employees personal issues, especially not in this economic climate. Hopefully you've managed OK since you started the new job.

Comment

Some employers are exceptional! I have managed to continue to work full time and plan to, right up to the day of my transplant! I also assured them I fully intend to come back to work the second I am able. So long as they can see yu are committed and get your work done, you could also find that your new employer is as fabulous as mine! Best of luck!!! There ARE great employers out there and I hope you found one too

Comment

Originally posted by clarrivee View Post
                    I was windering if anyone is working a full-time job and is on peritoneal dialysis. Im 23 and recently a job offer working full-time 9-5 and I havent told them during the interview that I was on dialysis because I was afraid of not getting the job because "I wasnt the right fit" rather than because I'm on dialysis. I just want to be like any normal person and work full-time and not worry about doing dialysis. I currently have a cycler that runs through the night for 8 1/2 hours and I do one daily exchange during the day. Its only one exchange during the day but since I want to work full-time I dont know if anyone else out there knows if there is way not to do that or have any suggestions on what I should do or how to bring it up to my new boss? Thanks
                    I was able to work on Peritoneal Dialysis with no problems. I never told my employer that I was on dialysis. You are not required to do so and I felt if I did, I would not be treated as an equal. I was able to work full time for 7 years until I developed a very rare condition of Long term Peritoneal Dialysis called Encapsulating Peritoneal Sclerosis. I was on PD for 12 years.... throughout some high school and college. I never had any issues and never missed a single day due to issues with PD up until the last part where I developed EPS. In my opinion, I would not suggest telling them. But this is certainly your choice.
                    NxStage - Since April - 06
                    Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Comment

I started working full time and have decided not to tell my manager. My doctor put me on a different program on my cycler so I wouldnt have to do an exchange. Im so happy everything worked out!

Comment

Congratulations on your job! I'm glad you didn't tell your manager, you are not obliged to and it's no business what you do after you go to bed. Just a bad joke to brighten your day. Best of luck.

Comment

Well, I'm working for a rather crappy employer (many, many issues here, so I won't even get into them), so I have decided to TELL them about my situation, in hopes that, yes, they DO terminate me, so that I can earn the $405/week on unemployment while looking for a new job, AND sue them for an ADA violation. Unfortunately, since I've let them know, I think they suspect my intentions, so I guess my position is safe.

Comment

Dac0214, make sure you document everything and keep copies at home, not in the workplace. If they fire you, you may not have a chance to gather that before you're shown the door. Also, you can file an ADA charge but that doesn't mean the EEOC will pick it up. It can take over a year or more before you find out if they decide to follow through on the charges. You have to prove the company did something to violate the ADA law. They won't do the work for you. Best of luck. I hope you find a better place to work.

BTW, I blogged about my experience with the EEOC, ADA and ADEA experience on my blog at www.DevonTexas.com

Devon
                            Fistula - March 2008

Comment

There's excellent advice here for you to consider. After the 90 day period, you can tell your manager but make sure you do it in a memo form and keep a copy of it and any responses you might get. Keep copies at home, not in the office. If they suddenly decide they have a problem with your medication situation, you can document what was written. If they say something to you, make notes with times and dates and what was said. Keep those notes at home.

In your memo to the manager, mention that you do all this outside your work and that it shouldn't interfere with your work. However, there may be times when you have medical problems associated with it and these may require you to use your sick time. Otherwise, you are ready and able to perform your job as you have during the 90 day period.

Again. this is a suggestion. You should do what you think is right for you and this work situation.

Devon
                              Fistula - March 2008

Comment

Working...
                              X