Trouble dealing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble dealing

My mother was diagnosed with renal failure about 6 months ago. At the time it was reversible, but an unfortunate chain of events in November has lead her to being on dialysis.
    I don't know how to deal with it and I don't know where to turn. Also I really don't understand. Could anyone help me with some information or some guidance? I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: Trouble dealing

Originally posted by a7xrubberbaby View Post
    My mother was diagnosed with renal failure about 6 months ago. At the time it was reversible, but an unfortunate chain of events in November has lead her to being on dialysis.
    I don't know how to deal with it and I don't know where to turn. Also I really don't understand. Could anyone help me with some information or some guidance? I would greatly appreciate it.
    i left you a private message, check under your user name when you log in, Ok
    Glo

Comment

Welcome! The good news is that dialysis in not the end of life. There are changes to lifestyle, diet and a whole new set of doctors and people in your life. But there is hope for those of us on dialysis and our friends and family. With some understanding and support, we can usually maintain our current lifestyles. Many of us work full time, are busy soccer moms/dads, volunteer with church/local groups. Dialysis is just like a second job. It is somewhere that we must go, the machine is doing the function of our kidneys. There should be a dietitian and social worker that you can talk to about the diet restrictions, the emotional changes, the new lifestyle and how to cope. Of course you have all of us too. Just ask anything, vent when you need to and know we have "been there done that"

in center hemo dialysis since May 2009
      Sudden ESRD - non diabetic (but have 2 at home)
      turned down for list "lack of support" WHAT!!! starting over at different transplant center)

Comment

ditto on Okiecowgirl's advice!

It's overwhelming at first but you will get the hang of it. Research via google about dialysis and treatment centers and there is lots of information here at Davita.com too. I especially like and enjoy the recipies they offer. The first time I downloaded about two dozen! Cooking is my hobby so I view renal-friendly recipies as a pleasant diversion to the fact that I spend 20 hours a week in a chair having my blood cleaned because my kidneys can't do their job anymore.
        Fistula - March 2008
        Began Dialysis - August 2008
        Fistula Revision - Feb 2011

Dialysis Patient Citizens, Patient Ambassador
        NW14 ESRD Network, Patient Advisory Committee Member
        CDC Infections Control Discussion Panel Member
        National Kidney Foundation Peer-to-Peer Mentor

Blog: www.DevonTexas.com

Comment

Working...
        X