Need answers, not sure what to think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need answers, not sure what to think

HI, I'm not sure if this is where I'm suppose to ask these questions or not.

I've been having a lot of pain in my kidneys. I haven't been diagnosed with a kidney disease. I have had what my doctors says is an enormous amount of Protein in my urine. So she ordered a sonogram, and multiple urine tests. Sonogram showed no stones, or masses, and urine test showed no infection,.
    The pressing from the sonogram, caused me a lot of pain, it's been over a week and I'm still aching, and not sure what is causing it. I'm very worried about this. It doesn't seem to want to go away.
    I have to wait until next week to find out what is next, if anything, I don't want to play around with this. Can anyone tell me how long inflamation on the kidneys is too long, and what can cause that.
    Have any of you had, Protein, and the no protein, and then again have protein in your urine?
    I've been having pain in my kidneys now for about 6 weeks. maybe longer
    thank you for any help you can provide

Protein in the urine and back pain are both signs of ESRD (End Stage Renal Disease). I would suggest getting labs drawn to check the function of your kidneys ASAP. I could be wrong, but it's best not to take chances. Some doctors tend to miss kidney disease. I'm sure more people will post that have had similar issues, but I still think you should get your kidney function checked.
    Shannon
    KidneyFun // Kidney Korner // Organ donation awareness products!
    If the world didn't suck...........We'd all fall off!

Comment

Have a question?

Hi
      I have had chronic kidney failure for about 3 years now. Just all of a sudden went into Kidney Failure and they didn't know why. I am having Chronic Airway obstruction of some sort now so I went to a lung spealist. He thinks that I have vasculitis. That would be what is causing my kidney failure. I have been holding steading now for 3 years at 32% kidney function. I just had a blood test to check my creatine and it went up. Now my GFR is 24%. So now I am in Stage 4 kidney disease. What happens next? I haven't talk to my doctor yet as he was not the one who took the blood test , as I see many doctors. I faxed over the bood work and waiting for his phone call back. Could someone tell me if I could be having any symptoms yet as I don't feel real well lately. This is my first time on here.

Comment

Dr.

Have you seen a nephrologist? What are your symptoms? It is a really good idea to be your own advocate and get some answers - especially if you aren't feeling very well.

Comment

Your next step would be to get a nephrologist (if you don't already have one) and start learning about the disease, the diet, the medications, and your options. Most of this can be found at www.kidneyschool.com and this forum.
          Shannon

Comment

Finding you have kidney disease or finding out that it has suddenly gotten worse can be pretty overwhelming. The others are right to tell you to get to a nephrologist as soon as you can. At 24% you may still be able to preserve some function by following diet and medication recommendations. Be sure to ask all the questions you have -- write them down so you don't forget them. No quesiton is stupid. Come here and ask as many questions as you like, also. Hope this helps you.
            To the stars through difficulty!

Comment

Thank You

Just wanted to thank everyone for your answers. I know at 24% kidney function that isn't that bad. I do have a kidney doctor and see him every six months. I did fax over my new creatine level to him. The nurse said he would look at it and call me back. He hasn't called yet as I know it isn't an emergency. One more question please. When do you start to get a fistula put in? I am more tired than normal in the past 2 weeks and alittle nauseated at times and my back hurts alittle. My urine is orange at times. I do drink alot ,so I know that I am not deydrated. Bad speller,sorry.

Holly

Comment

If you are drinking enough I don't know what would be causing your urine to be orange. Usually the urine of a well-hydrated adult is pale yellow in color. As for fistula placement, it needs to be done 4-6 months before the anticipated date for starting dialysis. It takes almost no time to heal up from the surgery, but it takes about 4 months for the fistula to mature enough to be used for dialysis. You don't want to do it too early or it may die from lack of use.

Comment

Originally posted by Hephalumpet View Post
                  Just wanted to thank everyone for your answers. I know at 24% kidney function that isn't that bad. I do have a kidney doctor and see him every six months. I did fax over my new creatine level to him. The nurse said he would look at it and call me back. He hasn't called yet as I know it isn't an emergency. One more question please. When do you start to get a fistula put in? I am more tired than normal in the past 2 weeks and alittle nauseated at times and my back hurts alittle. My urine is orange at times. I do drink alot ,so I know that I am not deydrated. Bad speller,sorry.

Holly
                  The orange urine sounds like maybe there's a little blood in it, unless you are taking some sort of vitamin or antibiotic...sometimes those can cause urine discoloration. Most people don't start dialysis until 10-15%, so you still have some time...Do you know how quickly your kidney function got to where it is now?
                  Shannon

Comment

Shay
                    My urine isn't orange anymore. I think that there probably was blood in it. I wasn't taking any vitamins or antibiotics. I have been having terriable pain on my right side around to my back for about 3 weeks now. I had my creatine checked again by my neph doctor but he has been out of town for two weeks. So I don't know what it is. He wanted to recheck it as my last one was the end of December. My phosphate was alittle high also. I seem to be having some sort of spasms on both sides of my back. They feel really weird. I use to get them once in a while, now I have been getting them most of the day off and on.I wish I knew why my side hurt? Every time I get this I go to the doctor and they check if I have stones or an infection and nothing. They tell me the pain can't be from my kidneys.Fine if it isn't my kidneys but what is it. I feel so helpless and don't know who to turn to. My abdoman feels swollen also. Its hard to sit sometimes as I feel there is like something in the weigh. My husband keeps telling me to go to the hospital. But for what so they can tell me they don't know why I am having this pain in my side. Does anyone have pain on their sides. Their back around to their front? Please let me know.

Comment

This kind of sounds...Actually it sounds EXACTLY like this member of my website, who has chronic pancreatitis, except he gets nausea and vomiting from eating, esp fatty foods. Other than that, I have no clue what would cause it...Sorry.
                      Shannon

Comment

Long ago, before my kidneys got bad, I used to get those kinds of pains. I was told that it was microscopic kidney stones trying to pass. However, if you are having pain that is not relieved by something like Tylenol, you should get to a doctor.

Comment

I am going to the doctor tomorrow. I can't stand the pain anymore. They better help me or I just might looose it and start yelling. Becuase I can't live like this and no one should have to live with pain like this without an explanation. There is something really wrong and I want it to go away. I got my creatine level back today and it was 2.2. Which isn't that bad but it was at 1.6 and now it went to this. How many years could I go with out doing dyalasis yet? I know not everyone is the same but could some one give me a ruff estimant.

Holly

Comment

Those are pretty low creatinine numbers. The time when you go on dialysis doesn't totally depend upon your creatinine numbers, but it would be rare to find someone on dialysis with a creatinine of less than 4 or 5. If you follow a renal diet and take medications to control high blood pressure and diabetes if those conditions are relevant, you could go a long time before you would need dialysis. It usually takes years for creatinine to increase from where you are to the point of dialysis. I will caution you, however, that every case is different and sometimes the disease progresses very quickly. So listen to your doctors. I agree with you that they need to do something about your pain and also agree with the others that it may not be related to your kidney disease but to some completely different condition. Good luck with your dr. appointment.

Comment

Working...
                            X